Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

PZ Decath to the GWS P-51

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 PM
twhitemore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PZ Decath to the GWS P-51

Hi all,
Im new to RC planes, so in the winter I purchased the GP G-2 to work on the basics...mainly directional orientation. Having a private pilots license seems to help in HOW the plane works, so no problem there....

I bought a PZ Decathlon, and have found it to be kinda touchy. I assume the low freq controller doesnt help...or the dang twitching that ppl have been writing about...

The controls are not as responsive as the larger, glow counterparts appear to be....

If I purchase a GWS P-51, would I find the stability of the plane a tad easier to fly using a "real" controller of the FM freqs?? Ailerons will help too...

I just downloaded a great 5 mg video of a P-51 flying at a park. (The one where the guy takes off towards passing vehicles before turning back into the park!)

Anyway, any thoughts on the P-51 as a second plane, please share.

Thank you...
Tom W.

See you at the field!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Mountain_Flyer

Default RE: PZ Decath to the GWS P-51

thats a pretty large jump going from the PZ Decathlon to a GWS P51 .. going from a under powered over weight high wing right to one of the more "twitchy" low wing planes out there is a crash waiting to happen if your wanting a good aileron plane i would recommend a Magpie or a SmoothE from Mountain Models http://www.mountainmodels.com/ there preformance is way above that of the PZ decathlon but "much" more forgiving then the P51 there not as pretty as the P51 but there easier to get use to ailerons with than a low wing warbird. save the low wing scale models for the third or forth plane.

PX
Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 PM
jonathanl

I would have to agree. The GWS P51 is not an easy plane to fly as it comes stock. I bought one as my second plane because I loved the look... and crashed before I ever got it trimmed. I went with a park-zone stryker next, and that thing is great. Much more power and much more stable, but way fun. I have since put my p51 back together (with epoxy) and put in a brushless moter and li-po power. Part of the problem with the stock p-51 is that it is under-powered and thus it is real easy to stall and crash. With the upgraded power plant, I still had some trouble getting it trimmed, but now that it is trimmed it is a great flyer.
If you do get the p-51 I would upgrade the power right from the start. I would also move the CG as far forward as possible. Lastly, get an experience pilot to maiden and trim the plane.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:29 PM
NoMoreCrashPlease
My Feedback: (-1)

I think that your gear will work on the GWS P-51!.......I'm currently using the gear of a ParkZone J-3 cub, on a GWS Slow Stick and It flyes just like my 72mhz radio(exept that I don't get any twitches in the air with the PZ equipment!)............. then I'm ganna pass it to a GWS formosa!......About the Decathlon ESC/RX. Many people complain about it being twitchy and sometimes making it hard to trim the servos right![:@]

I say go with the mustang, although I would buy a J-3 ESC/Rx from Horizonhobby.com so you won't have any problems in the air Other than that, I would probably go with 2 cell lithiums to keep the weight down!

Have fun

Nom'r.......