Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

mousse can header length for 55 ax

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

mousse can header length for 55 ax

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 02:30 AM
claytucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mousse can header length for 55 ax

I am trying to get top rpm=spd on a O.S. 55ax. flying whiplash need suggestions primarily on length of header but also ideas on other pipes, props, etc for speed. Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 03:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: mousse can header length for 55 ax

You will get some kind of boost from using the front half of a stock muffler for a header. The SPAD to the Bone web site has a tutorial. The RC combat guys know quite a lot about mousse can set ups. For optimum speed, there are pipe calculators that have it broken down into a mathematical science. You select a target rpm, engine displacement, etc. and the calculator will give you dimensions.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mousse can header length for 55 ax

I would keep it simple, use a red Jett muffler on it with an APC 10X9 (after breakin= rich 2 stroke, 9x9 prop, WOT, extra caster).

Some engines will turn the 10X10 ok on a real clean plane but don't count on it. This prop will see about 14,000 on the ground (stalled blades) but the engine rpm will drop as the prop unstalls (hooks up) when the plane gets up to speed......unless it goes real fast, then it may unload. patzan's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdf1E...eature=related Note the flight time!!

This engine would not be my first pick for a Whiplash. In the air that engine hits the wall around 15500 with a decent prop. Most of these speed deltas are running 9" diameter props on higher reving engines and the 55AX needs a 10" to get the most of it. You may find that the 10" prop will torque (roll) the plane harder to the left at launch than a 9" prop would.