Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Anyone building Komet 163

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 06:38 AM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone building Komet 163

Looking for advise building the Dymond foam Komet 163 featured in the July issue of RCM Magazine. My kit came with both German (that I cannot read) and English instructions. The English instructions describe features (slot for 2x2 mm wing spar) and parts (motor tube) that do not come with the kit.

Mr. Beshar, author of the RCM article held the fuse halves together with a tapered stem and a rubber band. The English instructions has a nylon screw going into the motor tube that doesn't exist. If any one has come up with an alternative method I would appreciate the information.

Any and all assembly advise for this model will be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:36 PM
lslewis

Default RE: Anyone building Komet 163

My Komet 163 is finished. Waiting for the battery then first flight! I built it almost like the instructions, if you have questions, ask. I will answer them here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52060.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	146628  
Old 06-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Aladar

I've got a question, I've only got one previous RC aircraft (A Ta-183 Huckebien), and am curious where I could order this aircraft? I looked on the internet but couldn't find anything.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:36 AM
lslewis

The "kit" is available from http://www.rc-dymond.com/
Caution! The kit is the bare minimum in content, while the model is easy to build I would not recommend it for a new builder.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Aladar

Why's that? Is it a hot plane?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
lslewis

If you have built models before, no problem, if your new, the kit contents and instructions are in my opinion inadequate.

About flying I don't know yet, mine crashed of it's first flight today. Easy repair, expert who flew it told me to cut the aileron throw in half.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Aladar

Another question, what kind of batteries does this aircraft use? Thats the only thing I can't figure out. :\ On a side note, how is the internal layout?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:45 AM
lslewis

Iam using a 8C/KAN650/DOUBLE STICK/16A/MJST $ 17.60 $ from http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com and I purchased the matching connector for the ESC a JST(BEC) Female RED $ 1.00

I installed the radio under the wing near mid fuse. I installed the ESC under the wing in front of the radio. I installed the battery on top for ease of replacement.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
lslewis

[&o] Flight testing has not gone well. "Expert" hand launcher launched. "Expert!" Komet flyer as pilot. Plane made a couple of indescribable acrobatic maneuvers and "landed." Flight analysis "cut control surface movement by 1/2!"
That was Tues. last.

Repairs were completed Wed.

Thursday new "Expert" Pilot was solicited. Hand launcher was replaced after throwing Komet into the earth rather than sky. Repairs were accomplished on site. Original "Expert" hand launcher launched. 'Expert" pilot reported lack of control. Panel of "Experts" reviewed the flight data, checked all on board systems and came to six conclusions (there were 6 on the panel). The battery was moved forward. Third attempt same as above. Pilot recommended I double the control surface movement.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Aladar

Sounds interesting. Although I'm planning some modifications to the aircraft that should elliviate the takeoff problem, IE a rocket motor, I will definately keep in mind all you've reported so far, and look forward to more data you can provide. Sounds like a pain almost. :\ It all depends on the size of the aircraft as to whether or not I can make my plans work.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Aladar

I thought now that I've had a chance to try and fly my Komet I thought I'd let ya know what happened. I hand launched it , and it went up, then into the dirt. The thing is too heavy, then, almost like it was punishing me for my lack of foresight, the prop bit me. Ripped a one inch long slice into my arm. That hurt.

What kind of batteries do you have in yours, and did you ever get any more success with yours?