Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Gents

I am constructing an early nose wheel brake to compare with the brakes Ed Kazmirski did design for my MAN Taurus.

One of the most positive advantages of the later Kazmirski brakes on this Top Flite Taurus is the distance between the brake shoe/friction and the shaft of the wheel. Only one system has more distance, Les Fruh Crusader. With the shoe on the outside surface of the tire. (see the earlier post)

Second point is the Kazmirski system is mounted on the both main wheels.

Sometimes the Taurus does lift a main leg/wheel while turning after landing with some groundspeed and wind. This more times did happen on a short strip. I am afraid this problem I will see often when I have a nose wheel brake.
The weight of the plane is on the main wheels and my Taurus is about 4 kg (9lbs) so in a straight line I can stop the plane is a short distance. I think that’s not gonna happen with a nose wheel brake.

Picture 1 a principle drawing of my Taurus brakes with the modifications.

I use ONE nylon thread from one brake to the elevator servo to the other brake.

I do look for the right hole to use on the servo to have the right brake force and the thread goes on winding around the axle of the servo. Now the brake forces left and right always are the same.

I use a pulley on the place in the Top Flite Taurus the dowel of the TE of the wing is used.

I do use nylon thread with a diameter I chose to have the right flexibility. When flying it must be possible to give normal maximal down rudder, but also I want the brake effect I need.

The nylon I can clip on the brake levers after mounintg the wing. The space between the winding is a little bit less than the diameter of the nylon.

To protect the wheel tires I do use brake shoes with glass reinforced epoxy plate with a bended surface. Without these brake shoes the brakes did destroy the tires in a relative short time. See picture 2

The third picture of the inside of the fuselage, the pulley and the nylon thread.
Picture 4 the outside, the difference between in and out is the result af many changes, just like the contest planes of Ed Kazmirski.

More to come.

Cees

Edit: the brake I did tell about was from Ralph Brooke Crusader, not Les Fruh! Post 488.

The micro swith "touch down detection" automatic does switch over my cruise control to "manual trottle" when I make the selection for that on my transmitter. For touch and go I continue the selection "cruise control".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26491.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1218851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77725.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1218852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12059.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1218853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74444.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1218854  
Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Engines,

The K & B Greenhead is very interesting for me.
Never see that engine in the Netherlands but Ed did use this engine before the Veco and later Super Tigre.
We see the engine on the right side in the crate! The power sourge for the Oldest Taurus on Earth.

The K & B was his champion engine I know now!

In the other threads we did write about the Os Max engines. I do use one on my MAN Taurus, a OS Max 61 FX but also the MVVS.

With cruise control, I need the best engine and the most linear characteristic in trottle position and power output,
For that I need also the carburator fuel pressure- and tank pressure controller, so I have the best fuel air ratio on any power level.
The airspeed/cruise controller activates continue the trottle position, so also in any position of the plane.
Adjustment of the mixture I do mainly by data logging of the engine (head) temperature.

Never had a dead stick with my cruise control, not with the OS Max but also not with the MVVS, both very reliable engines.

When we want speed? Maybe for pylon?

Look at this picture, a Metkemeijer, Dutch engine (2002) control line, did beat the Nelsons?

Look at the frontside! The barn door to let the air and fuel mixture in.
We sometimes do have barndoors mounted on the wings, Metkemijer did use one to let max fuel air amount in the engine.

The secret of the Metkemeijer? We always speak about (0.60) cubic inches or (10) cubic centimeters.
Do use than also CUBIC AIR and not ROUND AIR!!!!!!
Metkemijer did know it all, a real Frankie.

Cees

Name:	Om33613.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1220002  
Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

This fun I do want to have in my own thread, my only problem is to stay “on topic”.

In the “early days” of model airplane flying we did not use mufflers and that kind of things.
We did fly nearly in the middle of now were with much noise.

We were enthusiastic and the only problem was light, was there still enough in the evening to see the plane.
I do remember the evenings my mate did fly with a Cox on his plane and in the low pass we could see that little fire burning in the cylinder of the engine.

I did make a photo animation:

Centre of gravity? No, centre of burnity!

Picture 1 the Webra of the Oldest Taurus on Earth (there he is :”On topic”) with powered glow plug to show the Centre of Burnity (CB)
Picture 2 an animation of the situation in the past, the plane in a low pass in the dark.

The light wasn’t as good visible as on the picture but we could see it clear and it was fast “moving”.

Cees

Name:	Ay74569.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1221040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38720.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1221041  
Old 06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Designing an airplane is as interesting as designing a bicycle.

Working with the wind gradient and searching for the best solution for that, we have also to look for the best brakes and ??
Indeed, two brakes on the nose wheel of my own design recumbent bicycle.

