Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Team Canada wins GOLD!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Team Canada wins GOLD!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Team Canada wins GOLD!

ORIGINAL: Tjettzky

ORIGINAL: MJD
He smartly whistled a wrist shot past Hiller in the shooutout to move the team on
I don't like that rule for the Olympic Shootout. The one about letting the same guy go over and over and over. It's more fun when the stars can't score and you're dipping into the 3rd line guys and 2nd line defensemen for the shootout. That adds Drama, not Crosby or Ovechkin getting 5 cracks at it.

I'm not a Cindy hater, I understand that he's an immense talent and a pretty good leader, but down here in the states we're just a little sick of him being jammed down our throats. All last year Versus and NBC showed Pittsburg and Crosby highlights, as though they forgot that Detroit won the Stanley Cup and players like Ryan Miller, Lecavalier, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Selanne exist. Kane and Toewes in Chicago (sucks) are fantastic talents and have countless highlight film goals that would make for great commercials/promos, but they are ignored. Of the 4 NBC ''Games of the Week'' leading up to the Olympics, 3 of them had Cindy and the Pens. So perhaps we think we hate Crosby, but it's more that we're just tired of seeing him ALL THE TIME. As a Red Wing fan I'll not bring up the blatant Officiating bias during the last Stanley Cup Finals and the lack of Suspensions handed out to certain Penguin players after Game 2, and how giddy Gary Buttman looked when the Pens ''won'' The Cup...

Oh, yeah, Fantastic Tournament with an excellent game to finish it off. I am sad we couldn't pull it off, but I'm glad that my boy-hood hero Steve Yzerman won't get tarred and feathered... I also appreciate the officials letting the teams play the Gold Medal Game. I doubt the Bronze Medal game went 5-on-5 for more than a minute straight...

Yes.... Buttman needs to go!!!! I agree on the amount of press time Sid gets.... for us up here in Canada its the same with the Leafs.... Ron Wilson farts and it's a news story... Brian Burke puts in another wad of chew and its' front and centre on TSN!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Flyboy76

I was chatting with one of my customers who's son plays AA Bantam hockey and was blown away by how many games his son plays.... he figured that between league, tournaments, playoffs and provincials that he'd play over 70 games this winter. the season starts middle of september and ends in april!! And they also used to do summer hockey as well!!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Les Nessman

Fly boy I see you chear for the riders, where are you from?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

sounds like sour grapes to me
No sour grapes....some of are still Po'd about the loss. Give it some time. I don't watch Hockey, but I do watch the Olympics, and it was a great game (well, except the loss). And still, I need at least another week to cool off.....[:@]
And we'd be equally PO'ed too if the tides were turned, natch..! Just pulling some leg there. It was exciting, no doubt about that. Could have gone either way. IMHO if our defense wasn't out for tea at T-minus 30 seconds, the tying goal might never have been scored. "Excuse me gents, sorry to bother you and all that, but there are two opposing players parked in front of your net, would you mind nipping over and having a quick word with them? Thanks ever so much."

Whatever the issues with Crosby, he did the deed when it needed done. I have no use for shootouts either, whatever the rules. As for having enough of any Canadian hockey icons, Don Cherry makes me nauseous..

Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Flyboy76

ORIGINAL: Les Nessman

Fly boy I see you chear for the riders, where are you from?
Nokomis... i've flown with Gary McGillvray from yorkton a couple times... he's built a couple planes for me and helped me tons with my little heli's to...

geoff
Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Tjettzky

ORIGINAL: Flyboy76

I was chatting with one of my customers who's son plays AA Bantam hockey and was blown away by how many games his son plays.... he figured that between league, tournaments, playoffs and provincials that he'd play over 70 games this winter. the season starts middle of september and ends in april!! And they also used to do summer hockey as well!!
Did you see the documentary on Pond Hockey they showed on the NHL network a month or so ago? They brought up the over-playing of the youth in hockey and what little practice time they get is spent wholly on the coaches system, most of the kids are becoming burnt-out hockey machines with no creativity. Some of those kids are playing for Local, School, and Travel teams at the same time. No time for homework or anything else.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
daven

Canada can keep Don Cherry and his outrageous suits and ties.

I couldn't believe before the game started he predicted a 3 goal win by team Canada.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Flyboy76

Don Cherry is all about Don Cherry!!! shock and awe..... i just tune in to see what type of suit he's got on then i tune out!!

