Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sundowner 50 Arf

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
at7driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sundowner 50 Arf

Thanks Rob,

I will get some 9" apc's and try those...

I love the jettstream pipe, tried to follow your lead on the install.. not as nice and neat but gets the job done.. first time I had tried something like that.. it was fun..

thanks,

david
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19779.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1128686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92817.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1128687  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 AM
envallm

After I flew my new Alleycat/Jett 90LX, I basically stopped flying my Sundowner 50/O.S 91FX. It was just so much more fun to fly the alleycat, not only speed, but just the sound of that Jett engine. Wonderful.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
russm

very nice plane, but they priced themselves out of the market.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
BiggerDanno

ORIGINAL: at7driver

hi all,

wanted to get some opinions on engines... I maidened sunday with my trusty os 46ax, 10x7 prop with jettstream thru fuselage pipe setup.. might have had her set a bit rich but wasnt all that impressed with the speed... I dont have the money right now to get the final engine for this plane, the jett 60lx.. trying to keep the money flowing towards the heli right now. so... here's the question. will an OS 55ax have a noticeable boost in speed over the OS 46 ???? I know it wont be much but was hoping for somebody that has flown both engines on the plane to give me some feedback...

thanks,

david

Different plane here, but same engines. Tower Kaos 40 with a 46 running a 10 x 7 prop radared at 88 mph. I tried a 10 x 6, it was slower. The engine does not have enough power IMO to pull any more than the 10 x 7 at any reasonable speed.
With the 55 and a 11 x 8 it radared at 118 with a tuned pipe running 14020 on the ground.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM
envallm

ORIGINAL: russm

very nice plane, but they priced themselves out of the market.

I couldnt agree more with this. I paid less for my Alleycat than I did for my SD 50. My alleycat fuse is all composite, with a canopy with a great single latch system, and ease of assembly is great with teh single wing design, top down bolt. GUess its personal choice, but I wish I had found the Alleycat before I spent money ont he SD50....with that said...I dotn knock my SD50..I had a great tiem flying it....before I built and flew the Alleycat
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
chuck993

For those wanting to get rid of their Sundowner 50 let me know!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
chuck993

Hey Morganew, how was the 91FX 2 stroke in the SD 50? I have a new 91FX, but thought it would be too heavy for the plane. Did you have to add a lot of tail weight?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
envallm

ORIGINAL: chuck993

Hey Morganew, how was the 91FX 2 stroke in the SD 50? I have a new 91FX, but thought it would be too heavy for the plane. Did you have to add a lot of tail weight?
I mounted the battery (Futaba 1500Mah 4.8V - 120g) as far back as I could and ended up only needing to add about 1 oz to teh tail. Shes still a bit nose heavy (slightly), but I prefer to be slighty nose heavy on this particular applciation. The 91FX performs well, and is a great match for this plane, if you dont mind doing a little work to plug the stock firewall holes and re-aligning the mount for the 91FX engine. You wont be disappointed with this engine. The only other option I considered was a Jett 50 on this, but it was out of my price range at the time.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
at7driver

thanks guys,

I'll experiment with the props on the 46 first..

earlier post mentioned rob, typo.... sorry meant to say thanks bob..

david

Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 AM
nesikachad

ORIGINAL: morganew

I mounted the battery (Futaba 1500Mah 4.8V - 120g) as far back as I could and ended up only needing to add about 1 oz to teh tail. Shes still a bit nose heavy (slightly), but I prefer to be slighty nose heavy on this particular applciation. The 91FX performs well, and is a great match for this plane, if you dont mind doing a little work to plug the stock firewall holes and re-aligning the mount for the 91FX engine. You wont be disappointed with this engine. The only other option I considered was a Jett 50 on this, but it was out of my price range at the time.

I think Morgan is on the right track here if this plane is at all like its big brother (80" SD). That plane requires (and I mean GOTTA HAVE IT) nose heavy. I talked to a few USRA GS Pylon guys (after wrecking two of these pigs) and they all said the factory CG is too far back. The plane will snap under full elevator at anything below WFO. It has something to do with the cowl cheeks producing lift and fooling the plane into thinking the wing is further forward than what it really is. My latest 80" has a Moki210 in it and I made sure the nose is heavy and it behaves now.

I have to think the little one might do the same thing so I made sure mine was heavy up front too. Runs on rails when cornering so I think I got lucky. It will dip her nose quick though when the speed bleeds off for landing so just be mindful of that.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 AM
ALO 111

My SD (OS91FX) is also a bit nose heavy and its a baby to fly . Never snaps on me lands easy even with a dead stick. So it seems this might be true.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 AM
chuck993

ok, sounds like the 91fx might be the trick, I assume it is adding a lot more speed, what props are you using? Is it mounted upright and vertical?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Good advice on the CG.

