Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Balsarite problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 03:36 PM
wuness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsarite problem

I am getting ready to cover my Dust and was going to apply balsarite per the instructions. When I opened the can it looked thick and viscous and I thought it looked like trouble. It was. I only applied it to one elevon surface and it brushed on poorly and left little globs that had to be sanded off.

It was about 60 degrees when I applied it. Should it be warmer or does it need to be thinned? When I did a search, I found some other people had problems with it and someone suggested that Ultracoat doesn't recommend its use. What do you guys do? I don't plan on flying this plane all that fast with just an old OS .40, but I want to avoid any problems with the covering. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Blue Skyy
My Feedback: (3)

I used to use it with good results for Monocoat. I receive a bad batch too one time and quit using it. Now I just do very fine sanding, vacuum to get all the dust possible off and then use a tack cloth. The results are just as good, without the expense or hassle when the batch is bad. Live and learn!

Blue Skyy
Old 04-30-2003, 04:32 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I never really liked balsarite... if a little gets on the iron, it makes more of a mess to clean up.... IMO... Agree with BlueSkyy,,, sanding works best
Old 05-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use compressed air....and just blow off all the dust
particles before I cover.