Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Nelson 40 or jett50

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Nelson 40 or jett50

Old 06-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson 40 or jett50

well as you know i am abotu to order a jett fire 50 but then i saw that i could get a used nelson on ebay for less would this be a faster combo with a viper or am i best to stick with a new jett 50?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: Nelson 40 or jett50

one note, if i get the nelson i would have to put a carb on it i dont ahve the guts to go with a venturi, not on my first speed plane anyways

Right now i am sirously leanign towards the jett because i prefer new thigns when there this expensife (who knows one lean run and it could be nothign more then a shiny paper wight) so unless there is a real reason i think il stick to the jett id jsut like to make sure im dogint the right thing...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I would go for a shiny new Jett, but that is just my .02 as you mentioned "used" can have different meanings depending on the "user".

The Jett will idle like any other Sport Engine which takes some of the nervousness out of flying your first speed plane, besides you can use it on a plethora of airframes down the road---
Old 06-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick with the Jett....you will love it.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:31 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

If you were to go with the Nelson 40, do not consider the Q40 motor w/venturi. Look for a Nelson 40 Q500 motor with barrel carb.

There has been a lot of very good Nelson's sold recently due to the new "long stroke" version that came out this spring. I saw that Terry Frazier was selling two of his "fast time" motors from the 2004 and 2006 National Championship. These are Nelson Q500 motors that are as good as anything out there. Terry takes good care of his stuff, and I would buy anything from him. Not sure what he wants for them, but you can email him at [email protected] if interested.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

Stick with the Jett....you will love it.
I agree. I have 2 of the FIRE 50's and love em!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Cyclic_ Hardover

Jett. Theres more to it than just buying these things. To me it's customer service. I've ragged on this forever but it plays a big part in most of my purchases. Jett has it. If you buy a used nelson off ebay and have problems, might not be cost effective to fix it.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Unless your into racing, most people don't know a thing about Nelson engines. Support is just as good through Dave Shadel on a Nelson motor. Just send him the motor and he will fix whats wrong with it, fairly.

Dubb does a great job, and I have several of his motors, but don't discount the nelson stuff. There has been a lot of great deals on Nelson motors that people would have spent huge money on last year. The new Nelsons have caused many people to dump top of the line stuff recently.

Most of what I have seen for sale would be great buys for the average sport flyer at a fraction of the cost.

I too have always been sceptical of used performance equipment, but a well cared for Nelson will perform awesome for well over 200 flights if needled properly.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Ed Smith

For a variety of reasons I have not raced this year. However I still go out at least once a week and spend a morning flying a racer. One can get a lot of three minute flights in a morning. For this I use an old Nelson 428 engine. The engine is twelve years old and apart from the muffler is all original. Sure it is past its prime and there is no pinch at the top end. It still goes fast enough to intimidate the other club members.

The point here is that quality built and properly cared for engines, such as Nelson and Jett, will last for many years even with a lot of use.

Ed S
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

FF: Great input herein (by others) Go with the Jett, the overall sport performance is outstanding. Be sure to go with the "LX" version, it will idle and transition like no other engine out there, or ever experienced by you. In addition, it will scream, just a vew K-rpms under the racilng engine, be user friendly and seem to run foreaver. ENJOY
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
russm

jett, they are as realiable as a os
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to buy a racing engine that idles???? I bought a new Nelson Q40 from Dave and explained the application I intended it for. He set it up with a large bore ST 4500 R/C carb. W.O.T. was same as straight venturi and the idle was reasonable. Transition was instant! Throttle on a Nelson is like a clutch on a top fuel dragster. The only reason you use the clutch in drag racing is if you want to stop and leave the engine running!!! These engines are of a higher standard and never to be placed in the classification of "Sport" engines no matter what airframe they are mounted to. I prefer the Nelson but the Jett would probably be considered more user friendly. Just one mans opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63640.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	713200  
Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Who makes your delta Speedy?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

The delta that I am holding is called a "Rapier" and was originally a kit manufactured by a British firm called Balsacraft. Later it was manufactured as an ARF but the ARF would not have held up to the power of the Nelson Q40. I started with the basic kit and strengthened it throughout with carbon fiber reinforcement and fully sheeted the airframe. Deltas are fine for straight line speed but do not lend themselves to turning well at high speeds unless you have the CG perfect. Once you get the CG set they are quite responsive but if nose heavy they are hard to turn. Tailheavy and you have got a real tiger by the tail. The model was ungodly fast with the Q40 and ST 4500 RC carb. Good thing I had a carb on it because I had to back out of it to get it to turn. If I wanted to keep the power on I had to do "Split-S's" which is my manuver of choice for a high speed model. The model had the illusion of accelerating in a turn. Rolls were unbelievable and perfectly axial.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 PM
freakingfast

I like the looks of it. It must be aero- dynamically "clean" to go quick with the small disc area prop that Q 40 engines thrive on.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 PM
freakingfast

Looks like Balsacraft is gone. Hummm..maybe RCM can list it in their model plans inventory?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

There were no plans. It was built by 3D diagrams and instructions. Everything was "tab-lock" construction. I now fly a highly modified Lanier "Shrike" that is an excellent handling model. Great flight envelope but must be strengthened. The wing thickness can be narrowed by 20%. This really gives the Shrike a kick in the butt! Here is a picture of an older Shrike of mine with a K/B 7.5cc DF engine. This model is an old friend of mine and is very predictable but deadly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56246.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	713809