Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Birth of a Dreamin' CS: How to build a SEAMLESS fiberglass boat hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Birth of a Dreamin' CS: How to build a SEAMLESS fiberglass boat hull

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Birth of a Dreamin' CS: How it's made

Absolutely correct. When assembling the decks, there are always inperfections at the seams. The molds themselves are virtually flawless so I concentrate most of the bodywork at the seam.

By applying a light "dusting" of primer, it covers the filler, resin...whatever and really makes any small imperfection stand out and I'm then able to hit that area again with spot putty or glazing compound. Won't primer the entire hull until no flaws exist. No progress past few days due to my teaching job, but may be able to get a white basecoat down this afternoon. Still completely undecided on the paint scheme. Kind of leaning toward something like this below....it's clean, not too busy and fairly easy to do. Whatever it will be, a blue or purple pearl additive will be in the 1'st layer of clear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33165.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1032214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69041.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1032215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81656.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1032216  
Old 09-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Lakefrontlivin
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: Lakefrontlivin

Like I said , Very informative post !!
I like the first pic for the paintjob...Just my Opinion..
I'll wait til you get your website up and running before bothering you..
Thanx for your time..
Keep up the good work on this post..
Tom H .
Bothering me? Are you kidding???? I could talk shop all day with you if you let me! Keeps my wife from having to listen to it all.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

By the way, the 1'st and 3'rd picture are the same boat, just forgot what order I put them in the post.

I thought that the first and third pics were of the same boat !!
Tom H .

Check out this paintjob on a boat I just purchased..!!!

Name:	Tr50460.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1032378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47472.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1032379  
Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Looking good!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Finally had a couple more hours to work on my DCS. Finally have all the pinholes filled, primered and sealed. Took a few attempts to get it perfect. Always when you think you're ready to prime, you see another imperfection. It may not ever be noticable to anyone but me, however it would drive me nuts if I didn't take care of it. Here she hangs primered and ready for a white basecoat.

Where is that seam again???

Of coarse you need to paper the inside, don't want any of that overspray hitting the glasswork!

Name:	Xv64932.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1034272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82497.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1034273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97830.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1034274  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are absurdly skilled.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Dreamin Hemi

After wetsanding the automotive primer with 400 grit (not necessary, but its MY boat this time, remember??? It was time for the basecoat of white. Whatever paint scheme I choose, I know I'm needing a white base. Plan is for a few neon colors .

1 medium coat and another medium/heavy coat to finish it off. Will dry for a evening and if time permits, start masking. Can't do too much as the design will flow into the canopy and haven't made that yet!

Name:	Mk25505.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1034755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85265.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1034756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66947.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1034757  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
miamidolphin

Hey Scott I Thought Id Post A Pic Of The Hull I Got From You Just To Show It Off. Anyone Reading This Post And Considering Getting One From Scott Id Put Your Money Down Now And Get Inline. This Hull I Bought From Him Is So Sweet. To Be Honest Ive Had It For A MONTH Or So And Dont Want To Drill Into It. HaHa But I Guess If Im Evey Going To Get It To Move In The Water Im Going To Have To. LOL. I Will Be Putting A Thread Of It When I Get Started. Just Not To Sure Of What Hardware Im Going To Go With. Any Who. Is Some Pics. And Also Let Everyone Know The Pics Do Not Give The Paint Job Any Justice. Its Very Shimmery I Guess. It Has A Super Nice Pearl To It. I Wish I Could Take Better Pics To Capture The Glow. I Will Try To Take Some Outside And Turn Off The Flash.

Name:	Rp42289.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1035612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95446.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1035613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84284.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1035614  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Dreamin Hemi

I always did like that color, one of my favorites for sure. House of Kolor Neon Yellow with heavy HOK pearl additive to "tame" the brightness a little...IT WAS TOO BRIGHT!!! I also think I added a fine sparkle to the mix that gives it that "shimmer" you describe.

Nice touch with the windshield trim you added.

