Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast?

how fast should this semi-scale racer be?

span 58"
length 46 1/2"
weight 6 lbs
recommended engine 46 2C or 56 4C

it seems a large plane for a .46 don't you guys think?

what engine would make it go relatively fast? It's got a large frontal area but it was a racer in it's day...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78376.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1161879  
Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
arcticflyer

Default RE: How fast?

Depending on how heavy that plane is when it's ready to fly......I would bet that when completed it will be heavier than the manufactures listed weight. I would put a larger engine in it if I owned it. Weight and wing loading are the things you must consider. The lower the wing loading the less thrust you will need to keep it in the air. Up the weight and the wing loading and you will need a good bit more motor to keep it in the sky. Caution though.....alot of these ARF's are built from really lite poor quality wood. Despite the size if you put a larger power plant in one that has not been strengthened in several area....it might shake apart. I had a friend who flew a 40 sized ARF for the first time with a 40 engine in it. Well half way down the runway the firewall and motor fell out. Let severl other guys at your club look it over and get a balanced recommendation on what to power it with. If I had it in my hand I could give you a good suggestion........... Remember to...it's a "SCALE" old time racer probably more for looks than speed. Neet lookin plane though....I have thought about getting one similar to it
If you really want to go fast look into a purpose built speed plane....Viper, Q-500, Patriot, some Warbirds, and PropJets.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 AM
vasek

Articflyer, I do have planes specifically designed to go fast. My question was more of a "how do i get this plane to go fast(er)".

I want this plane to "appear" fast and be exciting to fly. Just seems to me maybe a .60 would do a better job than a .40 for this plane size/ weight.

This ARF is brand new on the market & there's no experimenting yet.

I like the looks of the plane but i would buy it only if i can make it "go". Thus my question.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 AM
arcticflyer

Man, I feel your pain....there is no way to know until you have it in your hand. That's the problem with mail order[&:] I got a plane recently at an RC Flea Market for half of what it would cost.....when I got it home I found that no way would I have paid full price for that plane and would have sent it back upon seeing it[:@] All it was worth
was what I paid for it.... "half"[:'(]

Back to your plane I was thinking a 60 as well cause when you get done it will probably be a little heavier! Send some pics if you decide to get it!

My job is moving me to Canada in May.....Prince Albert area....might bump into you!!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She is not a fast plane ... flown her. However, surprisingly she flies nice. I enjoyed flying her around ... she feels smooth. A 46 2C would be nice. My friend used a 70 4C.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the new Black Horse Models Gilmore Lion racer which is a Wedell-Williams Model 44. This model is ~1/5 scale. The max speed ever attained was 304 mph. So if this model flies 61 mph it will be flying at a correct scale speed.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 AM
vasek

thanks 4 the info
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM
kevinmansouri

Put a small prop on it, less torque more high end speed. That will be 50 bucks.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Blade-breaker

You may need to beef up the firewall!

I wish I had the cash to try one of these out. Looks fun!
http://www.jetcatusa.com/spt5.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77811.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1164857  
Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right there with ya BB!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vasek

how fast should this semi-scale racer be?

span 58"
length 46 1/2"
weight 6 lbs
recommended engine 46 2C or 56 4C

it seems a large plane for a .46 don't you guys think?

what engine would make it go relatively fast? It's got a large frontal area but it was a racer in it's day...
It would fly fine with the recommended engines - sometimes I forget that a modern .46 will pull a 6lb airplane around smartly no sweat. But unlimited verticals and high top speed? Ah well.. there you go. I'd lean towards a large 4C, but failing that a .61-.75 2C should haul it around just dandy, and a .90 or .91 ought to be totally amusing. With that big ol' radial nose I would not expect any blistering speeds, and you'll want to make sure you have enough disc area up front, i.e. I'm pretty sure spinning a .50 at 20k on a 8.75" prop won't do much for this thing. But a 10" or 11" prop with some pitch and power behind it is another thing.

MJD