Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

My first real speed plane

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My first real speed plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
BiggerDanno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first real speed plane

I'm thinking that whatever requires the least amount of trim from neutral is going to provide the least amount of drag and therefore the most speed. I could be wrong though, have been before.[8D]
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nose heaviness results in more drag than proper balance due to the greater stabilizing force needed from the stab and thus higher induced drag.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Last time I looked, there was a couple Nelson .40s for sale at the RCU marketplace...for pretty cheap.

I understand that the Nelsons will balance a Magnum perfectly......everytime[8D]
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest gain by moving the CG back is the takeoff IMO. When they are set up per spec they have a nasty drop from hand launch that many of them never survive.

About CG and speed... for pylon racers a little tail heavy has proven to be faster since not as much deflection is required to make a snappy turn.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

To make the point clear for some, the term "more tail heavy" really means "moving the CG rearward closer to the neutral point", again meaning that the horizontal stab is required to generate less and less lift in level flight and thus the lower induced drag. In other words, making the aircraft more tail heavy does not mean some threshold has been passed - yet. When it is passed, you'll find out real quick.. once anyhow.

In the case of Vic's point, the farther forward the CG, the more airspeed is required to generate enough downward lift from the stab to hold the nose up and thus the greater chance of disaster. My launches were always a balllistic arc to gain speed, waiting until the aircraft had arced over somewhat before trying to lift the nose.

With enough thrust to weight at launch you can mitigate all that with a VTO.

MJD
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Last time I looked, there was a couple Nelson .40s for sale at the RCU marketplace...for pretty cheap.

I understand that the Nelsons will balance a Magnum perfectly......everytime[8D]
Is this a hint?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:56 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice explanation Mike. Since most of us with these planes are trying to get as high a top end speed as possible we usually have them propped a little tall, hence making the engine work a little to get out of the hole which adds to the drop at launch. The CG setting is a fine balance between the two.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Mr67Stang

Initially I was set on installing the OS .55ax on the nose of this thing but, I do have another option in my bench stock. I have a very low run time OS .40SF as well. The thought being reduced weight to help attain the more rearward CG. Given the two, which would you all use and why? I am not afraid of the speed getting away from me as I have already broke into triple diget flying. I do not want to have a gut wrenching earth slap off of the hand launch though. I could always prop the 55ax for some more pull (11x5ish) and work it down as I get used to hand launching this plane as well.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 AM
cncswiss1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nose heavy flys poorly, tail heavy flys once.
OK tail heavy can be flown many times (ask the Bro's but on a speed plane, tail heavy usually increases the pucker factor on a flight.
to quote bob: it can be measured by the width and density of the stripe in your underwear.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
combatpigg

67S......those great deals on Nelsons only come around when you're not looking. It's hard to call any deal on used racing engines good ones for the long term, but figure that moving parts are expendable and replaceable, it's getting your hands on the crankcase and crank that is at the core of the deal.

I would lean towards the OS 40 SF in your magnum with a 9x7 prop to begin with. You'll have plenty of thrust for launches.

Low wing planes tend to pitch down at launch, high wing planes tend to pitch up. It's about the thrust line with relation to the wing. The nicest to launch planes have the crankshaft centered on the wing. The CG plays a role in hand launch behavior, too....take a low wing plane, set it up nose heavy and it will swoop towards the ground at release. Fickle air currents at ground level can also throw a wrench in the works. Of course not releasing the plane precisely into the wind adds drama. After reading all this over, it sure makes hand launching look scary.....[]!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Mr67Stang

I have hand launched several planes in my flying time but they all had sufficient thrust to pretty much fly out of my hand and the toss was merely a way to get my fingers away from the plane. I know this plane will not be like this if set up properly to fly FAST.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
combatpigg

I think Sess ended up using 7.4 x 8 props on his Magnum with a Nelson that could turn them in the mid 20s and about 195 mph. I don't recall him complaining about sloppy launches or not.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Sessholvlaru

My fastest prop to date was a 7.4x7.6 APC Q40 prop. I think it was spinning 27k+ in the air (haven't checked my thread in forever). No problem whatsoever on launches as long as the launch is good. CG's perfect as CP says, which is way behind the aft-most recommended point. It pulls hard enough to just kind of 'let go' as opposed to actually throwing it. Man I haven't flown mine in a while...wish the weather would cooperate here!