Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
 SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!! >

SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SCREAMIN' DEMONS EVERYWHERE !!!

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

......just havin' some fun, it's really a 1/2Aer with a CVA .15.

I'm not going any further with the SD until the servos arrive and also not going to finish the SD until I'm done with the ''How Fast?'' that is in this little delta.
I thought it had changed somewhat radically.. . And I recall you had to order hardware yet, so I wondered what you were up to. And that ain't no Nelson. I thought you said "buck it" and slapped an OS on the front to be done with it. I remember that aircraft now.

What servos did you end up choosing?

If this plug works out, it might be a week and I'll be at the point of trying to layup first parts. I'm not grinding to a halt on these things these days, this is serious R&D here..

This drawing shows a Jett .60LX, which is a direct overlay for a Nelson .40, under the cowl as I laid it out. Note the engine is shown elevated by using the doubler on top.

MJD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82456.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1228417  
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That looks good. That's the only side view I've ever been able to come up with that looked the cleanest.
I picked out the Tower brand [Hobbico] Hi Tork servos at about $40 each instead of the comparable Hitek ones at $70 each.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Screaming Demon with a Nelson .40 that the gentleman had built with a beautiful cowl off RCU last week (see Screaming Demon home page...the orange one). I've been into speed for some time but I have to say this is a MISSILE!
He told me the only things I needed were servos, receiver, and battery...he should have mentioned a diaper!!!
Have a great 4th weeekend,
Jim
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I think thats Speedygonzales' plane.
Yeah thats a sweetheart of a SD, what a beautiful job he did.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 AM

The servos came from Hobbico today. Kind of creepy to see the Walmartish looking packaging...just the name alone gives me chills....enough said......think positive.

I'm showing an old .061 powered plane that does over 100 with a hot engine like a Cyclon, more like 90 with this Norvel. You can see that it isn't much smaller than the SD. It weighs about 12 ozs RTF.

Name:	Pn35916.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1231193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11377.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1231194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13392.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1231195  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So tell us about the plane, a little show and TELL...

W.S.
Weight
Speed

About the .15 powered 1/2A one too....
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM
MJD

The servos came from Hobbico today. Kind of creepy to see the Walmartish looking packaging...just the name alone gives me chills....enough said......think positive.

I'm showing an old .061 powered plane that does over 100 with a hot engine like a Cyclon, more like 90 with this Norvel. You can see that it isn't much smaller than the SD. It weighs about 12 ozs RTF.
So, you're saying a Blink with a Profi might be a handful...?

MJD
Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Evan, I built the purple delta about 6 years ago to have something tame for a FORA .049 to pull around. I was surprised by how fast it was. At the time I was already flying a 32" delta with a .32. The purple delta has 28" span, uses HS 81 servos, Electron RX [or Berg] and 350 mah nimh. It has no airfoil, it's made out of 1/4" balsa sticks with balsa sheeting and cap strips. IIRC there is a 1/8" F/G spar inside.
The smaller delta with the .15 was originally built just for a G&Z .061 [that Bill Hughes used at the World Championships for C/L Speed]. He did some magic to it, it would 4 cycle at 32,000...pinch line to get it to hit the pipe and watch the needle jump to 42,000. At that rpm it sounded Satanic. Over a period of maybe 50 runs, I figured out that this was the most expensive to run engine I ever owned, thankfully that version was phased out. Anyway, it was pretty fast on the delta but you could see a World of difference with that engine on a high aspect ratio winged conventional plane.
With the piped G&Z .061 I could only estimate the speed at over 120. A 4 pitch prop at 46,000 rpm is the estimated inflight figures. With the OS .15 I've hit 113 mph with a 6.5x5 APC and that number jives perfectly with the pitch speed worked out beforehand on paper.

MJD, I would install your Profi on something the size of this purple plane to get used to the Profi, then work your way down from there. The performance will be spectacular.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM
MJD

MJD, I would install your Profi on something the size of this purple plane to get used to the Profi, then work your way down from there. The performance will be spectacular.
Yeah, I plan to put it on an SWR first and figure out how to run it. I also noticed the firewall of the engine was a perfect fit to the spinner ring on a Sunracer speed 400 pylon racer.. but that might hold it back too much.

MJD

Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 PM

At 7 ozs with a tanked reedie, the model is a lawn dart. With a hot TD I ripped out the firewall doing a loop. Every other Blink thread I recall had something similar early in the game, for one reason or another. There isn't enough wing area near the tips to carry any more than 7-8 ozs very well. A straight TE would help, 2 " chord wing tips just aren't flyin' below mach 1.
I think you'll find that a 20-22" span Lil' SD will be just right for a Profi.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
MJD

Mine still works fine, but I have headaches launching with small 4" pitch props, hence the Blinkapult I am slowing cobbling together. It's a hoot in the air. In all honesty, you're right about a different model being a better idea, and what better excuse to design up a little bigger 1/2A delta. The sheer lunacy of the idea is appealing, but maybe I'll toss on a VA MkI with a combat prop to replace the MKII R/C. The R/C VA is destined for my Mach None at this point.

