Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

grudge match-who's going to win?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)
View Poll Results: A poll
the lucky stick
90.63%
the bobcat
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

grudge match-who's going to win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 PM
sportrider_fz6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grudge match-who's going to win?

poorwboy and I have a friendly grudge match going about who's plane is going to be faster.
in His corner he has a lucky stick with a Jett .46 running an APC 9x7 prop.
in my corner is a bobcat with an OS .61 running an 11x7 APC prop.

VS
Old 10-27-2009, 11:50 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: grudge match-who's going to win?

bobcat is gonna lose
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the Stick to win, but the Bobcat is a very cool plane in it's own right. Have fun........[8D]
Old 10-28-2009, 04:52 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I've flown exactly what you've got. You're going to loose by 30 mph. Try to leave the nose wheel as long as you can, it takes forever to get off the ground, we needed a lucky bounce. I'm building my Bobcat with out the fins and stab.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the OS .61 can turn an 11-7 at the same rpm as the Jett turns the 9-7 you might have a chance..

MJD

Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick all the way.[8D]
Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

My guess would be the bobcat will have a potential speed advantage in a straight line, but the stick will out turn it without any problem and probably leave it behind from the turns.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

My guess would be the bobcat will have a potential speed advantage in a straight line, but the stick will out turn it without any problem and probably leave it behind from the turns.
I got the stick out turning the Bobcat, but can you explain your thinking on the Bobcats advantage at top speed? Don't take the question as a put down or a attck, I really want to know what it is about the Bobcat that makes you think it's going to be faster.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
MJD

I always come back to my favorite personal axiom - Just because it looks fast it don't mean it is fast. There are really no design features of the Bobcat I can see that make it aerodynamically cleaner, with the exception of the airfoil thickness. To me it's a look-a-like thing that fools everyone into thinking it's a rocket. I'm not saying it's a dog, but put the same power in an older pattern design and run the two against each other. Swept wings do diddly squat at low subsonic speeds, except optics and a bit of dihedral effect.

The Jett .46 probably makes as much or more power as the OS .61, and the pitch speed of that prop and engine combo is gonna be way up there. How fast is that .61 going to spin? Not even close. Same pitch. The issue is whether or not that thick wing is too draggy. But we'll soon see. It will be interesting. In any case they'll both be a hoot to fly. Have fun.

MJD
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
sportrider_fz6

hey look!!!! the bobcat got a vote

hey, I had to vote for myself. what do you guys think, I'm not confident???
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Bobcat is going to get SPANKED!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:29 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: MJD

I always come back to my favorite personal axiom - Just because it looks fast it don't mean it is fast. There are really no design features of the Bobcat I can see that make it aerodynamically cleaner, with the exception of the airfoil thickness. To me it's a look-a-like thing that fools everyone into thinking it's a rocket. I'm not saying it's a dog, but put the same power in an older pattern design and run the two against each other. Swept wings do diddly squat at low subsonic speeds, except optics and a bit of dihedral effect.

The Jett .46 probably makes as much or more power as the OS .61, and the pitch speed of that prop and engine combo is gonna be way up there. How fast is that .61 going to spin? Not even close. Same pitch. The issue is whether or not that thick wing is too draggy. But we'll soon see. It will be interesting. In any case they'll both be a hoot to fly. Have fun.

MJD
Having flown a BVM Kingcat for a few years, (not a real comparison I know) and having flown Quickie 500's for many years, just looking at the two airframes, I thin the potential for straight line speed is slightly better for the bobcat. The airframe has less frontal drag area, the wing thickness is less, and knowing the airframe style, it is clean (haven't flown prop bobcats admittedly, but both the BVM KIngcat and Bobcat which this thing is ripped off from). That stick is not a quickie, it's a thick wing, has a larger frontal drag area (guessing). The Jett will certainly be a higher revving engine, but whether the airframe will really benefit from that I don't know, I tend to think there will be more prop slippage with that airframe than the OS will see with the larger diameter prop on the bobcat. Only one real way to tell though, go fly them!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
gsalort1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: MJD

MJD

I agree with MJD!, in the past I had a patern shown in the picture and OS 61 FSR, fast combination!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82180.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1304691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72181.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1304692  
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM
MJD

Yeah for sure, the thick wing on the stick is its Achilles heel. The Bobcat is clean enough, but that engine/prop combo is maybe about a 100mph affair on a really clean airframe, so if the Jett can drag that thing past 100 is a question - it certainly has the right attitude to do it. The race is on.

MJD
Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
poorwboy

Well we raced today with some slight changes. I pulled the jett off of the stick and put a os46ax on it. I was getting 15100 rpm with 10x6 apc prop. The bobcat was probably 3-4 mph faster. So we both agree with the jett motor pulling a 10x6 apc at 17400 the bobcat would of got a spankin. The bobcat is pretty fast though.It was a good day.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice going out there! The stick might be a little faster with a 9x8?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 PM
daven

Even a 10x7 would have been faster.

Best prop for consistent speed on the 46 ax
Old 11-01-2009, 09:22 PM
MJD

But you were supposed to spank him with the Jett and report back to us..! [] That's no fun, now we'll never know.

MJD
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 PM
poorwboy

LOL you are trying to pump me up. I can still bolt the jett motor on and spank him. But me and him already know he would get a spankin with the jett motor.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 PM
soarrich

Spank him, some guys like that!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

lmao
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
sportrider_fz6

fun day!!! the bobcat is fast but... not fast enough. it needs more pitch. the stick was surprisingly fast with the AX in it, it would be disgusting with that Jett motor. I got two flights out of the bobcat before I had a pilot caused motor problem. ( I guess I was in such a hurry to get the plane together & set up right, I didn't bother to properly torque the engine back plate bolts and lost two in flight. amazing what a bolt passing through a prop will do.) the first landing was scary at best, as I was on final looking good I started to flair and the plane ballooned about 15 feet before I bounced it pretty good. the second landing was dead stick, I let it settle in on it's own. much better way to do it.