Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

(Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

(Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

ORIGINAL: daven

Just caught up on this thread, great job Mike. Did you have CAD knowledge before you started this, or did you learn on the go?
Thanks Dave,
I never used CAD until last May when I downloaded TurboCAD LE. I thought I could design and build a better Delta and went on my OCD crash course to make it happen. I had seen a drafting machine and knew what a vernier was before I started. You could also say I have a strong background in computers and aviation. Some of the guys in the scratch build and CAD forums probably remember me from all my questions. I have had a lot of compliments on the plans.

I would be happy to email (free of charge) anyone a copy of my plans in PDF format just for asking and I also sell the printed plans (E size - 34" x 44") for not much more then printing and mailing charges on my site. www.mikesrc.us
Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I just started messing with TC LE also, I may come to you with questions
Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Troy-RCU

ORIGINAL: daven

Now I know why Troy flies electrics

All that beach sand getting into his glow motors
Sand gets into motor bearings, too. []
Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Inserts a witty comment about Dynamic Soaring here>

And talks about how all the records are held by gliders and junk---No engine/ Motor= no worries about sand and schrapnel!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Troy-RCU

Huh? You just wait Razor until I fire up that 6.5 and get the pipe tuned in...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Mike you can relax it flies. I put two flights on it the first was preaty low speed about a hundred if I had to guess of course that was with only about half throttle. Trims needed a little adjustment not bad though and it was a very touchy on pitch. Prior to second flight adjusted throws and added 1/2 ounce to front since it was balanced more toward the aft limit. It was flying very good on this flight decided to try a full power pass started building up speed and the engine quit, carb decided to depart engine and I didnt have anything to tighten it back down with so that put an end to the flying. Overall very happy with the plane hopefully soon I will have a free day with decent weather to get some full throttle runs in.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Mike Connor

Looking forward to future flight reports at high speed. I am curious about the CG. When it was touchy was the balance point behind the front spar?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
ChuckL

The 8.85" on your plans hit right on the center of the spar which I marked as the center I then marked plus and minus .4 for the forward and aft limit per your plans it was close to the aft limit behind the spar the 1/2 ounce on the nose put it right on the center of the spar or at least real close. It wasn't just the cg though I had a lot of throw on the elevators for the maiden so if things went bad I had extra in reserve which I also tamed down for the second flight so it would have been a combination, anyway CG right on the spar and recommended throws flying real good.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

well at least the airframe was well behaved enough to cooperate even with the aft CG and control throws... good testment to flying qualities.

Bob
Old 09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
ChuckL

I agree Bob I think it is a keeper, I usually like an aft CG but this one seemed to be much happier on the spar overall seems like a good design. Launches are a non event it just blasts off.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Mike Connor

Delta COG is a little different and not as straight forward as a normal plane. With out looking at my notes I think the front spar is 15% MAC. I used a CG calculator, flight test and reverse enginered a Dust CG to come up with the front spar.

Another Demon flew in Florida the other day. It was built with a few shortcuts but he says it is fast. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18313.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	762269  
Old 09-16-2007, 04:04 PM
ChuckL

I made two flights today both were full throttle from launch until the fuel tank was empty. We didn't get any timed runs on it but it was definately moving seemed much faster than my clipped dust but it still glides like a trainer also.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

sweet!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Mike Connor

Great, I put two flights on my fun fly Demon today also and will post the results in my other thread. I will say that I bet yours was faster the mine.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump

Any more pics or flight reports on these?

Mark
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Mike Connor

I thought maybe you would post a picture of yours but maybe it isn't done yet.

I have only heard of four flying so far but I am sure there are more then that. I have them in four countries now so maybe more reports will come in soon. At least I haven't heard anything negative on flight characteristics ( when set up right ).

I do have a couple of new pictures of builds in progress. The first one is my newest project and the second one is one of my customers. It has a Nelson Q40 under the cowl.

