Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Differences between the Sig Wonder and a Lanier SHRIKE

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Differences between the Sig Wonder and a Lanier SHRIKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:21 AM
WerHop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between the Sig Wonder and a Lanier SHRIKE

I have a Sig Wonder , it is being built at this moment, my brother wants a Lanier SHRIKE ,

Does anyone know the differences in speeds of these two planes , does anyone know the km/h of each plane.

your help is apprieciated deeply
Old 03-20-2003, 05:49 PM
nun45
My Feedback: (1)

not sure of speed differencesbut, if you over power a wonder the wing will snap! i have flown both planes with the shrike being 40 sized, and they both handled about the same to me, with the wonder being a bit squirrelly.---henry
Old 03-20-2003, 07:08 PM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

I have had both planes and have to say they are fairly close to performance, you will be happy with both of them. I would probably give the edge to the shrike for top speed. I have had the wonder for about ten years and have never crashed it, flies great. Top speed with .25 sport engines about 110-120mph in a dive. With the performance and manuverability, and size of these aiplanes at this speed, 110-120 mph will definitelymake you happy and keep you very busy. you will probably not be outmatched at your field for the dollar. I have overpowered both of these planes with up to .40 size engines and have never had wing snap. Especially the wonder, becasue there is no split in the spar, it is a true one piece wing.

If you really want to go fast try to keep it light. Put in mini servos with a high performace .25 engine. I use a norvell .25 which turns a 9x6 @16,000+ rpm. If your really energetic, shave some balsa off of the wing ribs while building, making the airfoil "thinner"
If you do all of the above you will get over 120 mph easily, which is plenty fast for this little thing.
Don
Old 03-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both with OS.25FP with .40 FP carbs and enlarged exaust openings.

The Wonder Is a great slow flyer, excellent kit ,plans,instructions, and hardware.

The shrike is laser cut, with minimal instruction, no hardware 10.00 more for the kit, but will go a lot faster do to reduced frontal area and thinner wing.

CAUTION when OVERPOWERING thes kits.

The shrike (.10 size) had the main spar fail in flight, Lanier suppied a balsa spar, you wil need to replace it with spruce or add a layer of carbonfibre to the balsa.

Several WONDER MODS to follow....
The following users liked this post:
David DeWitt (04-19-2021)
Old 03-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Crazy4Flight

SIG WONDER MODIFICATIONS

1) Replace ¼ x ¼ balsa L.E. stock with 3/16 x 3/16 spruce.

2) Do not trim 3" L.E. Sheeting to 2-3/4 per instructions the sheeting will go from the main spars over the top of the spruce L.E. in #1. Easier to do than the butt joint the plans call for

2A) Optional front wing bolt, add balsa block between center two ribs for 10-32 nylon screw to go into the added crossmember in the fuse.

2B) add tri stock to re-enforce F2 if wing dowels are to be used per plans.

3) Notch the 2 center ribs to accept ¼ x ¼ spruce stock for servo mounting rails these will be underneath the center section wing sheeting , giving the screws more wood to go through.

4) Add ½ triangle stock under wing mounting blocks. (when using a .25 engine)

5) Notch the trailing edge balsa stock where the torque rods will be before gluing into place, this saves carving time later at installation.

6) Omit servo access hatch on bottom of fuse, strengthen fuse aft of F4 with ¼ triangle stock. Read #7 for servo access.

7) Do not glue the Stab to the fuselage! Bolt the stab to the wing mounting blocks, 6-32 nylon screws, yes there is plenty of space. Add rear mount screw block to fuse for the stab 3/8 x ¼ hard wood will do and use a 6-32 nylon screw here too.

8) Before gluing doublers and formers to the fuselage sides, layout and cut ¼" x ¼" holes through fuse sides under stab for elevator & throttle servo mounting rails (spruce). I used HS-80 or HS -85 mirco servos by Hitec.

