Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
 SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!! >

SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!!

No, it's got to be either one or the other just for the sake of making everything fit. The danger of running a line pinch that doesn't positively clamp off the line is frying the engine if a trickle of fuel still flows. The fuel in these systems is under more pressure than some realize. It might be a good idea to rig up a TT.40 type guinea pig to test the working range and sensitivity of the valves I picked up.

It would be nice to see a detailed view and description of how the Germans set their planes up.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha. So even the same servo on RNV and pinch isn't an option eh? What about pulling a line off at the limit of travel as an option, with 3/4 stick travel dedicated to useable mixture? Just thinking stupidly out loud..

MJD

Old 10-22-2009, 04:27 PM

I think it depends on how hard you want to make an idea work VS how badly you need the idea to work. Inside the SD cowl with just the RNV and line pinch to hook up, the plumbing gets pretty busy. You could run a seperate control rod off the servo arm for the MCV, the trick is cramming everything in there neatly.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Bob Violet RNV are still available. They sold off all the rest of the Ducted Fan stuff but they still have a "couple" of RNV's as of about a month ago. I had to call them to find out.
On the ME163 I am using one and it would allow for a full lean cut out, if you set it up with that in mind. I have mine set up in a middle capacity and just screw down the needle a bit more as I have a nice big OS carb to shut down with transmitter trims.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not use a gradual fuel line pinch as a RNV with full stick movement a total shut off. During static runs we control the fuel flow with our pinch test and a servo should be more precise. Our ears have to tell us what is right in either case. Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM

I called BVM within the last couple months and asked for a RNV. The person who answered the phone acted confused and put me on hold. When she came back, the word was they didn't have any. At that time I silently cursed Rocket Rob for buying up all the last units...
What I ended up doing was getting a Perry MCV and a Prather MCV.
The Perry unit is a rotating barrel valve and the Prather is a lever driven cam lobe that just squeezes the fuel line progressively. I don't think a "squeeze valve" will give consistent control or enough resolution since the linkage would need to be very stiff and refined.....but I don't know yet.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:28 AM

Great work c/p. Hope you can get video for us to all enjoy. Exclusive 200mph club is surly around the corner for you.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM

I took the SD out for another spin today. Same set up exactly as before to see if it would repeat the 195 run.
I launched it this time at 23,000 though. The thrust really went up for launch, it shot out of my hand pretty good. There was no big delay waiting for it to get going, it was screaming at the highest level I've heard yet. The 7.6% extra power needed to hit 200 mph sounded like it was there. After the run I confidently walked up to the plane, tripped the readout and the damn thing "said"....1.....9......9...... [:@]
The engine still wasn't hot, the glow plug was frazzled but still able to light up. At no point during the run was there any hint of a sag, it had to be running in the ball park of 30,000. It is still being launched below the usual rpm that the racers go with.
The bad news is the prop broke a tip, the wire that holds the pipe to the engine broke again and the screws that hold the cowl to the plane have burned their way through the FG laminations, even with extra wide washers under the screw heads.
So there was just 1 run today.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Cool!
Sounds like better than 200 is indeed possible...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:51 PM
My Feedback: (5)

A slight mod to the engine cowl or maybe cowl the elevon linkage. Too close to quit now.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Yeah...as long as nothing goes snap, crackle or pop, it's just a matter of repetitions now. There wasn't a breath of air out there today to help the speed, either.
The cowl must be vibrating enough to generate heat and chafing action to the hold down screws?
Here is a comparison look at the modified chopped fiber Q40 prop that went 199 with a true CF strand Eliminator prop that has yet to be tried [here].
A photo to compare some of the different props and their subtle differences. The wood prop on bottom is a Q15 prop from way back when.
See how wormed out the cowl screw holes got? Fiberwashers might do the trick?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62743.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1301382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52075.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1301383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64839.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1301384  
Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 AM
My Feedback: (44)

and use nylon screws as well, but hey your knocking on the door, congrats!, got a prop thats a smidgen smaller, and give it another run, i have very few problems when i use nylon screws and bolts on high rpm airframes, i am using 8-32 nylon screws on my current fun plane, with rpms north of 16k on the ground and zero hole fretting
Old 10-25-2009, 06:41 AM

great.!! 199!

