Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

World Speed Record

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

World Speed Record

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: World Speed Record

Humongousness... LOL

A satellite just accelerating until it runs into something doesn't sound very "controlled" to me... it may be called "radio monitored" or something, but it's hardly "radio controlled" Even bacteria need food... you can't make something out of nothing.

Does dropping a chunk of lead (with a receiver, battery and servo strapped to it) out of a cargo plane count? You just might have come up with a new way to break the record... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
JMP_blackfoot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Laggard
What's the absolute world speed record for a radio controlled model aircraft? I checked the FAI but can't make sense of the various categories.
The category is F3 Open(Aeroplane, piston motor) (http://records.fai.org/models/current.asp?id=192)

ORIGINAL: Troy-RCU
The reason the speed record dates are 'out of date' is because it is a pretty big undertaking to lay out the equipment in FAI style and you then have to get FAI officials (at your expense) to fly in and officiate the event. Many of the competition records are updated frequently because the contests are organized to FAI standards already. To date, there are no official FAI speed contests so you have to create one.
I organised two record attempt days FAI Style in France in 1989 and 1992.
It is a fairly big undertaking, as you say. Regarding FAI officials, FAI approved national officials are adequate, so it may not be such a hindrance to find them in your own country.
The model has to fly in a speed trap of length 200m., between 5m and 35m. altitude. It must be between the same altitude limits in the 100m. before entering the 200m speed trap.
Diving into the speed trap is thus out of the question, although entering at 35m altitude and exiting at 5m. is worth valuable extra speed! Takes some pilot to play that game, though...
The time over 200m. is measured flying both ways, any number of times in a single flight, within 1/2 hour. The best speeds of any runs in the single flight both ways are averaged to obtain the official speed.
Altitude measuring is not a big problem (I can explain how to interested parties).
One big difficulty is that the timing of speeds over 300 km/h must be automatic. I believe that it is the main reason why this record has not been improved since 1971 (!!).
After the record day, there remains an interesting amount of paperwork to perform, to get the record officially recognised.
In 1989, flying an OS60 side-exhaust mini-piped engine, we officially recorded 278 km/h (172,78 mph). Then in 1992, we recorded 328km/h (203 mph). The power was a piped OS61 (Avionized Marine engine) turning an 8x12 prop around 23,000 rpm. The plane looks similar to an enlarged C/L speed model. This French record is still standing.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I-Love-Jets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there most probably will happen a new World Speed Record – fully approved by FAI regulations – this year 2007

in Germany.

Aerodynamically updated purpose built speed airframes matching the FAI 75 grams/dm^2 rule have been CAD designed+milled and special customized or custom made 9.xx cc engines will be used. Also new CAD prop designs will be applied. Stay tuned!

The very accurate fully automatic (optically triggered) speed trap of last years speed cup will be used for these record attempts.

See also post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5273689 for pics.

P.S. The old Russian record was already broken last German Speed Cup using 10 cc OPS engine power – INOFFICIALLY (no FAI sport referees were present).
Old 03-10-2007, 09:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It will be nice to see that 35 year old record that was most likely set by a Soviet government fully subsidized team taken off the books.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:55 AM
JMP_blackfoot

The story goes that in 1971 the Russians had picked a U-shaped valley wherein the wind direction changed frequently, sometimes at less than 1/2 hour intervals. At the time, unlike now, manual timing was used, and the two best runs within 1/2 hour could be timed on different flights (i.e. landing was allowed between the runs). I don't remember the figures, but the speeds on both runs were vastly different. Still, it is a definite challenge to reach these speeds under the FAI rules. In 1992, I took our speedtrap to a Jet model competition. Of course, everybody wanted to be timed, especially the flyers who claimed over 300 km/h. Suffice to say that once the REAL figures were known, there was no desire to bring anything but radar guns for the following meetings.
After our French record setting in 1992, my team mate who was the pilot insisted that the then altitude limits should be lowered. At the time, one had to fly between 10 and 40 meters. He claimed that flying lower was much easier and safer. This is why we had the FAI rules changed to 5 and 35 meters. Not being a good enough pilot to fly such fast models, I have no first hand experience, and always wondered about flying low being easier. What is the opinion of readers of this thread?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:31 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

35 meters is over a hundred feet...that's "way up there" to me...