BTW does WFO stand for what I think it does? I mean I have heard of WOT...but WFO...sorry...I can only guess Wide F?%^&% Open. LOL

My question is..does anyone have any info on the following:

Which of the three (Cermark AlleyCat/ Kyosho Kelly/SD50)

Are a one piece wing?
Are capable of (even with a little modification) holding up to 180 mph-190mph
Have carbon tubes in the wing?
Are IMAA legal.

It is hard to get any detailed photos of the kelly or the alleycat...Cermark really does not have too much info on their site. Anyone have any good photos of the firewall of either?

Its a tough decision...I like the Kelly because it does look slick...and it seems available. I like the H9 SD overall and have several of their planes, but seems impossible to get for some time. I like the AlleyCat because I know it is IMAA legal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM
envallm

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

Good advice on the CG.

BTW does WFO stand for what I think it does? I mean I have heard of WOT...but WFO...sorry...I can only guess Wide F?%^&% Open. LOL

My question is..does anyone have any info on the following:

Which of the three (Cermark AlleyCat/ Kyosho Kelly/SD50)

Are a one piece wing?
Are capable of (even with a little modification) holding up to 180 mph-190mph
Have carbon tubes in the wing?
Are IMAA legal.

It is hard to get any detailed photos of the kelly or the alleycat...Cermark really does not have too much info on their site. Anyone have any good photos of the firewall of either?

Its a tough decision...I like the Kelly because it does look slick...and it seems available. I like the H9 SD overall and have several of their planes, but seems impossible to get for some time. I like the AlleyCat because I know it is IMAA legal.

Any help would be appreciated.

I cant speak to the Kyosho Kelly. I looked in to getting one myself, but ultimately decided that the looks alone cant justify bringing this bird into my hanger when I already have both the SD50 and Cermark Alleycat. I do agree that aesthetically, its a great looking plane, but that gets old pretty fast. I was very pleased with my SD50/OS 91FX combo for a long time. This plabe has typical 2 wings that are secured to a ply/basla fuse by 2 nylon bolts. Theres not much room in the fuse to scren them in and I have big hands and it was alwasy a pain in the a** for me at the field to attach adn detach. I had this combo for about 3 months and flew at least 30-40 flights on it. It was my first "speed" plane, as I mostly flew pattern and 3D until then. I loved the speed and did some research and came across the Alleycat. I decided to get it + Jett 90LX engine. Let me summarize my first flight with this combo. WOW!!!. I was used to flying my SD50 so I simply gave full throttle. I was not prepared for how much faster this combo was. UNlike my SD50, I have to throttle back when turning, its just that much faster to me. And the sound of the Jett engine..WOW. This plane also has a canoy that is secured by a single metal latch. Also, ithe wings are joined into one when building and are secured by removing canopy and securing with two top down nylon bolts. No wing tube is required for this model, whereas the SD50 has a carbon fiber tube.

Mounting the Jett engine in the Alleycat, is not trivial, as the mounting ply rails come preinstalled and attached to the firewall. There is no "cowl" on this plane as the fuse extends fully and the engine is installed underneath. Its a great system.

As far as your comment about achieving 180-190 speeds, I am not sure what kind of power plabnt youd have to emply for that kind of speed, but the stress in these airframes/wings would be substantial. The alleycat is a composite fuse , unlike the SD50, yet they are in the same price range. if I could do it again, I would go for hte Aleycat alone, as I seldom fly my SD50 much anymore, but will definitely keep it around in case I have a loss.

ONe word of caution though, I personally find it VERY VERY difficult to bleed speed off of the Alleycat on approach. I am not alone in this, as a couple of other members Ive spoken with have the same issue. This plane doesnt want to slow down,a nd bringing it in requires a skilled and patient pilot. Its definitely an adrenaline rush to fly it.

I hope this heps somewhat, I will try to post some pictures of both planes soon. Its cold here in the northeast....my planes are cleaned, bagged and in winter hibernation.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
nesikachad

the Alley Cat is one sexy biche!!

ORDERED! I'll be needing another nasty Jett engine it looks like!!

Had never heard of this plane before so thanks guys!

Some corrections regarding the little SD though.

It's an aluminum spar, not carbon. Just anodized black.