Even with more weight on the main (back) wheel it is saver to make the brakes on the nose wheel.
The ground pressure of the nose wheel is much more on the moment I use the brakes.

What will the Oldest Taurus on Earth do with that nose wheel brake? Also make a “nose over” as I can do, controlled, with my recumbent?
We will see in the future when I will test fly (or must I say test brake?) the Oldest Taurus on Earth.

Cees

Name:	Yw66643.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1225208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31273.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1225209  
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

It seems to be able to generate the ribs of the MAN Taurus from the Netherlands to England.

see the pistures.

More to come.

Cees

Name:	Xv64232.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1229315  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:33 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Designing an airplane is as interesting as designing a bicycle.

Working with the wind gradient and searching for the best solution for that, we have also to look for the best brakes and ??
Indeed, two brakes on the nose wheel of my own design recumbent bicycle.

Even with more weight on the main (back) wheel it is saver to make the brakes on the nose wheel.
The ground pressure of the nose wheel is much more on the moment I use the brakes.

What will the Oldest Taurus on Earth do with that nose wheel brake? Also make a “nose over” as I can do, controlled, with my recumbent?
We will see in the future when I will test fly (or must I say test brake?) the Oldest Taurus on Earth.

Cees

how do you get your taurus to the flying field with a bicycle? tow it? at least the taurus has brakes. [X(] i prefer to carry mine in something a little more roomy. see below.

Name:	Rp42984.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1229575  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Taurus Flyer

dhal22,

When you read this thread and see in the crate the Oldest Taurus on Earth, the plane probably did have a nosewheel brake.
The mainwheels didn't have brakes that was for sure.
That was the reason I did give the VRCS a message the Taurus they have wasn't the Taurus Ed did use during the Nats in 1962 as they say in the movy on Internet. This Taurus doesnot have any brake because it are the remains of two Taurusses.

Ed Kazmirski was the inventor of the brakes on the mainwheels and we only see these on the Top Flite Taurus Ed did use to promote.
The invention of these brakes is a little earlier than the Top Flite preproduction model, but later then the Oldest Taurus on Earth!

The dimensions of frontwheel brakes always are bigger than the brakes on the backside wheels, also with cars.
That's because they can be more effective and that's why we use the brakes on the front wheel on our recumbents.

I will try the nosewheelbrake again, just to see!
How do I go to the field?
During my early period on a bicycle and for me it is not problem to do it again.
This afternoon I again will go to a field nearby on mu recumbent, not taking with me a plane.

Cees
Old 07-04-2009, 09:02 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed Kazmirski was the inventor of the brakes on the mainwheels

I rather doubt that Cees. First shot from October 1961 MAN. Idea credited to John Roth, Citation designer and member of LIDS (Long Island Drone Society)

Second shot is Doug Spreng's 1960 Nats winning Stormer with main wheel brakes activated from down elevator trim.

Third shot shows them on Tom Brett's late 1961 Nimbus.

Space Control were also selling servo operated drum brakes in 1961, designed by Chuck Boyer.

Ray

Name:	Ki20694.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1229612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37281.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1229613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67842.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1229614  
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: RFJ

Ed Kazmirski was the inventor of the brakes on the mainwheels

I rather doubt that Cees. First shot from October 1961 MAN. Idea credited to John Roth, Citation designer and member of LIDS (Long Island Drone Society)

Second shot is Doug Spreng's 1960 Nats winning Stormer with main wheel brakes activated from down elevator trim.

Third shot shows them on Tom Brett's late 1961 Nimbus.

Space Control were also selling servo operated drum brakes in 1961, designed by Chuck Boyer.

Ray

Ray,
To “archive” I did “quote” your post.
You know I do not argue anymore because I have my Taurus construction and flying schedule with all the facts.
I only show you to learn the history again because it is all forgotten.

Cees

editictures

Name:	Nl30288.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1229686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27036.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1229687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78957.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1229688  
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you forget something you never knew in the first place.

I give up []

Ray
Old 07-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Taurus Flyer

dhal22,

I did not have enough time before I went to the airfield but,

ORIGINAL: dhal22

how do you get your taurus to the flying field with a bicycle? tow it? at least the taurus has brakes. [X(] i prefer to carry mine in something a little more roomy. see below.

about that car, picture 1, is that your own?

Try to sell it immediately because in Europe we can read this message with picture 2, and you know what that means:

Ford Motor Company, responding to customer demand for smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles, is accelerating its efforts to bring six small vehicles from Ford's respected European lineup to the North American market sooner than originally planned. To accomplish this, several of Ford's large assembly plants will be converted from truck and SUV production to build the new-to-America models.

