Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is it?

Hello. I bought this thing off of eBay and just got it today. It was advertised as a 'Quarter Midget' racer, but after opening the box tonight it is much smaller than I thought. I may be a pylon racer newbie, but thought all quarter midgets used .40 sized motors (QM40). My Nelson Q40 is way too big, and it looks to be ready to accept something like a .20 size motor. It has a 40 inch wing and is 32 inches long. It is very light and is build like a rock, just like I would expect from a composite pylon racer. Although not what I thought, it was cheap and looks to have potential. Anyway, anyone know: 1) What is it? 2) What class would this be used in? 3) What would be a good motor choice to make it really scream? I do have a brand new OS 25.... Any input would be great. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42381.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	949530  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is it?

My understanding is that the quarter midgets were .15 motors. Nelson, Jett, Rossi's lots of nitro
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's correct- Quarter Midget was for smaller engines. The .40 sized planes you are thinking about are the QM40s (Quarter Midget .40)
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Sessholvlaru

Anyone have a motor suggestion? I don't see Jett, Nelson or Rossi still producing a .15. Jett has a .25, but I am guessing that it is too much motor. The plane appears to have been designed around a rear exhaust motor.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Grodus

I have a quarter midget little toni that looks very similar but with a different wing. Mine is the .15 size and I fly it with an OS 32. It is not too much motor, its just about perfect. I bet a Jett 35 would be even better. It Hauls!

Cody
Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The original QM event used .15 size engines.

The last generation of .15 size engines were Nelson .15 very high output and very high rpm. Every prop was hand made. For general sport use, I would not recommend going that route unless you are good with engines and props. The old Cox (aka K&B) .15 Conquest engines and the Super Tiger X-15 and Rossi .15 were used for some time. If simplicity is your goal, you might hunt for one of those out on an auction site. The problem with finding these is that the Free Flight guys love them, and scoop them up when ever they become available.

What you have there is a Shark. Hard to tell from the photo if it is a .15 size QM racer from a few years ago, but it looks like it is.

Flair also made a .25-.40 size Shark, and I saw another .25 size Shark that was used for club racing in Europe.

The older .15 size QM aircraft fly GREAT with a modern .25-.35 size small block engine. Matney models still sells several of the .15 size QM designs, and quite a few modellers have chosen engines ranging from K&B 3.5 (.21) re engines, through the OS32 and similar Jett .30/.35 power. All work quite well, and the wing loading remains quite reasonable - and you have a full throttle and a good muffler. Only slight mods needed for the side exhaust... or just leave the engine side cheek cowl off.

You may have to replace the engine mount to install the .25 size engines.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Sessholvlaru

Thanks for your help!