Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How do you get paint to stick to foam

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

How do you get paint to stick to foam

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you get paint to stick to foam

I've tried a couple different paints. Anytime I try to tape off an area to apply a different color the tape (blue painters tape) nearly always pulls up a bunch of the paint it was stuck too.

So how do you paint more than one color on foam? Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How do you get paint to stick to foam

Depends on the type of foam but I usually use water based poly and coat the foam several times . Then scuff it up and apply a good primer  and let it dry for a few days. Then follow with color and  let it dry for several days before trying to tape off and apply another color.
I've used the "paint for plastics" paint with good results. Not great but good.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 PM
splais

The foam is Z-foam.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

If you don't do anything else you have to get the release agent off of the foam first before you paint it. Some of these planes the foam actually feels greasy or slippery. You need to get that stuff off first. Wipe it down with Naptha and then scuff it up lightly with sandpaper and then either use the poly or just go with the primer. Paint for plastics paint will not eat foam.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM
splais

So it looks like the secret to getting the paint to stick is three fold: get the plane really clean, scuff everything, and lastly let each coat try for at least a couple days.

So is that drying for a couple days one of the secrets to sticking? Think that has been part of my problem.
Seems like a good primer would help. Is there anything for foam like from Ultracoat or Monocoat paints? I'd really like to do this right.

I want to paint it black on the bottom with two big school bus yellow vertical strips and reverse the colors on the top.