Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike Dolly

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM
eurekame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrike Dolly

I just about finished my second shrike and decided I wanted to be able to fly without the need of an assistance.
This is what I came up with......
I have not yet used the dolly or flown the plane yet.

The shrike is kit built with just a few modifications.
Firewall set back 1/4 inch to allow for the Super tigre 40.
One vertical stabilizer, centered with a rudder.
3/8 of an inch added to the elevator.
The elevator and rudder servos are located one space to further back.

I built the dolly for use off a grass strip. It has a free castering tail wheel, long wheel base and large stable front gear.
The Shike rests between two braces in the rear and two post in the front. I rests in the cradle made from the left over from the laser cut sides.
I hope it works well..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46011.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	750431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92142.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	750432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag37976.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	750433  
Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Shrike Dolly

Simple.
Efficient.
Long moments.
Nice angle of attack.
Should be a winner!
Good luck and let us know!

SJ
Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....what Speed Junkie said....
Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: eurekame

It has a free castering tail wheel, long wheel base...
This combination may make ground handling difficult. If you have problems you might move the main gear back to a couple of inches in front of the CG.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

OK- That is not a Shrike...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

eurekame:

Shades of the old Hell Razor/U control days. Its important that this thing runs a streight line down the strip until lift off. Suggest you CA that tailwheel in place. Have a freewheeling tailwheel on several home brew "things". Works fine, can even taxie a little with care. If my holder is not carefull to sit the plane down with the tailwheel castor to the rear, things get wild and out of control for the first few feet. If was not WFO, no chance to correct. Think you will need something to hold the rear of the plane in place. If yu use a rod vertical from the dolly into the fuse, keep the receiver open and loose, or it will shurly hang up. Would not be the first dolly flying around with the plane for a while until it becomes a bomb. My 2 Cents. ENJOY
Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
eurekame

Thank you all for the replies. I will certainly post my findings after testing....
I will do several taxi test before taking off.

I have thought about placing springs on the tail wheel to dampen the movement.
But for know I will rely on the large amount of castor.
The shrike will not move while on the dolly except up...It is no snugger on the frame than the weight of the dolly.
It will not get airborn.. I am more concered about the bouncing from the feild. Our field has golf grass and is rolled frequently but still can be bumpy.

Razor.. It is a Shrike.... I can assure you of that. Here are some picks of just the Shrike. Only the wing tips have not been installed yet.

Name:	Ec87866.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	751095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47942.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	751096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16132.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	751097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy10298.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	751098  
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM
SPEED JUNKIE

Every one of my "Taxi Tests" have resulted in my first flight![X(]

SJ
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, for Howard Hughes too.

Hey guys, how about this for a ready made dolly?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95353
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a dolly on mine a few years back. My maiden flight took off great right off the dolly. Everyone was impressed. Could never do it again. Looked like a darn idiot out their. Kept falling off or one stupid thing after another. Went to chucking it by hand.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
SPEED JUNKIE

Now that is the dolly I would need to "HUCK" my "EX" off a cliff![X(]
No love lost there![:'(]

SJ
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
eurekame

No that's a heavy duty dolly!!!!!!!
I thought mine was over kill.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Electric Delta

Here's a dolly a buddy of mine and I built for our Shrike .40's, so we could chase each other around, without needing a third person to launch for us. It worked pretty well, but the uprights that sit in front of the wing leading edge needed to be made taller and sturdier (twice as thick) than shown on these photos. These changes helped a lot. We shot some video of my take-offs off the dolly (yellow and red one), I need to post that on rcuvideos.com some time. It's really a short roll, probably less than 15 feet along the ground, before the Shrike .40 blasts off. You need to be ready to apply some right aileron right away, as the plane will roll to the left somewhat as it lifts off the dolly.

Name:	Wu59921.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	752267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27615.jpg
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	752268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67874.jpg
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	752269  
Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
rmenke

Electric Delta (ED):

Actually this is a pretty good design. A major problem we had in the old U control days is that the dolly would hit a small bump in the grass, the wing would bounce over the vertical restraints, and poof a new prop if we were able to kill the engine before it blew up. Nothing like having a racing engine running wfo without a prop. Talk about good rpm's. I notice the rear wheels are fixed, where eurekame's is free wheeling. Maby it will get off the ground before the tailwheel becomes a problem. Almost can't wait for the weekend report which we all expect before noon? ENJOY
Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 PM
eurekame

Wow,

Electric Delta: I had not even thought of solid axles. Did they go straight while on the Dolly? No rudder needed?
I put a rudder on the Shrike because I thought I would need to stear it on the take off run. If that's true I could lock the tail wheel of the dolly and remove the rudder servo..
Lighter is better. mmm. I will test it as is for now and then decide. I like options. Thanks for posting your set up.
I will make my posts for the wing taller as you suggested.