9) Add ¼ x ¼ triangle stock in fin/stab corner, fins tend to get knocked off.

10) Install fuel tank just in front of F3 to minimize pitch change as fuel is consumed. Print shows it up by the firewall.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Cactus.

I've got a 15 size shrike, have a 21 in it now, very nice, looks so much better than the Wonder, even tho its now missing a wing
Old 03-24-2003, 01:36 PM
jetsett

Default Re: Differences between the Sig Wonder and a Lanier SHRIKE

PHILLY!!!??
Here is the original post!!

Originally posted by WerHop
I have a Sig Wonder , it is being built at this moment, my brother wants a Lanier SHRIKE ,

Does anyone know the differences in speeds of these two planes , does anyone know the km/h of each plane.

Does your reply have anything to offer the questions being asked? I see your spreading your vast wisdom some more.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Cactus.

What exactly is your problem? If people don't say exactly what you want to hear we're not allowed to join in? What a shame you can't personally check each and every post before it gos up to make sure it reaches your standards.
Only one person here has given close to the answer WerHop wants, i guess that makes the rest of us scum for daring to give opinions.
My PERSONAL opinion is the Shrike looks better and for me that can swing a purchase. I have a Shrike and its a very fast smooth plane. now, while i do own a Shrike, i don't own a Wonder, A West powered Magnum or a Whiplash. But, Mr Too quick with his fingers and short with restraint. A club member has had both planes, both with same black bits inside and oily bits on the front making them totally comparable.
The Shrike was smoother, faster and is much better in ground effect on low passes. While the speed difference wont be much between them for our friend here to worry about i know which i would have every time.
For my friend the proof came when he sold the Wonder, later stuffed the Shrike and brought another right away.
Oh yes, the Wonder is also more prone to flip over if touched on low passes, from the flights i've seen with my own two eyes.
Regardless, these brothers will have hours of fun chasing each other around if they have the same gear, and wont notice the speed difference

I'd forgotten and gotten past the out of order £r&p you'd layed on me in the past, i wish you could too and save us from your tantrums
Old 03-24-2003, 02:22 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy4Flight
SIG WONDER MODIFICATIONS

1) Replace ¼ x ¼ balsa L.E. stock with 3/16 x 3/16 spruce.

2) Do not trim 3" L.E. Sheeting to 2-3/4 per instructions the sheeting will go from the main spars over the top of the spruce L.E. in #1. Easier to do than the butt joint the plans call for

Thanks for all that information, I'm building one of these in a few weeks that's been sitting on my shelf brand new for a while. I'll be tacking your mods on my wall and following them. Thank you very very much. Sean
Old 03-24-2003, 02:32 PM
jetsett

Default Re: Differences between the Sig Wonder and a Lanier SHRIKE

Philly.!!
AGAIN!!!!.......HERE IS THE QUESTION BEING ASKED!

Originally posted by WerHop

ANSWER ME THIS.....

DID YOU ANSWER ANY OF THE QUESTIONS BEING ASKED??

I didn't ask you if you hand any of these aircraft or their flying qualities, say anything about whiplashes or magnums did I?

Then why are you bringing them up.

Just making an observation,,that you didn't answer the question being asked ....AGAIN.!!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default Out of line

Originally posted by acetumper1
Philly.!!
AGAIN!!!!.......HERE IS THE QUESTION BEING ASKED!

ANSWER ME THIS.....

DID YOU ANSWER ANY OF THE QUESTIONS BEING ASKED??

I didn't ask you if you hand any of these aircraft or their flying qualities, say anything about whiplashes or magnums did I?

Then why are you bringing them up.

Just making an observation,,that you didn't answer the question being asked ....AGAIN.!!!!
This has nothing to do with the question being asked.

Why not let the moderators moderate. With the click of a mouse you can report any thread you feel is out of line.

