Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD Race Coming Up

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD Race Coming Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 06:20 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD Race Coming Up

If you live in the Washington, DC, Baltimore, Maryland, or Delaware area, there is a JR Gold Cup race coming up on May 31 and June 1.

These are the very fast Quarter Midget 40 racers with speeds well over 170 mph. Some of the very best pilots in the country will be there, so the racing action will be intense.

If you have even the faintest interest in R/C pylon racing, please come out to the Prince Georges Radio Control Club and enjoy some high speed action. Directions to the field are on the web site.

Plus they have a great BBQ on Saturday night, so come early and sign up for the BBQ party.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:00 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

I originally posted this thread in the PylonWorld forums here on RCU, but I thought that some of you guys interested in extreme speed might want to know about it.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:31 PM
pdxpaul
My Feedback: (1)

For you speed junkies who have never seen a Q40 race, I highly recommend attending one of these events. You will not be disappointed. These Q40 guys fly fast, tight and on rails. It will also give the speed claims some perspective.

Paul
Old 05-22-2003, 08:11 PM
SSAN

As Don stated earlier, these planes are very fast. I highly recommend those that are interested in high speed planes to attend this race so you can see the actual speed these planes are flying at. Also, Don was very conservative when he mentioned the speed well over 170 mph. It's more like 180-190 range in level flight, 4 planes battling each other around the 3 poles pylon course. It is a very exciting race to watch, indeed.

For those that don't know what a Q40 plane look like, here'a a pic of it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80652_2516.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	47542  
Old 05-22-2003, 08:30 PM
daven

Not only fun to watch, but funner to race!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:50 PM
wild3dfunfly

where can i get a q40 and the right kinda motor for these things cause they look interesting.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:42 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

You can see a list (with some pictures) at QM-40 Racing. You can see some more pictures from the 2000 Pylon NATS at NATS 2000 Q-40.

It is generally recommended that you start out with a Q-500 and get used to the full throttle launch and power off landings. Plus the Q-500's are 15-30 mph slower.

Check out PylonWorld.com and visit us in the PylonWorld forums here on RCU. We're ready and willing to help out newcomers to pylon racing, or those interested in flying racing planes. Also visit www.nmpra.org.

In terms of ARF's, of the Q-40's flown today, many are of all molded composite construction. There are currently no true ARF Q-40 planes, but the Sidewinder by Jerry Small is Ready To Paint. You can bolt the engine into the mount, install a servo tray in the fuselage, make the control rods, install the tank and radio gear, and go fly. But you probably ought to paint it first, because it can get away from you very quickly without some color for orientation.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:50 PM
daven

I know Lyle Larson will do as much of the work as you would like on a Q-40. On my last one, I had him install the tail and firewall, and send primered (almost) ready for paint. I think I paid about $575 for the plane (vendetta). Its the same plane as my avatar picture.

Lyle is an extremely good painter, and will paint it up just about any way you want. Not sure what he charges ready to go, but I would bet its close to $700.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:55 PM
daven

Ooops, forgot Lyles site:

Here it is, California Speed Pros:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/racewithme/lylepage.html
Old 06-01-2003, 06:50 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default Baltimore Show

What happen at the Baltimore Show? Did they cancel?? I know its to windy. I didnt have to call off from work. he he. I did want to see the event but rain one day ,wind the next REAL wind.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:49 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Anyone have any info on this show/race was it completely rained out ??????????????