Unfortunately it will be monday before the maiden flight. I will post Monday night with the results.
I need to locate longer bolts for the muffler and pin the hinges.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Electric Delta

Yep, straight solid 5/32 music wire axles, and six(!) collars per axle, one on each side of each wheel, and one on each side of the wooden box to keep everything in place. That's 12 collars out of the junk box for one dolly, LOL. We drilled through both of the two box sides (laid together exactly) under the drill press and took care to build the box square so it would run straight. No steering needed, just set it out on the runway pointed in the right direction and advance the throttle. As short as the take-off run is (we are using OS .46's), there isn't time to get off track much before you are airborne. Have to watch out for the dolly on landing, it usually remains an obstacle on the runway...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: Electric Delta

Here's a dolly a buddy of mine and I built for our Shrike .40's, so we could chase each other around, without needing a third person to launch for us. It worked pretty well, but the uprights that sit in front of the wing leading edge needed to be made taller and sturdier (twice as thick) than shown on these photos. These changes helped a lot. We shot some video of my take-offs off the dolly (yellow and red one), I need to post that on rcuvideos.com some time. It's really a short roll, probably less than 15 feet along the ground, before the Shrike .40 blasts off. You need to be ready to apply some right aileron right away, as the plane will roll to the left somewhat as it lifts off the dolly.

Darn near a clone of what I had made
Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Electric Delta

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! ;-)
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I built mine in 2000!!!!!!!!! Could it be? On my maiden, I recall not much ground run and "popped" it off and up it went. After that, I was getting too much ground run and tryng to take off in a more smooth fashion. it was not good. No steering on the dolly of course and the plane would slip off or tip over. So I went to hand chucking it. Plane is still alive and well
Old 08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Electric Delta

Mine is unfortunately NOT alive and well anymore. Said buddy's Shrike chewed my elevator off with his prop while we were horsing around chasing each other...

Can't blame the dolly for this one, though if the dolly hadn't worked for us, this wouldn't have happened.

Name:	Sq47517.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	753200  
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
rmenke

Guys:

Gotta get CH just a little. Built mine in 1949 completely out of music wire on our way to the Nationals at Monterey, Ca. We (Ron Morrison) did set a new Worlds record for I think class B with a Hell Razor and McCoy something, guess 29. First Pressure Tank used in compotition designed by a couple of 14 year olds. Sure rubbed the old timmers the wrong way. Next year, they all had pressure tanks. We should not have showed off to those old guys who actually knew what they were doing. Ron won the coin flip as pilot so the record is in his name. I got fuel in my face. Such is life. Still vote for the 45% pvc ramp, just cause of the scar on the top of my bald head, via hand launch of wing- thing/diesel-drone. This thing is not going to stay in the cradle for long based on the "anything that can go worng, will go wrong" theory, but with a little bounce your good to go. Once the thing is trimmed, should be no problem? ENJOY I wannnnnnnnnnnnnna flight report.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Electric Delta

I edited down and uploaded the video of my Shrike taking off from the dolly onto rcuvideos.com, here is the link:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/9L0Q9KQ9W8VLWBQB

Yes, it rolls straight, and no, it doesn't roll long!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
rmenke

ED:

Its good when a plan comes togeather, and works, huh? Congrats, looked very good, its now trimmed and reasonably gentle. A little quick on the ailerons, huh? Frankly did not think you would survive the first attempt because of the tail wheel. Very glad I was wrong (for the first time mind you). ENJOY
Old 09-03-2007, 03:41 PM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

Good Job

I built a dolly for mine several years ago that actually had a steerable nose wheel, I used a charge jack in the bottom of the plane than connected to the rudder on the receiver. The servo lead was mounted in the top of the dolly and when you mated the plane with the dolly it plugged in. I was taking off a aspault run way. Mine was set up with 0 incedence and allowed me to build speed before I lifted. I dont have a picture of the dolly, but heres the plane that was talking off of it.

Yes, that is a YS-61 in the nose.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
eurekame

The experiment was a success.......However the dolly did not operate as designed........It only moved under 3/4 throttle or better, I think it was too heavy. The Shike would vibrate backwards at idle until the prop struck the dolly and the steering had a mind of its own. An 1 1/2 throw was not enough force even at full throttle to effectively steer. It sure was fun trying.....

I thought for sure when I packed up Monday that I was going to use Electric Delta's idea... Now I just read Mobileraptors post.... Now that sounds fun and workable....

I am determined to make a workable solution. I love flying the Shrike. Landing gear are just out of the question. I will build a dolly using a servo for steering and the charge jack as the pin.
If this does not work I will use Electric Delta's plan. It sure is simple and it looks like it works great. Thanks for the video.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.