Thinking of either a red ghost pearl over whatever artwork I decide to do. May still even keep it solid like yours, still up in the air. Been very busy with classes lately. Lots of lesson planning, getting stuff ready for the kids....all that fun teacher stuff. Hopefully I'll shoot some color by next week.

Name:	Lj23070.gif
Views:	41
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1035845  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Finally had a few hours to lay the glass for the canopy. Didn't want to provide details as I used the same method as building the hull. Minimal work to this canopy is all that's needed before paint is applied.

I want to note that I exclusively use spray equipment throughout the entire process from PVA application to gelcoat. These pictures were taken moments after removal from the mold and no extra paint has been applied. The high gloss comes from proper mold preparation and having the right equipment to do the job. If you do not have access to spray equipment, a paintbrush could be used however more pre-painting work may have to be done....ask me how I know.

Name:	Xv64366.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1037384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39999.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1037385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87365.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1037386  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Finally decided on a paint color. After a trip to a local custom painter, I was shown a car that I had to drool over. The car wasn't important however the paint job on the car is what got my attention. A base coat color of orange, followed by a few layers of orange-copper candy. Finally topped off with a couple coats of gold ghost pearl. This recipe had to be made on one of my boats. Already had the orange basecoat, so that was applied.

The wet sanding you see is definately not necessary as when sprayed properly basecoat paint flattens out almost perfectly. Since I have to wait a few more days for the custom pearls and candys to arrive, I opted to lightly wetsand the orange basecoat with 400 grit to make sure everything was perfectly flat and ready to receive the kandy and pearl colors. Guess I get bored easily[sm=50_50.gif].

The idea of "color sanding" is to only knock off any higher areas of paint buildup, and not to sand down deep.

Pictured is some areas that have been wet-sanded, and others that are not.....see the difference! Lots more work now that will be worthwhile as the final paint is applied. Smooth as glass.

Name:	Zw69389.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1038968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53038.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1038969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59177.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1038970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67933.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1038971  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
hawaiianed

Scott-

How soon after applying the basecoat can you start sanding? BTW, the grill on the truck looks killer - must be a lot of polishing.

Ed
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Dreamin Hemi

I would wait a few hours at least. The basecoat dries very quickly so sanding could happen in even less time than that. I applied basecoat around noon today and started wetsanding after a lunch break at 1:30. Just a light sand is all it needs. Well, dosen't need it, but I want it to be absolutely perfect.

Thanks for the grill compliments. It's actually a stainless steel replacement grill and I've had it on there for 4 years never polished it. The tubes in the front are where I keep the 12-16 foot long surf fishing rods as I drive on the beach., they are aluminum however don't polish up very well.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: hawaiianed

Scott-

How soon after applying the basecoat can you start sanding? BTW, the grill on the truck looks killer - must be a lot of polishing.

Ed
Ed, was looking for a beach shot, but with a new computer, haven't swapped them over yet. Heres a better shot of the grill during a recent car show I was in....hope nobody minds the slightly off-topic post

Name:	Xv64905.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1039078  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
bentley marshall

thats one nice truck !!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
hawaiianed

......back on the topic, Thanks for sharing Scott - beautiful truck.

Ever thought of matching a paint job on your boat to that of your truck? The color scheme would look incredible.

Ed
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Oh geez, telling a mod to stay on topic...lol [X(]...but you're right.
Haven't thought of that color scheme. However I may consider matching the truck to the paint job I put on this boat! LOL
Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Dreamin Hemi

A few quick words...

Recently, my younger brother Tim age 30 passed away. Completely unexpected and without real cause. Has been extremely difficult lately for me and my family with this sudden tragedy such is the reason I haven't been too active lately.

Tim and I were as close as two brothers ever could be. He was always my shadow. It has been a week and things have settled down a bit and I am able to get back in the shop a little...it's theraputic for me and keeps my mind busy. That being said, is the reasons I'm posting so early since his untimely death. It seems to keep be sane. Love you bro!

