Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Beginner here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Mudball3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner here.

I am considering the possibility of getting into speed planes. I was wondering what recomendations you all had on a entry level speed plane? Nothing to expensive but not ceap quality either. I had looked at the sceamin deamon but would like to get your guys input. I have a OS .46 AX with Davis deisel head and a macs tuned side muffler. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 AM
zero-cool

Default RE: Beginner here.

the great planes viper 500 with a 46ax is a great place to start.then upgrade your engine to a jett 50 and enjoy!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
nesikachad

If a more scale appearance is to your liking, the little 50 Sundowner from H9 looks mighty fine when a Jett60 is stuffed in it.

Fun plane!

On a more affordable side, a buddy just recently picked up a Dago Red Mustang and he's going to power it with a GWS 70 engine. The model runs around 2 bills and the engine is another hundred. Another hundred for servos and your about done. The engine is pretty affordable I think.
Has retracts too!

My plans are to build the same plane but stuff a Jett FIRE engine in it. Probably either a 50 or 60 with a tuned pipe. I think that'll be sex with wings. Should dig a nice hole in the ground!!

Good luck

Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mudball3

I am considering the possibility of getting into speed planes. I was wondering what recomendations you all had on a entry level speed plane? Nothing to expensive but not ceap quality either. I had looked at the sceamin deamon but would like to get your guys input. I have a OS .46 AX with Davis deisel head and a macs tuned side muffler. Let me know. Thanks.
If you have a .46 and you want to fly something fast, and don't care about scale looks, then a Quickie 500 is a great way to go. Lanier Predator ARF, GP Viper ARF are two good examples, and beef-up tips abound on this and the Q500 forum. There was another quickie ARF discussed here just a few days ago. Other companies offer short kits with a glass fuse and foam cores, you do the rest.. Matney Models for example.

Another option is a Diamond Dust.

These are the two most common approaches to "I wanna try fast stuff on a .46 sized engine" which is a popular place to start. Although a diesel .46 is not the most common engine choice.. but it can work. Maybe run 10-8 or 10-9 props? Just a poorly educated guess there.. I have an Irvine Diesel .40 but it's not mounted on a fast airplane, and spins a 12-6 at moderate rpm.

MJD