Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Old Zagi 400X battery upgrade options? >

Old Zagi 400X battery upgrade options?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Old Zagi 400X battery upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Zagi 400X battery upgrade options?

Anyone know if i can upgrade my old Zagi 400X to use lithium batteries? Would I have to change anything on board? I'm not that familiar with electrics. This plane has been collecting dust and I want to try to give it a new life, it was great fun.

James
Old 03-07-2014, 05:42 PM

The issue with changing to Lipo is that 2s is 7.4v nominal, 3s is 11.1v nominal... if you had previously used 8-cells (~9.6v nominal) the stock Zagi Speed 400 motor will be lower powered on 2s, but 3s, even with reduced prop size, might well fry the motor. You might get away with it for a flight or two, but it seems false economy to being going out to buy a new Speed 400 every few flights! Your old ESC might not have an adjustable LVC, so you'd risk ruining Lipo by running them too low. The best you could get with a brushed 400 on 8-cells was ~100W...... a 2200Kv brushless on 3s lipo with say a 5x5 or 6x5 is something over 200W.

Brushless motors, well-suited to Lipo, are cheap enough, but you have to change to a brushless ESC as well. If you love your Zagi, a new motor and ESC is a small price to pay for lots of fun!

This is worth a read: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...91&postcount=4

and this: http://www.ajhobbies.net/product.asp?pid=2260

By changing the mount, you can use a 2212 outrunner.

Last edited by Dr Kiwi; 03-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM

Thank You! I'll keep doing some research. It might be a lot cheaper for me to just get a new nimh battery... Maybe if I go lipo i'll get a new type of plane. Do you know off hand if Zagi's are the best value now adays or is there a better flying wing?