What about a lighter battery?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:10 AM

I'll raid the hardware bins at the store today. Nylon screws scare me a little if the heads snap off. I've been using #2 sheetmetal screws with thin flat washers thinking that I knew what I was doing...they work OK on lower revving stuff if you check them from time to time.

The smaller battery idea is doable, I think...depends on the CG outcome. It has a AA pack now, I think they weigh 5-6 ozs or more? That's like half an engine there.

For now, I'm going to tighten things up concentrating on fixing what broke yesterday...make it better than before and try a run with the Eliminator prop. I think once the magic number gets posted, then I'll be more willing to experiment...even though a 200 reading from a HF? doesn't mean that much, it's still a barrier to cross.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 AM

lighter prop? more rpm? polish airframe?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Yeah...as long as nothing goes snap, crackle or pop, it's just a matter of repetitions now. There wasn't a breath of air out there today to help the speed, either.
The cowl must be vibrating enough to generate heat and chafing action to the hold down screws?
Here is a comparison look at the modified chopped fiber Q40 prop that went 199 with a true CF strand Eliminator prop that has yet to be tried [here].
A photo to compare some of the different props and their subtle differences. The wood prop on bottom is a Q15 prop from way back when.
See how wormed out the cowl screw holes got? Fiberwashers might do the trick?
Wow, there must have been a lot of vibration or flexing of the airframe to do that.
My guess is there is some twisting of the airframe where the left front hole was blown out. Your cowl probably is under a lot less stress than the airframe so when the stress is transfered to it the holes are what suffer all the wear. This is the type of thing you get running high performance engines, like twisting the frame of a 57 T'bird putting a 390 in it, btdt...

Still it sounds like your going to have the first Demon to pass the 200 mark, great work CP!
Hope everything stays together for you.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
My Feedback: (14)

well Mike... it's ready for covering........ i cannot claim to have built it though. Made a deal with a buddy who is a real good builder and traded him some stuff for building services. It's going to get a TT .46 to start until i'm used to it... then something faster. I've got some yellow ultracote that has chrome spots all over it for the bottom and it'll have white on the top with a couple maple leafs and a very colourful wingtip... should be alright for contrast.

Geoff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51662.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1389885  
Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
MJD

Well look at that, a naked Demon! The TT .46 will haul it around "just fine". I like my neon wingtips so far.

So.. you don;t want darker on the bottom? I'm not partial to yellow is all, not as a colour but visibilty-wise.

MJD
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM

The most important thing for me is to tell the top from the bottom. I only want the bright "gingerbread" on top and the bottom to be simply dark. If I get a flash of color, then I know in an instant that the plane is right side up.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
My Feedback: (14)

I could go daker i guess.... i just thought that it would be a good contrast witht he chrome and yellow vs. white and red... thats all. I already been snooping around for a faster engine for it as well... probably just do the shake down flights with the TT .46 then move to some thing faster...

geoff[>:]
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
MJD

Hey, those colours might work fine for you. I just avoid yellow as I had a rough time with a yellow model once. If you like it use it!

I painted a huge black "this way up" arrow on the bottom of mine on a white center background, I can see it at about any distance. I posted a pic somewhere here, but I can't find a copy on my hard drive.

MJD

Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The most important thing for me is to tell the top from the bottom. I only want the bright ''gingerbread'' on top and the bottom to be simply dark. If I get a flash of color, then I know in an instant that the plane is right side up.
Agree, funny my magnum is dark on top and bright pink underneath! The reverse. Fly the dark graphics on top,roll and catch a glimpse of pink.
All about instant recongnition, which ever way you choose.!!