When you wait too long you will not get a USD for it.

When making or buying new planes, already take care of the reduced dimensions in the future.
The Taurus you can fit in any European car, remember.
I think it is a great profit of RCU that I can warn you this way before others will hear that!

Cees

Name:	Sq46165.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1229751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37304.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1229752  
Old 07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Cees,

Apparently you misunderstand the American auto market as much as Chrysler, GM, and Obama.

Pickup trucks are, in the long run, more effective transportation than micro cars for many Americans. We have a reason to drive the vehicles we drive here, other than to make a fashion statement as so many Europeans do. We do not find our worth in the vehicles we drive. We plan for the future just as much as others, perhaps even more than the elitists now trying to run things.

Otherwise, Toyota and Honda would not have added pickups to their American product lines.

That said, there is also a very large market for smaller vehicles. My personal car is a 2001 Hyundai Accent (turned over 200K miles 2 weeks ago). Yesterday I went to the flying field and had 11 airplanes in it with spans ranging from about 2' to over several over 4' (E-Flite T-34). I'll see if I can find a picture from somebody who was there, as I didn't think to take any of it myself. While those aren't the 60-sized Pattern planes you can carry on your bike I will eventually have one in there. It has already carried a 7' C-130, a 7' Astro Hog, a 6' PT-19, and other large models.

Andy
Old 07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
AndyKunz

Cees,

Question: How can Ed have invented something (like you say) if others are already selling them? Are you saying that Tom Brett, Chuck Boyer, and Doug Spreng were copying Ed's prior work? What plane was Ed flying prior to these guys that he flew main wheel brakes on. Surely not an Orion - he would have lots points sticking his spinner in the ground. Are you now saying that he was flying a Taurus prior to the original plans of his Thanksgiving 1961 Taurus?

Andy
Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
dhal22

cees,
the only time i sell my massive diesel powered trucks is when i buy a new one. i use it for my business. these trucks, which number in the millions over here, are simply too big and expensive for europe. although they will last several hundred thousand miles and get 3/4ths gas mileage of your avg car we don't mind them being misunderstood. the room, the comfort, the power, the luxurious features far outweigh any concerns you mentioned. and if you make a mistake on your bicycle in front of my 5 ton truck, oh well... i can't say it was nice knowing you.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Taurus Flyer

dhal22

cees,
the only time i sell my massive diesel powered trucks is when i buy a new one. i use it for my business. these trucks, which number in the millions over here, are simply too big and expensive for europe. although they will last several hundred thousand miles and get 3/4ths gas mileage of your avg car we don't mind them being misunderstood. the room, the comfort, the power, the luxurious features far outweigh any concerns you mentioned. and if you make a mistake on your bicycle in front of my 5 ton truck, oh well... i can't say it was nice knowing you.
Do you remember:

just remember, the thread title says old time pattern pictures.
This thread is about the Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth, remember.
I am not interested only did want to warn you.

Cees

Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

My thread is based on the facts I know, all you read is learn and “again” if you ever did forget.
Because nobody was serious interested in the finishing of the project, making the crate picture again I did stop showing more proves and facts. Of course I have! But they are for the future.

To continue my project I show the study of some parts of the Taurus that are interesting for me, in this situation the brakes.
Yesterday I did visit an airfield near our city and probably I can fly the Top Flite Taurus over there on nice grass. A club of me from the past I will visit in the future to try the brakes on asphalt.

Both systems I will test with the Top Flite MAN Taurus, so the plane is the same only some more heavy.
My cruise control will help me, the airspeed will be kept constant by the airspeed controller and so is known during the landing and moment of touch. The automatic “switch off” of the engine on moment of touch down makes it possible to compare the length of the runway after touchdown.
For that, “idle” adjustment of the engine will be zero.

The Top Flite Taurus already does have the main wheel brakes so it is easy to change over to nose wheel, a second nose leg.
The Top Flite Taurus also does have already a mounting position for the video link in a centerline pylon if necessary.
There are some airfoil and rib activities and also the Top Flite / MAN Taurus I have to build up to fly.

More to come.

Cees

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 AM
dhal22

dhal22

cees,
Do you remember:

This thread is about the Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth, remember.

Cees

yes i remember very well. that was a hint to stop putting irrelevant information on other people's threads all over the website. the post here that i did was just a little example of what we all have to deal with.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Taurus Flyer

dhal22

cees,
Do you remember:

Cees

yes i remember very well. that was a hint to stop putting irrelevant information on other people's threads all over the website. the post here that i did was just a little example of what we all have to deal with.
dhall22,

I did read a lot of posts back to look if or what I did wrong in the past.
For that I did find this thread of yourself. I did think about the time I did spend to give you the best information I could

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7753171

Basicly you do not have any valuable experience yourself and have to ask nearly anything in the forums. Read about your questions about airplanes and engines.
In also did help you the best I can. My problem is the language is not my mother language so I make more "time consuming" pictures.
Now you are a BA builder it looks like a 0.40 plane and project doesn't need respect anymore.