Name:	Cz80085.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	788158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59744.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	788159  
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM
mmattockx

Hey Mike,

I am not even close on mine yet, been too busy riding dirt bikes this summer and getting my consulting practice established. I like the looks of your new project, if that pans out I might want to do that on mine instead of the stock fin setup. Please keep us informed on how that arrangement works out.

Mark
Old 10-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Mike Connor

Mark,
Yep, I am really starting to like the looks of my new project because of the new fin shape and having them on the wing tips. Either mod can be done with kit you bought and I will document it if it flies well. The vertical fin volume coefficient and the engineers say it should fly.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I am the "Speed Freak" that Mike has posted the picture of Q40 powered Demon. It is in final stages of construction so I will get involved in the thread at this point. I decided on the fully sheeted airframe and windtips level with wing. You can shed your covering at 180 mph and still have an airfoil. Hopefully the covering will completely rip free from wing and you can still fly to a safe landing. The cowl is my labor of love so I am posting some pictures here and now. I have spent a lot of time carefully thinking and planning this model so the build time is extensive but I feel the end result will be a model that should scare the living crap out of myself and anyone else that may wish to follow the same route that I have. Please feel free to ask me any questions about my efforts. I must say that Mike has done an excellent job of staying in communication with me during the initial stages but my hybrid Demon has gone past the basic design. Shooting for a RTF weight of 3 lbs. on the mark. Nelson Q40 with carbon 7.4 x 8 APC prop. Tettra 5.5 oz bubbless tank. HiTec HS-225MG servos on elevons and a Hitec HS-85BB on the throttle. Yes that's right! I have installed a Perry/Conley non-pump carb #5001 on the Q40. I have used this setup before with great results. The only problem is keeping small birds from getting cought in the intake!! I prefer the rudders as originally designed. It is easy to snag a wingtip on a shirt cuff or coat sleeve on launch and even easier with the rudders on the tips. Just my personal preference and when you have an engine turning 22K you don't need any bad launches! Since there is no fuselage under wing to hold on to, you have to launch "C/L Combat" style. Speedy

Name:	Zx71032.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	794965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38383.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	794966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62871.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	794967  
Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

More pictures with cowl air inlet and fuselage finised and closed in. Still have to put baffles inside cowl and cut air exhaust outlets. Going to pick up covering tomorrow! Speedy

Name:	Cz79660.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	794987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95557.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	794988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91919.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	794989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28980.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	794990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50508.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	794991  
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

ChuckL, I hope you don't mind if I copy your color scheme somewhat. That is a real eyecatcher and that is what I will need when flying this little monster! Do you think the CF strips on rudder are a necessity? If so, I will add them before covering. Speedy
Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
ChuckL

that looks really nice, feel free to copy I cover all my speed planes with flourecent ultracote it shows up real well with solid black on the bottom nothing fancy just a real good contrast. The CF on the fins I dont think is necessary the are plenty of DD flying with out it. The clipped wing DD kit came with this mod so I have been using it ever since.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Thanks! I prefer Ultracote over "the other" iron-on's. I feel that a coat of Balsarite is a must for that extra adhesion needed at these speeds. Speedy
Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
ChuckL

ya I always put a coat of balsarite on mine just makes it stick better, I've never had ultracote fail in flight.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

ChuckL, Got my covering today. That orange is gonna be nice and visible. I am not going to glass my center section either. Mainly because I will have the advantage of a fully sheeted wing. Another thing to remember is to make sure that your prop is level with the wing when engine comes up on compression. Saves a lot of props on landing. All speed planes are "Dead Stick" on landing and the wind at these speeds will rotate the prop around to compression. My color scheme will be flourescent orange top and bottom with checkers only on top. White rudders and cowl with a few stickers to add some speed! I would like to put a spanwise white stripe on the bottom but I have done this on my Q500 and as soon as the edge gets a little loose spot....WHAMO! The wind rips it right off! Speedy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.