Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Sundowner with a OS 95AX?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sundowner with a OS 95AX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
taiping

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner with a OS 95AX?

How will this setup do with a pitts muffler? thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
LongRifles Inc.

Default RE: Sundowner with a OS 95AX?

Probably pretty well.  The speed threshold (from what I've seen) with this plane is somewhere between 130-145 mph (maybe 150 in some cases but I don't think it's done often)

The OS/pitts combo is robust and easy to set up and run.  The Jett60 (what I'm using) is a bit more work to get right but once running is also a very good combination. (a bit lighter)  One trades RPM for brute "grunt" where's the other spins the snot out of the prop to get the speed.  (A buddy's OS runs an 11" prop at about 13-14k wheres my Jett likes a 9x6 prop at almost 17k.

One thing I have noticed on the OS is the fuel system.  On the Dago he has a traditional tank setup where the exhaust drives the fuel to the engine.  Towards the latter part of a flight the engine will begin to sound a bit "odd" at times like it's leaning out.  I think it has to do with running at WOT and the aeration of the fuel from the exhaust.  If possible maybe consider running a bladder style tank so that you can purge any air from the fuel system and have reliable fuel delivery.  Maybe overkill, but it won't hurt anything.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

If you have the engine use it. But dont believe for a moment that the bigger, heavier engine will make the plane fast. If you read some of the posts, even with an OS91FX or Jett 90L up front, it was not faster - it just weighed more.

Your best bet is to stick to the "46" size engines. Evo 60 is a good choice, OS46, OS55 they have all demonstrated good speeds ranging from 115-120s on up.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bob is correct a lighter plane needs less AOA to fly. more AOA means more drag.