I don't think I would feel very comfortable at 15 feet at speeds approaching 200 M.P.H. though? I might level off near the end of the trap at around there, but it would only be for a second or so before zooming back up for another pass?

Of course, some of the pylon guys would say 15 feet is "way up there"

Guess it's all relative...I'm thinking that once you get used to a really fast airplane, flying it low isn't a problem...
Old 03-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Rudeboy

I don't know about a 200m speed trap (never tried it), but I do know that pylon racing "appears" to get easier as you fly lower. For me at least. I suppose it has to do with orientation. It is just easier to stay "in the groove" when flying low. It is also a great way to shake off opponents: how low can you go...? It is also great for wrecking planes I used to stand under pylon 1 often when I was a teenager, and I once had to radio in one of the contestants, because he nearly took the flag out of me hands every turn... he was consistently flying under 10 feet... I was not really worried about the flag, but rather the plastic safety helmet I was wearing.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

200m is over 2 football (our "football") fields long...over 600'...hmmm...???
Going a little over 200 m.p.h. that would only take 2 seconds to travel though![X(]
Old 03-12-2007, 12:17 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't we record the air speed of the planes? they're not land based crafts.
Also you have to take in account the altitude of your flying field for air density. Flying at sea level is quite different than flying at, say 2500 ft.
I believe the speed Should be measured, plane relative to air. With this, gliders do play a roll. In a dive the glider is using gravity as a propulsion, it will reach it's maximum aerodynamic speed (everything, including a lead wieght, has one).
Turbines are great for velocity, but they have there own design drawbacks for speed also.
The biggest reason why the turines are better than our prop planes in this area, is the darn prop.
A plane can actually out fly it's prop and the prop will act as an air brake. That's the reason for FAI C/L speed freaks using a single sided prop with a counter balance on the other end.
EDF planes are creeping up on the turbines because they have the torque and RPM that the nitro ducted fans don't. But now they spin so fast that they run out of air.
I still believe, get a rocket on a drone that is pretty much a sloper, drop it from another plane wayyy down, ignite, control plane, contact friend who is 1/2 mi. up to turn on and take over the plane, and hopefully the plane will finish it's flight and land without killing anyone in the process.
I think that would break any unlimited private R/C speed record. Anyone up for it?

DM
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: vintageflyer

..........EDF planes are creeping up on the turbines because they have the torque and RPM that the nitro ducted fans don't.............
Negative. EDF's are a good step ahead of Nitro duct fans but will never be in the same ball park as a turbine and with the coming of the two stage turbine to the RC market the Step Ahead will be just that much further then any ducted fan setup.

kc
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Rudeboy

The neat thing about electric motors is their "constant torque". Piston engines, especially highly tuned ones, have a very narrow power (torque) band. So the engine-fan system needs to be very well designed in order to function well. In electric motors, torque is directly proportional to input current and has very little to do with rpm.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 AM
JMP_blackfoot

The German Speed Championships were run last week-end.
The result list can be seen here :
http://www.f3s-speedcup.de/ergebnisse.php
Speeds are in km/h
Classes are as follows:
F3S-A : 0 to 3.50 cubic centimeter
F3S-B : 3.51 to 6.50 cc
F3S-C : 6.51 to 10.0 cc
F3S-D : 10.01 to 15.0 cc
F3S-E : Electric power, 7 cell NimH
F3S-F : Electric power, any type battery, 72V max open voltage
It is to be noted that no FAI World Record could be registered, because models were over the FAI 75g/sqdm max wing loading (German local rules allow up to 250 g/sqdm!).
Still, the speeds are quite impressive, especially considering they were obtained in level flight over 200m, as per FAI.