MJD

Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 PM

How does 127 mph sound from a OS .15?

I spent some time with a handfull of different props today to see which would be fastest. One of the props was a APC 7 pitch prop I cut down and reshaped the blades, to about 6 inches.

MAS 7x4 113 mph
APC 7x5 117
APC 6.5x5 124
APC 6.5x5.5 127
APC 6x7 91 mph.....[I guess I shouldn't be messing with APC props].

The model looks like Hell cuz it's been through Hell. It was flown a few times with a combination of problems, the worst was a Berg RX that works 99.9% of the time. There was also a servo that worked 99.9% of the time. The plane is rock solid now with a Electron 6 RX. I'm going to get a new Electron for the Screamin' Demon. The Berg RXs are starting to pile up around here which is too bad since they will fit in anything, just not hardy enough for me.

Name:	Wu60608.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1232933   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43466.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1232934  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM

Hitec Electron 6 or the obsolete Hitec 555 are rock solid receivers. I don't /won't use anything else in a speed plane. Funny how Hitec's low end (low cost) dual conversion receivers are the best that I've come across in their brand and the other manufactures as well. No PCM lock-out, No spread spectrum low voltage reboot, just simple, dumb, cheap, works every time.

And there's less and less guys on my channel these days, the freq. board is getting vacant
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM

Yep, I feel the same way about those 555s. Mine are a little bit punch drunk from lots of combat...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 AM

But Hitsc won't support the 555 anymore....

I like the little 4 channel synth recievers from Hobbyking too, $20 and I've never had an issue with one. Their 6 and 8 channel synths are great too. I just ordered two more of each, the 4 and 8 channel ones.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5781

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6406
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM

The 555s are so cheap at swap meets, I'd just chuck it .....if I had one fail.

Haven't had much luck with a synth, I used a Polks Hobby Seeker 6, terrible noise rejection. My(crystal) Berg 7p with it's auto-shift was a looser with high noise too

I haven't tried the two that you like. The Corona is PCM, great stuff when it's clean
Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Why still use 72 Mhz? [sm=confused.gif][sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Because it's better? Really even though there is the choice of 2.4 why should I move over? I have 50+ receivers in planes on 72 and have no problems with it. Been using it since the early 70's. I've heard of people having more problems with 2.4 than the whole time I've used 72....
Old 07-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks for showing those synthetic RXs Evan. Have you used them for high revvin' glow powered stuff?

72 does work very well in my area and I'll use it until 2.4 has been demonstrated to be superior from every angle. The Xtal has been the weak link....

$20 for a synthetic RX sounds too good to be true!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM

No, but in my high power electrics and super high flying gliders.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Because it's better? Really even though there is the choice of 2.4 why should I move over? I have 50+ receivers in planes on 72 and have no problems with it. Been using it since the early 70's. I've heard of people having more problems with 2.4 than the whole time I've used 72....
No frequency conflicts is good enough for me. I've had zero problems with 2.4
I can see changing a bunch of receivers as being costly, so I'd probably do the same as you if I had a bunch of legacy stuff. But since I just started flying two years ago, I've been 2.4 since day one.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BiggerDanno
No frequency conflicts is good enough for me. I've had zero problems with 2.4
And that darn long transmitter and receiver antenna.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Yeah... my reasoning at this point too. I have a lot of very good, reliable 72mhz radio gear. Not going to can it just to be trendy.

Frequency control board at the field has worked nicely for 35 years of flying too. Comfort level is there.

Although, the ability to run a racing event with a fully integrated pilot matrix is a serious benefit. Fly against anyone.

A few weeks ago I watched a rather nice 35% go into reboot about 20 feet up off the runway. I didnt even know that was a known issue with some 2.4 systems.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BiggerDanno

Why still use 72 Mhz? [sm=confused.gif][sm=drowning.gif]
To this day I'm still seeing a lot of carnage with 2.4. Some $$$ giant scale making big dents in the earth. It's hit and miss, some guys just love it and others are saying "I never had these problems back when I was on 72".

I was sitting on the sidelines to see whats the best 2.4 than jump in, but the economy has forced me to hold off on everything, now I'm in survival mode.
Besides I'd have to buy a bunch of 2.4 receivers to fill the planes.

Nuf said, I'm off topic on this thread, My bad.... bring on the Demons!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Re-booting occurs when the pack voltage drops too low. Pre-flight check of pack voltage would prevent this. Another thing that can cause it is faulty connections, usually traced to cold solder joints. All of which are problems with the mechanic/pilot, not the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.