As far as what I have been able to accomplish in my own theraputic garage is the second stage of this four stage paint job. Shown are the hatch that has been scuffed to accept the candy orange-copper layers. This is a semi-transparant layer that uses the orange to create a very wild looking orange. It is dark, but can't wait to see this shimmer under the sunlight. Really a great color. Next steps are to add some white stripes over the upper deck and cover the entire hull with a gold "ghost" pearl, followed by another clearcoat layer. The combination of shimmering orange-copper candy covered with gold ghost pearl should definately create a dazzling effect with this paint job. Can't wait untill this thing is finally finished as hardware should be here anyday.

These pictures are OK, but the flash really makes it look more sparklely and not as "pearley" as it really is. Some outside shots in the sunlight later should help.

ps. The quicker I can move on with life as normal, the better.

Name:	Om32444.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1043410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32919.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1043411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86161.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1043412   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44440.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1043413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93424.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1043414  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
mowerman88
My Feedback: (11)

sorry to hear that scott
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
JakeDW

I am sorry for your loss Scott.

Jake
Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
hawaiianed

Our prayers are with you and your family.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 AM
martno1fan

Sorry to hear about yer bro mate hang in there Scott it must be hard im very close to my younger brother too and no matter how old you get you allways feel that bond you had from been kids .Our prayers are with you and your familly mate .

As for the boat i love the colour how would it look over a silver base that candy orange.Im looking at doing one with candy red or orange over a silver sparkle base with clear over the lot.On the yellow one you did did you add any pearls to the paint itself or just in the clear.I was considering using some silver flake in some white gloss just to get a little shimer nothing too big would it work or not.This is for a white gloss paint that doesnt require clear as its allready in the mix so to speak.
Mart
Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Thank you all for your support, I need as much as I can get to help me through. Your PM's have been very much appreciated.

Silver is typically what candys are sprayed over, however on my boat, I wanted to do exactly what the custom painter did for that intense job I saw while in his shop. The combination of pearls, shimmering copper-orange and ghost pearls was definately something to see! Have the magic recipe from him and have been doing exactly what he told me to do. So far, looks great, the ghost pearl is going to be the bling-bling for this job.

Pearls are also only added into clearcoats in the first or first and second layer followed by additional coats of "pure" clearcoat to give it that effect pearls are known for.

Mart, I stopped using one-step paints years ago when I realized how much easier it was to get that perfect paint job using a 2 part basecoat/clearcoat system. For the little extra money it was definately worth stopping although a great job can be had of course! So as far as adding sparkle to a one step spray application I can't comment for sure as I would usually add that sparkle powder to the clearcoat OVER the color coats. I imagine you should be able to get a subtile effect, but some experimentation sounds like it's in order.

For the yellow boats I've done, the sparkle was added with the white pearl in the 1'st and 2'nd clearcoat layers. I mixed a heavy pearl to sort of "tone down" the brightness of the yellow neon. Two additional clean coats were then added on top.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:29 AM
martno1fan

Yea i will be using a base and clear for all my boats after the next cpl for sure,i just have 1 ltr of white to use up so i might as well use it,i will maybe try some silver flakes in there as an experimant and see what happens.Another paint finnish i like is the cameleon over a black base it looks amazing with the flip from green to red or any colour you like i supose.As you say the combinataions are amazing far too many to list ,just need to persuade the missus i need more paint lol .
Mart
ps have you tried the gloss 2k candy paints? ive seen some nice ones that dry glossy so you dont need to clear on top unless you wish.
[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1L-Tango-Orange-2K-Candy-Gloss-Custom-Car-Paint_W0QQitemZ260290808112QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3092 3QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126 2[/link]
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Here we go. Unfortunately once again I only have a flash to deal with that screws up the effect of the pearl. Here I just sprayed 2 coats of clearcoat mixed in with the ghost pearl. Went a little heavier than I wanted to with the pearl powders, but the effect is even more dramatic. Can't wait till tomorrows sun comes! Definately will take more pics then.

Name:	Rp42366.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1044624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87974.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1044625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33067.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1044626  
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Dreamin Hemi

A few more...again, sorry about the dark.

Name:	Qo39463.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1044645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87743.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1044646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38709.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1044647  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.