I'm a USRA GS "groupie" and have had some discussions about trimming air speed off a racer. (I own a RTR 42% kelly F-1 but haven't been able to fly it yet) The big planes all come in dead stick. Put em up high and out a ways and just glide in. Park them over the runway a foot or two and let the ground effect do its thing till she stalls out.

On Real Flight G4.5 they have an Endevor that is a real PIA to land if you try to "fly it in". The trick I found is to bleed your speed down to about 35mph. It'll stall at 29mph. Takes a little practice but I think it's a good training aid for these kinds of aircraft.

If you have the sim, just fiddle with it and see what you think.

Good luck and again thanks for the info. That AlleyCat is pretty cool lookin!

Chad
Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 AM
chuck993

comparing a SD50 with a 91FX and an alleycat with a JETT 90LX is not a similar comparison. I think the engines are making the main difference in speed, an OS 91FX vs. a specialized JETT 90LX. I would think the JETT would blow away an OS91 FX in any plane as far as performance and speed goes.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Syssa Aircraft

thanks for the info morgan! If you do get photos...could you get one of the engine mounting arrangment? that would be great.
Of all 3 it "looks" like the kyosho might be the fastest...although looks dont tell everything...

But the one piece wing seems good to me. Thanks for the info!! I would go for the SD50, but it is no where to be found in stock...so I think it is the AlleyCat!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Syssa Aircraft

oh man...is that the alleycat in the white in that photo? That is Bad ***** looking!!! Im definately getting one now!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 AM
at7driver

hey todd,

not sure but I would guess it is his 42% Kelly

while they dont look good those quickies get up pretty fast.. not sure exact numbers but I think around 160.. maybe faster.. although they are hard to look at and say wow that looks cool.. haha..

I'm with you those alley cats and kyoshos look great.. wild hare used to import the LR1 that would run about 170 or so.. small but fast.

david
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM
envallm

comparing a SD50 with a 91FX and an alleycat with a JETT 90LX is not a similar comparison. I think the engines are making the main difference in speed, an OS 91FX vs. a specialized JETT 90LX. I would think the JETT would blow away an OS91 FX in any plane as far as performance and speed goes.
chuck993 you are right about the comparison..but I was comparing the experience of flying them, not so much the setups. I flew my SD50 for months before getting an Alleycat, and I just wanted to shed some light on my experience flying both. I was just as pleased with my SD50..but just completely blown away by the Alleycat...including the handling chracterictics when landing. Its not possible to put a Jett 90LX in the SD50..Ive spoken with Bob on this, and its just an application befitting the SD50..the jett 50 is the sweet spot for the SD50.

As for my Alleycat, I am running an 11x8 APC, ground RPM is about 15000, and it really unloads in the air. I run a 12x8 APC on my OS91..and I htink the ground RPm was somewhere around 11000. Either plane will provide much enjoyment to whomever buys em..but from a put ARF standpoint, I jsut couldnt justify buying an SD50 when the Alleycat is composite and is the same price.

Also, someone corrected me above..the wing joiner IS aluminum, anodized black. Sorry for the mistype.

Good Luck All..I will try to get some pictures of SD50 sans Cowl and Alleycat within the next couple of days...as its 60 degrees in NY today...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 AM
russm

have the jett 90lx w/ the jett turbo muffler in my sd50. no problems.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 AM
envallm

have the jett 90lx w/ the jett turbo muffler in my sd50. no problems.

Was it easy to get it in there....and the big question...how much more are you getting out of that combination than if you had put a cheaper Jett 50 in it. Maybe Bob Brassel can comment. He monitors these forums and is the forum moderator for Jett Engineering...I took my lead from him.

Etiehr way..I am sure your combination is BIG FUN! Enjoy
Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM
nesikachad

I'd like to see photos of the 90 stuffed in a SD50. That's pretty cool!

Yes, the white plane above is the 42% kelly. Kyosho makes a smaller one that's comparable in size to the SD50.

That Alley cat is one pretty looking plane too though!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
russm

no stuffing involved. nice fit. i would have liked to use the stock muffler, but w/out hacking up the firewall. glad dub offers the turbo muffler. hard to argrue w/ bob brassel, but i disagree with him on this setup. somewhere on every plane there is a point where to big an engine is just to big and heavy, but not on this setup.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
envallm

no stuffing involved. nice fit. i would have liked to use the stock muffler, but w/out hacking up the firewall. glad dub offers the turbo muffler. hard to argrue w/ bob brassel, but i disagree with him on this setup. somewhere on every plane there is a point where to big an engine is just to big and heavy, but not on this setup.
Forgot about those in cowl mufflers from Jett...nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.