Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

making holes true epp foam riding me crasy!!!! help

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

making holes true epp foam riding me crasy!!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 01:53 PM
leblanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making holes true epp foam riding me crasy!!!! help

I have a cobra epp and for the rudder and elevator servos I have to make holes that go true the fuse. The problem is everytime I try putting the push rod true all the foam goes back with it and recks the model!!!

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
geoffbeneze

Default RE: making holes true epp foam riding me crasy!!!! help

>I have a cobra epp and for the rudder and elevator servos I have to make holes that go true the fuse. The problem is >everytime I try putting the push rod true all the foam goes back with it and recks the model!!!

>Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Take a piece of brass tubing the diameter of the hole you want to cut. Chuck it in your drill (gently) then with a small file, turn the drill and file a bevel on the INSIDE diameter of the tube. You can also take a small triangle file and cut some "teeth" around the end of the tubing (just small notches will do).

This effectively drills through the foam with almost not effort with nice straight cuts. You may have to make several passes, stopping to remove the tube from the drill and push out the foam "plug" it creates as you go.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
hakko1872003

or else just a get a screwdriver and just heat it with a flame and press it through the foam.

Hakko...
Old 03-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Yep a heated screw driver or piece of tubing works great. I've even just used my soldering iron before, but you have to be careful you don't over do it. That stuff melts away pretty quickly.

Wiz
Old 03-25-2005, 10:36 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

The sharpened brass tubing works the best. It cuts a nice clean hole. I've made a whole set of them all the way up to about 3/4" in diameter. If you epoxy a wood block or handle on the other end of the brass tubing, you can make a nice set of "punches" that will work well. Bear in mind that these also work GREAT for punching holes through balsa ribs for running pushrods inside the wing...including retract pushrods. You can also punch holes in the ribs to make them lighter, without losing much structural integrity.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:53 AM
sno

Not holes! Slit it (the outside of the fuse) with a knife and glue the push rod plastic housing in the slit!