Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

New lease of life for RC gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
greenhorn-uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lease of life for RC gear?

Hi,
I'd like to be able to give my existing RC gear a new lease of life in a foamie if possible.
Can anyone suggest any planes/flying wings that will accept it?

7 cell (sub C size) power pack - arranged with 2rows of 3 cells end to end + 1 across the base.
Jeti 350 ECO speed controller.
Futaba R136F receiver (approx 2"x1 1/4"x1/2").
Either standard or mini size servos.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-16-2004, 02:38 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: New lease of life for RC gear?

Well youll probobly end up chucking the battery out as theres not that many (if any?) foamies that will use a battery pack with sub-c cells, due to the weight of it. Most use cells like A, AA or AAA cells or their variants like 2/3A, 5/4 AAA etc.

Im not familiar with your particular speed controller but im guessing its a 35 amp brushed? As long as it doesnt weigh too much (under 1 ounce would be good) you can use it in just about any foamy.

You can probobly use your receiver in just about any foamy as well, as long as it doesn't weigh too much, but from the deminsions it looks like it probobly doesnt weigh more than 1/2 ounce or so, so youll be fine.

For your servos you probobly arent going to find any foamies that use standard sized servos, maybe a LARGE wing but thats about it, for the micro servos I dont know the specs but as long as they dont weigh too much (aorund 1/2 is all right) you can use them in a number of wings and maybe some larger foamies.

I think a wing is probobly for you, heres a few I know off hand.

http://www.superflyrc.com check out the nitro version it uses micro servos like you have.
http://hobbypeople.net/mfr/WNGWAR01.asp check out the slayer, and raider theyre both larger wings and can probobly use your servos.
http://www.trickrc.com/ The ever popular (and expensive) zagis.
http://www.edgerc.com/ Check out the devastator and overlord, they both use micro servos.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFJU1&P=0 The wattage hypering.
There are a number of others but I dont know them off hand so maybe somone else can list some more.

I dont really recomend the hyperwing, I have one and lets just say it has some design flaws. Mostly Its underpowered with the stock setup and the canopy design sucks, every time you crash your radio gear goes flying. Id look into a canopy-less model if I were you.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:02 PM
greenhorn-uk

Thanks for the reply & all the links.
You were right, the speed controller is a 35amp for brushed motors.

About wings, are any of them suitable for relatively relaxed/low speed flying or do they all need to be flown like a bat out of hell as they appear to be in most video clips?? My standard of flying isn't really up to that yet!!
Old 10-16-2004, 05:44 PM
jakjr

Well generally on video clips they have them running on full throttle and sometimes on brushless motors so you cant always go by how the fly on the clips.

You can fly any of them slow, just cut the throttle back. If your wanting one that flys slow even at full throttle then its a different story.

The superfly's are supposed to fly at slow to medium speeds, but you probobly wont be able to use much of your existing equipment on them as they are quite small and thus require quite small electronics.

You could try a hyperwing, it flys pretty slow (like I said its underpowered) but wont do the tricks like others will unless you completley change the power system which will also make it fly faster. About all youll be able to get out of the hyperwing is loops, inverted flight, and maybe rolls (I never tried rolls with mine).

The main problem with the hyperwing is the way the elctronics mount, if you wreck the canapoy flies off, usually along with the battery and speed controll.

Also, I just remebered anotehr wing, http://unicornwings.site.yahoo.net/ the 48" version is supposed to be good for begginers.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:59 AM
greenhorn-uk

Thanks,
I suppose I meant to say one that can be flown at relatively slow speeds without stalling rather than can be only flown at slow speeds.
This would hopefully make lining up for & landing a bit more relaxed. I've no problem with a fast wing so long as it can be throttled back & still be controllable. My current plane is quite a heavy electric glider (3lb) & it seems to come in fairly quickly. If I try to slow it up it can tip stall.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:09 PM
jakjr

Most (if not all?) of the wings can glide very good therefore for landings you can just about cut the throttle off completely and glide in.

If you get the hyperwing I suggest you throw out the stoick canopy and make one like I did. The stock canopy is very fragile and doesnt protect anything, plus it creates a lot of drag, the one I made is low drag as instead of most of the airflow going over or around it the air goes through it, thus better cooling the motor/battery and lowering the overall drag.

I also did away with the hand launch fairng among other things, I did away with the hand launch fairing for 3 reasons, 1 it creates excess drag, adds unneeded weight, and its not even needed. I also took off the covering and did a zagi xs type scheme, I did this for 2 reasons, 1 less weight, and 2 the stock covering rips easy and then starts peeling up. I also took off the vinyl tape on the leading edge, its not needed if you fly over grass and it just adds weight.

After removing all that my wing now flies much better than it did stock. Right now its set up as a glider becasue I broke the prop and never got around to getting a new one.

On windy days I go in my backyard and throw it up as hard as I can into the wind, it goes up, the wind catches it and flips around so that the wind is behind it. Once that happens it glides very good, you can even catch an updraft if you fly above the fence.