I would like it if you do not post in this thread anymore.

Cees

Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Only to show, some pictures of the video preparations for the Top Flite MAN Taurus .
Picture 1 screw in the centreline of the wing to mount a "pylon" also to use the both bolts near the TE.
Picture 2 own design videotransmitter
Picture 3 testplane on the airfield, out of sight range

Cees

Name:	Vt58831.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1230194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17373.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1230195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88193.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1230196  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM
dhal22

I would like it if you do not post in this thread anymore.

Cees

[/quote]

i'm sure a lot of people would say the same to you. and a lot have.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
AndyKunz

Can you please answer post 513? It's Taurus-related

Andy
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Andy

Good point Andy.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Taurus Flyer

Andy

Cees,

Question: How can Ed have invented something (like you say) if others are already selling them? Are you saying that Tom Brett, Chuck Boyer, and Doug Spreng were copying Ed's prior work? What plane was Ed flying prior to these guys that he flew main wheel brakes on. Surely not an Orion - he would have lots points sticking his spinner in the ground. Are you now saying that he was flying a Taurus prior to the original plans of his Thanksgiving 1961 Taurus?

Andy
Andy,
You show me four questions.

I ask you first : Do you, in the USA know, Clément Ader and his Eole?

Search on internet and discover Wilbur and Orville Wright were not the only and also read FIRST inventors of aeroplanes and parts of these.

For that reason I tell you this, Taurus related:

Ed Kazmirski was the inventor of the brakes on the mainwheels and we only see these on the Top Flite Taurus Ed did use to promote.
The invention of these brakes is a little earlier than the Top Flite preproduction model, but later then the Oldest Taurus on Earth!

(NB We do not see them on the contest Taurusses, read this thread!)

This seems to be an short response but I was making another post.

Cees
Old 07-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

For who is interested.

The picture of my last post is from the video plane in which I did test the suspended camera mounting and vibration damping for the Taurus.
That is the reason of the flight, make much movements to see the result back, because I do this alone.
For that I did make this video clip direct recorded in the plane, so not by the HF link.
When you look to the clip you see in the corners the vibrations of the plane.

The music is later mounted in the clip by a member of the club.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/7PJVXNH285NMC1MW/received

About the music:
The name of the music number is “Lea” (1968), band, The Cats, Netherlands.
Lea a girl was a fan, just as many of us, from the band The Cats, in county I did live in the period.
She was killed in a car accident , hit by a truck, 21 years old.
She did travelling back home after a concert.
When I see the clip, I have to think about an Angel , homesick, frequently coming back.
Just to show a less nice part of history when I fly my planes and someone does me remember with a car accident.

Flying,
Plane, sort of (WIK) Jonni (1966?)
Starting the plane in the winter, cold.
First priming the fuel, than some hot water over the cylinder of the engine to evaporate the fuel, and after that connecting the glowplug and start.
BTW do not ask me to use a starter motor because it cost me more time to switch these on than start a glow plug engine!
I am the pilot, on wooden shoes, to keep my feet warm.
The engine has two controllers, fuelpressure and tank pressure.
The videotransmitter is pointing down near the ground not used in the clip.
The engine is a MVVS 7,5 CC
Covering silk and dope.
Special workhorse painting scheme.
Wingloading "more than high", there is a complete foto/video camera in the skybox, for this first experiment.
On the othre side of the fuselage the altitude and variometer are mounted.
In the picture of the other/last post most components are mounted in the top box, without HF transmitter, and the pitot tube on the wingtip.

Rendegade, if you ever read this post:
The engine is mounted under an angle to have the exhaust under the fuselage, for that, the carburator is a little bit below the centreline of the tank, the venthole in the tank on spraybar level, evangelista Torricelly, to prevent the engine leaks fuel!
The ATTITUDE is as horizontal as possible to reduce the AOA, this plane nearly cannot taxi without being a lawn mower.
I do this to prevent stall after take off or nose over after touch down and reducing of drag.
The wheels are prepared to use the plane on wet grass.

Cees

Name:	Mk24844.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1230458  
Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Andy, Ed and Les Fruh did produce a nosewheel brake, but whether they invented the idea, now that is something else. If you take a look at the other Taurus thread you will find a picture of Ed showing off the new brake and steeerable nosewheel to an interested spectator, on his trike Orion...You can check the date of the article, but it was the early '60's, '61?
Evan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.