RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Engine for the Lanier Shrike 40? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4387370-engine-lanier-shrike-40-a.html)

crasharama 07-04-2006 05:21 AM

RE: Engine for the Lanier Shrike 40?

I think you guys would give the shrike club boys a fright, they talk about OS 40LA's as being powerful engines.....[:@]

Would open some eyes with a quick engine:D

bob27s 07-05-2006 08:37 AM

The Q-500 engine would work quite well. Just keep in mind a limited throttle ability. And for the Shrike, drop down to a 8.8x8.5 prop ... engine will run effortlessly, and will give you a bit better launch pull.

hooaa 07-05-2006 09:00 AM

Bob, I'm not grasping the concept of why when reducing prop size you get a better pull. I have been puzzled as to why my .15 Shrike dives toward the ground after launch. I can barely save it each time. Yet after a few seconds it's off and running. I'm guessing that this action may be related to this topic. It's using a 4.7 x 4.7. Should I try reducing pitch a bit, and am I likely to lose top end?

bob27s 07-05-2006 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: hooaa

Bob, I'm not grasping the concept of why when reducing prop size you get a better pull. I have been puzzled as to why my .15 Shrike dives toward the ground after launch. I can barely save it each time. Yet after a few seconds it's off and running. I'm guessing that this action may be related to this topic. It's using a 4.7 x 4.7. Should I try reducing pitch a bit, and am I likely to lose top end?

The launch stuff has more to do with effective airflow over the control surfaces.

The smaller prop (in this case) is more to allow the engine to run wide open, and on the pipe right from the get-go. You will have pleanty of pull. Ask my wife. She can barely hang on to a Q-500 on the starting line sometimes.

hooaa 07-05-2006 01:35 PM

Bob,
I understand and will keep the 8.8 x 8.5 in mind. Meantime I'll ask my launcher to run a bit before tossing the .15-sized Shrike level.
Thanks for the explanation.
Roland

buzzingb 07-05-2006 05:12 PM

How would a Tower Hobbies 75 work in the Shrike 40? I am building one now and have moved the firewall back one inch and already mounted the battery in the tail by making a hatch under the horizontal stab section back where it is like a wedge. I know the 75 is a little heavy but want speed at a cheap price. If it comes out a little nose heavy I don't care unless it is so heavy it drops like a brick if the engine quits. I have alread fiberglassed the wings at the fuse for strength. I have a Thunder tiger 46 as a backup but know it won't pull this think the way I want. Would the 75 pull a 10X10? I have flown the 75 on a SIG Somthin Extra and realy like the way it pulls. It lools like the engine will fit in the nose but don't know about the fuel tank yet.

buzzingb 12-10-2007 11:41 AM

Ok, here is an overdue flight report of Shrike 40 with Tower 75 mounted on nose. The plane took off great withoug too much torque from engine (10X10), just a little right aileron. The Shrike balanced perfectly with battery just before elevator in wedge and remove 1" from firewall. Flew great arond the field at about 1/2 throttle and then big problem, dreaded flutter. I was aware that the Shrike was known for flutter but I thought tape on ailerons might work, I was wrong. I will have to rework the ailerons and I am thinking of removing about 2" from tip and maybe some next to fuse. It seemed to have more than enough aileron control and I think it will be fine without the extra aileron. If this doesn't work I may have to remove the 75 and replace with 46. I hope that I don't have to go down in power as the Shrike needs all the power it can get. I was really worried about the extra weight on landing but, the Shrike landed like a trainer and slid in as smooth as silk. It even got down to a slow glide just before touchdown as I tried to hold it just off the ground to bleed off speed. The shrike is a little hard to see in the air and if you build one use bring colors on top and different color on bottom. I used purple and yellow on top and white on the bottom.

Strykaas 12-11-2007 07:04 PM

Buzz,

what kind of hinges did you use ? Maybe you could had a couple more...

cinnabunn1 01-17-2008 03:17 AM

I built a 40 last winter and put an old OS40 max on it with a 9x8 prop. This was my first hand launched plane and I was afraid to fly it for a while. Then one day my buddy Ken said, lets do it. So we put it in the air and WOW it flys great. Fast, spins, and straight up up up. Best of all is how it lands. Bleeds off speed pretty fast, and settles in smooth for a soft skid. People are just plain impressed when they see it in the air. I'm sure a 46 would be a great fit, but the 40 seems to get it done.