I have no objections to Philly's input.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Crazy4Flight

Originally posted by seanreit
Thanks for all that information, I'm building one of these in a few weeks that's been sitting on my shelf brand new for a while. I'll be tacking your mods on my wall and following them. Thank you very very much. Sean
Sean,

the wing sheeting stock must be strait to do this SIG tells builders to trim the stock to straighten it out. select straight and true 3/16 x 3/16 spruce a twisted piece may warp your wing.
You may have to buy 1/16 x4 x 36 balsa to do the wing sheeting if you cannot get a straight piece.

I have seen Wonders with OS.10FP to OS.32SX !!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:03 PM
seanreit

Crazy, I was going to run a towerhobbies .46. This is a ballbearking 46 and in my opinion superior to OS's 46 FX. I was hoping standard construction methods would get me enough strength (I, like you would never use a balsa spar in a plane this small going this fast. Alternatively, I wire cut foam wings all the time. Which route would you go based on your experiance? I built a flying wing (foam) that routinely flies over 100 MPH on electric, somewhere in the 110 range. I have pics at www.reitmeyer.com I had to carbon fibre it to keep flutter out. Flutter won't be an issue here I'm fairly certain, however, stress might be a problem. We'll see, thanks for the response.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Crazy4Flight

I love my .46 FX but I do agree the Tower .46 is avery good engine too.

But i doo believe that is wat too much engine for the Wonder.
It may not balance out. The battery may have to all the way back.

My Lanier shrike 40 size had OS.46FX in it mounted flush to firewall. And I had 4 cell flat pack just in fron of the elevator an it was still nose heavy. a strip of solder was put into the elevator's TE to balance.

Good Luck !!! and blue skies.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:47 PM
CFII1974

HI,

I have several wonders and love the way they fly. I have found that a .32 will pick up your top speed 10 to 20 over the .25
Things you should do that I have found out the hard way it to reinforce your front wing dowel with brass tubing and change the rear wing bolts. Another thing to do is put some triangle stock on the rear of the fuse to help support the horizontal stab and use epoxy to glue it on. One last thing is to get a flat strip of carbon fiber and put in on your main spar. I have clocked mine at 137 and it has over 100 flights on it with no signed of failure. Now I did have to build 3 to get it right. Almost forgot, Balance the plane laterally after it is all ready to go and this will help you with good straight hand launches ( no wing dipping ).
Old 03-25-2003, 07:51 PM
CFII1974

Here are a few pics of two of my wonders.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
seanreit

Did you build the wing on a jig or just over the drawings?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:06 PM
CFII1974

Just over the plans.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:54 PM
Crazy4Flight

On my twin Wonder I doubled the spares between the Nacells and added shear webs. front wing mount is 1/4-20 nylon screw rears 10-24. 6-32 to screw thw stab down, no hatch on the bottom of fuse.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:42 AM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

Originally posted by phillybaby
I've got a 15 size shrike, have a 21 in it now, very nice, looks so much better than the Wonder, even tho its now missing a wing
Like mine??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66662_14633.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	39438  
Old 03-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Crazy4Flight

Bob Payne,

I was lucky, I was able to add spruce spar doublers to fix mine after wing panel seperation. plane flat spun into tallgrass. Several months later FMA Rx battery went south after 2.5 flights Shike was a aileron rolling lawn dart. Found the plane in 20 minutes. Nerver bought any FMA or Chinese batteries again. Only sanyo cells for me. saving 5.00 cost me my plane and build time.

Bob Eckel
Old 03-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

I've already fixed the plane just need to get it back in the air, I also fixed mine by adding spruce doublers
Old 03-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Cactus.

We've done this before lol
Yes Bob exactly like yours

How exactly did you fix it? mines still under the bed waiting
Old 03-30-2003, 05:32 PM
CFII1974

oops...
Sounds like a design flaw. Should have built a Wonder..
Old 03-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Cactus.

The design flaw is in my thumb which forgot to pull up sooner on a low pass for the speed it hit and the flips afterwards i'm very pleased with the result

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.