Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How to kill the engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How to kill the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 PM
drdavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to kill the engine?

I know, it sounds odd, but I can't get this engine to die. I have a Weston Magnum 51, and I have tried everything to get the engine to die in terms of radio, etc. I can close the carb completely, and it will not die. Is it my low needle setting? Are there mechanical ways to kill the engine remotely?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 PM
samtech

Default RE: How to kill the engine?

Sounds like it's sucking air. Might be around the carb, the rear cover or the front bearing..... If you make your bottom end really soggy rich it will die on its own... but performance will suffer.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

My guess would be leaking air at the base of the carb. If you can put your finger over the carb opening and it doesn't die try sealing the carb base.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM
NikolayTT

Well, Magnum uses bad Chinese-made Carburator and leaking is there for sure.

Anyway to me seems the best to stop any 2S engine is to open the crankshaft case. That is simple
by placing a valve on niple which is usually used to control an optional Perry-pump. Check the
upper-left bolt of the back plate of the Magnum if it has hole which is opened to the inner space
of the crankshaft case and then instead of the bolt place a niple. Alternatively, drill the back plate
and mount niple there. One more spot is on the crankshaft case right on the bottom, opposite to
the carb; there most of the old engines took pressure for the fuel tank. This one is even more
efficient than the back plate. In any case if you decompress the inner space of the engine it
stops very fast.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, throwing a rag into the prop with the engine at idle always works, but the other solutions offered sound reasonable.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Mike Connor

That may be hard to do with a belly lander on final. [X(]
Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 PM
drdavis

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

My guess would be leaking air at the base of the carb. If you can put your finger over the carb opening and it doesn't die try sealing the carb base.

I tried that, and it finally died, but it took it a while. I took the carb off and reseated it, but I don't think it solved the problem. When you say "sealing the carb base", what method do you use to seal it?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM
The Internet Killer

That may be hard to do with a belly lander on final. [X(]

aka: a lawn mower.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 PM
skull1971

Rag gets my vote!!

check the front bearing, had the same problem a coulpe years ago, the seal was ate up.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM
NikolayTT

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Rag gets my vote!!

check the front bearing, had the same problem a coulpe years ago, the seal was ate up.
One of my engines leaks "nicely" like a river from the front bearing and still start/stop
without problems; in fact that makes sure one has good lubrication of that bearing
at least .

In fact the whole story is a bit funny, most of the people otherwise complain that
they cannot start engine or the engine quits just like that some time, so here we
have something too strange and maybe too simple to fix. I would change the
carb with some carb from OS Max and give a try at least.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 AM
skull1971

Got a Ral 46 (Rossi) it dose not slobber oil out the front, BUT it did suck in air and the engine would not shut-down. I used a little squeeze bottle and dripped fuel on the prop drive washer and it sucked the fuel in and flooded the engine, that's how I found it. DUMB LUCK!!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: drdavis

I tried that, and it finally died, but it took it a while. I took the carb off and reseated it, but I don't think it solved the problem. When you say "sealing the carb base", what method do you use to seal it?
maybe a little RTV around the base of the carb would seal it. It seems I am remembering several people complaining about this same thing with this particular Magnum engine and I am not sure it was ever resolved. Some time back there was a long thread about. It was in this forum so maybe some that have owned the engine will join in.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 AM
NikolayTT

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Got a Ral 46 (Rossi) it dose not slobber oil out the front, BUT it did suck in air and the engine would not shut-down. I used a little squeeze bottle and dripped fuel on the prop drive washer and it sucked the fuel in and flooded the engine, that's how I found it. DUMB LUCK!!
That Rossi seems to be a very very strange engine...