Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

3D Foamy Raven Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I & C Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Foamy Raven Build Thread

Well I'm glad it lasted long enough for you to share the information that you did. In all seriousness, it has been an enourmous help.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 PM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

Here is my 3dfoamy raven. MY absolute favorite blue fan fold plane and I can't wait to maiden it tomorrow. Here's the specs:

Pro wing
Hacker 20-20L
apc sf 10-4.7
falcon 1600 3 cell
4 hitec 55's
fma M5 reciever
cc 25

Weight, 14.5 oz's with battery ready to go! Very stiff wing. I built this with medium foam safe ca, hot glue and painted it with createx regular airbrush paint from Michaels. With any luck I'll have video of it tomorrow evening!

Craig
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84164.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	249085  
Old 03-26-2005, 04:23 AM
8KCABrett
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks I&C, thats appreciated. . . of course I'd still like to be flying my Raven! [:-]

I am getting set up to get another 3DF plane. . . I had to buy a new ESC as the motor mount failure ripped the wires off the board, and I have ordered a AXI stick moutn from top creations rc which should keep things attatched.

I picked up the mount from here: http://www.topcreationsrc.com/catalo...unts/index.htm

Have fun psk! I am sure you will! I can't wait to get another flying!!
Old 03-26-2005, 08:12 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry about the Raven...she was one of the prettiest planes I'd seen.....

I read your posts (darn if I didn't do the EXACT same thing with my tail feathers... even after reading yours![:@])

Just curious if you ever weighed her for an AUW??

I never saw it
Old 03-26-2005, 08:13 AM
I & C Tech

Did it damage the board when the wires pulled out?
Old 03-26-2005, 03:35 PM
8KCABrett

The board looked OK, there looked to be a fracture on one of the capacitors on the board (prop strike?!?!), and two of the wires were pulled. I don't really want to risk it to re-use this one so I am going to send it in I guess, depending on the cost.

I never did weigh mine. . . but I am sure it was on the heavy end of the spectrum. I did use Apogee 830 3 cell packs though, these probably shaved a bit of weight off, and I had comfortable 15 minute flights with them. If flew great though, no need for power, perhaps if it where lighter it would KE at slower speeds, rock a little less in the harriers (though it was fine).

Old 03-27-2005, 10:10 AM
psk560

NO vids yet. 1st flight was awesome! The Hacker 20-20L is amazing with the apc sf 10-4.7. I was pumped. Landed, plugged in the battery to charge, put the second battery on it and headed back for the skies. I was torque rolling around the sky and having a blast when all of a sudden my tail became disconnected from the fuse. LOL. Foamie collisions can be just as heart breaking as balsa and ply collsions. LOL. My wounded bird landed pretty soft with the dental floss still holding the tail on pulling the nose up just when it mattered. Within an hour of practicing IMAC and talking with the buds at the field I had her back in the air. (Not as pretty as before though)

Craig
Old 03-27-2005, 02:41 PM
8KCABrett

On an project that I am working on our team has picked up an A20-20L, static tests with an APC 10x5 have it generating over 34 ounces of thrust on an Apogee 1570 3cell lipo, the thrust drops off as if the pack cant sustain that current draw down to just under 30 oz. With a bigger pack this Hacker is a monster of a little outrunner! I bet it would be great fun on a foamy! It does seem that the ideal battery is a pretty big one though, bigger than *I* would want to use I think. . . I guess soon we will have 20C 830 and 1050 packs. . . that will solve that!

Old 03-27-2005, 04:03 PM
psk560

THe falcon battery 1600 does well with this pack and it's only a tad bit heavier than the 1320 tp cells that I've been using. Much better performance out of this pack over the 1320's but both work well when throttle managment is used.

Craig
Old 03-27-2005, 09:10 PM
8KCABrett

Roger that Craig, I failed to mention that our A20 is not going on a 3D aircraft, it will be at or near wide open throttle for the suration of the flight, so for us we need a high discharge out of a pack. In a 3D aircraft the burst discharge is probably fine to give over two pounds of thrust on a 1500 or larger pack for longer than you will need it in a 3D application.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:02 PM
8KCABrett

I rebuilt my Raven using a stick mount from Top Creations RC http://www.topcreationsrc.com/catalo...unts/index.htm

It's a bit ugly now with the forward half of the fuse patched up and a bit heavier than it needs to be, but at long last I have weighed it and it tips the scales at just 12.9 oz ready to fly with an Apogee 830 3 cell onboard and all the other dressings, landing gear, 2 inch wheels, wheel pants, and of course a few damage repairs from the exploded nose. (I also left the carbon rods in the fuse sides instead of trying to remove them from the rather damaged foam.)