Tjettzky.... i didn't see it but i totally believe it!! I coach my sons bantam team and we have a 15 game schedule plus we usually sprinkle in a couple exhibition games at the start of the year to help get the kids into shape. The kids are on the ice usually 3 times a week, usually 2 practices and a game or vice versa. with provincials and if we were to go to the league finals that puts us at 24 games which is about right. Plus the ice doesn't go in until halloween in our rink. This will probably be my sons last year as he's 15 and has a girlfriend and loves working on vintage snowmobiles as well. Just wish i could get him flying!!!

geoff
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
DeferredDefect

I hate shootouts - I'd rather watch 3 hours of exciting overtime then knowing the game will end in five minutes.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Shootouts haven't always been part of hockey, have they?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
DeferredDefect

No - Up until recently, It would go into overtime until someone scored, which could be a long time, but it was much more fun. Another thing that gets people going was when the CBC pulled the "Hockey Night In Canada" theme song - people practically started riots.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
MJD

No kidding - that theme is my definition of an icon, it caused a serious Pavlovian reaction for a high % of Canucks.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
combatpigg

I'm a little confused......I always thought ties were a big part of hockey? They might have been bad for fan interest [who wants to pay good money to see a tie?], but I thought ties were fairly common.....at least back when Gump Worsely was guarding the net?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
bjfrankl

Lets not forget that, according to many experts, the US wasn't even expected to medal. While the loss hurts, I believe that Team USA is heading in the right direction. Many of the US players would not even have made the Canadian Olympic team, yet the US put themselves in position to win the gold medal.

The US has a young team, and I look forward to watching them again in 4 years!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 AM
C_Roundy

Wow!,... I should probably stay out of this, -but- if we brought the same passion to our airplanes, those straight line Europeans would be toast.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 AM
hairy46

Congratulations to our northern friends, it was a great hockey game! Canada put on wonderful olympic games! Never been to Canada but enjoyed seeing some of it through the games. Always look forward to the winter olympic's and feel Canada did a great job with them!

Tragic lost with the one critical accident, Sad!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

What the @#*% does this have to do with R/C anything !!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
combatpigg

........well, then show us one of your extreme speed prop planes........
Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc

What the @#*% does this have to do with R/C anything !!!!!
About as much as half the threads here have to do with RC speed flying.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: C_Roundy

Wow!,... I should probably stay out of this, -but- if we brought the same passion to our airplanes, those straight line Europeans would be toast.
I agree about the passion part, but a lot of those guys ain't fooling around.. it will take some serious effort to give them a run for the money.

Apart from the fun road trip and getting together to play with airplanes part of it, a big part of my determination to make it to the NC speed rally this year with one or two others is to show interest from somewhere outside of a 100 mile radius of the event. The more folks make efforts like that, the more others may do the same, and if that happens here and there it provides groundwork for the sport, local competition, and F3S aspects of speed flying to grow and flourish in NA.

I still get a kick out of the guy that did what, 265 kph?, in 1988 with a Webra .12. One day I'll have a real F2A .15, one day.. [&o]

MJD

Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Tjettzky

I watch Don Cherry for the same reason I read the AMA forums, Pure Entertainment! You never know what will be said next and it's a little scary, like a bad horror movie .

I am shocked that someone's head didn't end up on a pike outside the CBC when they pulled the HNIC Theme song...
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Once this latest generation of obese, blubberbutt Nintendo babies comes of age to sire children of their own, 99.9% of pro athletes in the USA will be imported.

I suspect Canada would have the same problem.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sour grapes lol , please quit the Canada/USA crap , you wont find a better friend in Canada then me and the people of the USA . I had the opportunity to speak in Kitchner in October after 9/11 and my speach was to a hockey crowd and on the subject of how great the people of Canada were and are to the people in the USA .

My comments are 100% from a hockey purist , and you will notice that most of my examples I menhioned as a "real" player are Canidian .

So its not about the player , its about the game and this player again "in my opinion " is not the true grit of the game . He is an example of the old stoggy NHL board of directors disconnect with the game and why everytime and NHL board member steps foot on the ice is totally booed in Canada and the USA .

The ratings for hockey with the exception of Vancover are consistantly beaten by things like bowling lol , why ??? because its the way its marketed and the way the players are misrepresented in the USA .

Why do you think they picked JR as a comentater ??? he is tuff , gritty and adds good color , same with the great Canadian x-Bruin who stated " that was Euro trash " after Canada beat the Russians lol , that man is a hockey player , old time yes but classic !!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

OK, ok back to speed planes please, I think this should be continued in a hockey forum somewhere.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
MJD

You started it..! I knew if I said "sour grapes" I'd call in the wrath, but I was just pulling a leg there.

February blahs and winter stir-craziness has gotten to all of us in the north. Yessirree - time to fly something FAST. I braved the mild temps and sunshine yesterday to fly a GWS Tiger Moth*.. set up the landing, sit down and nap, when the alarm goes off wake up and chop the throttle.

MJD

* I haven't gone soft, it's painted up like the full scale Moth from our museum so I can fly it around at events. It has a purpose..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.