Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 AM
daisy shoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions

I purchased a magnum (not r) sometime ago. I installed an ax .46 and had a good friend fly it. 112 mph on a mouse can! May not seem like much to some but I was impressed....and nervous I pulled the motor and I have a couple options for replacement; throw the 46 back in, nib os 55 (mouse can pipe) or a nib rossi .53.

My dilema is this, I'd like to prop it to cruise around and gradually prop it to full speed! I'm new to speed, I generally fly low and slow (3d) but speed is the latest addiction.

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Looking for suggestions

If you want it to gradually increase in speed, use the throttle.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A 11x6 prop will make the model pull real hard out of your hand, even at 3/4 throttle.
After you get used to that, then try a 10x7.......then 9x8.
Master Airscrew props are a little harder to break while you're going through your training with the plane.
Make sure you balance the plane so that you don't run out of elevator at low speed. They tend to fly nose heavy if balanced per the instructions.
If the plane is set up right, a 3D pilot should have no trouble getting the hang of it
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
daisy shoot

I guess I should have phrased my question a little differently or with more details. Pig you understood my intentions. I am looking for just that, a good launch prop. I am under the impression the rossi likes high rpms, and I'm fairly confident it's faster than the os 55, however am I assuming correctly that the os will better with an 11" prop on it?

Advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 AM
zero-cool

the magnum launches good with most props.some advice.dont waste the money on a rossi or the 55ax.spend just a little bit more and get a sport jett 50.It can be proped for a 10x6 to a 9x8 its a hot engine but dont let it scare you.just get it up.throttle back and putt around the sky for a while.I have never owned a better engine.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 AM
daisy shoot

I already own these three engines, and a Jett isn't in the budget. But I would love to own one!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Don't disregard Jett altogether, he has a new Quickie Jett .40 motor out for $250.

Heck of a deal.

For the .46AX go with the 10x7, perfect prop for the motor and should get you around the 115-120mph mark.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
daisy shoot

I'm sure it's the cats meow, but I'm setting up this plane with goodies I have on hand. Tonight I plan on beefing up and shedding some weight with cf hardware and I'll decide which motor to toss back in. This weekend here in mass doesn't look to promising for flying and I'm itching to get this thing airborn!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
SpeedBoy

The Rossi should make the best job on speed , if you want to use a 11" prop , that would be a 11x6 , I did test 11x7 apc on mine and wasn't able to rev up as I wanted. Then you can go with 10x7 or 10x8 apc and would work well , then you can try a 9x8 , 9x9 or 9x10 and see what prop does the best job for you.

Anyway , if the target is speed you can go just straight with the 9" prop and use the throttle as Daven said .

Regards.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do the 55, buy a jett muffler for 60 bucks. if you are qualified to do, then raise the exhaust to 173 degrees with a 15-20 degree upwards taper on that. this can all be done with a dremel and diamond bit. on the top portion of the exhaust port slightly widen it by about .10. run a 9x9 -9x10 prop. we do this to the 46's and get 17,500 with jett muffler. we can get these to run stronger than the jett engines but they dont last as long. with the OS engines either bearings go in both the 46 and 55's and some 55's blow the top cylinder off on opur stage 3 engines. the rossi i would sell if was me there heavy. stage 3 is carb, crank, and chamber mods.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

speedboy has been running his rossi 53 hard for more than two years and i bet he has replaced few parts, if any other than maybe the bearings, the true cost of reliable speed...day in day out[8D]
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
daisy shoot

I understand speed=$!!! It looks as though we here in mass are gonna have another miserable weekend
maybe during the week I'll have the opportunity to break in the motor. I hope about 1/4 gallon will take care of that.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I have Jett 46 and couple 90L motors and agree that they scream in the air.
But the OS motors with Jettstream mufflers get pretty close for the budget minded folks. I've done that several times myself.
I find that the OS bearings last longer when I use YS 20/20 fuel, more oil.
I also like to use the YS/OS F plugs on these. They last quite a while even with occasional hot runs.
Regarding props, I like the APC 9x7 or 9x8 for speed runs on a light plane like this one. Just go putt putt with half throttle until you're coming out of a dive heading for the runway, then pour the coals. Throttle back to half after you passed the runway.