Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fun with Flat Foam

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Fun with Flat Foam

lol ya, why only one aileron? Looks pretty good though!

What is the wing span, AUW?

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
3DSAVAGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to keep it light. this is an aerobat, and besides, it flies like it has 2 ailerons anyway. i just got back from flyin it, IT IS AWESOME!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
jumper666

3DSAVAGE, good enough. Glad it worked well for you.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3DSAVAGE

to keep it light. this is an aerobat, and besides, it flies like it has 2 ailerons anyway. i just got back from flyin it, IT IS AWESOME!!!
How'd you balance the plane with a servo hanging way out on a wing? Also what motor, battery did you use, and what is the wing span/chord/AUW of it?

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
sputnikxxx

Hey guys... wanted to share my latest build with you,

I got the idea from a site I found... about a wing called the zagnuts...

It has a 48 inch wing span.... is equipped with a eflite 400 outrunner...

should be a blast to fly.. I have yet to weigh it, or check the cg... but I didn't use plans or anything I just started tracing lines till I got a shape I liked....

has 3 cf spars on it.. it is super stiff... and still pretty light.. It done very well with glide test so I think the cg is right on it..

I won't know how it does till tomorrow when I take it out to test it.. ..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49132.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	895894  
Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 PM
3DSAVAGE

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

ORIGINAL: 3DSAVAGE

How'd you balance the plane with a servo hanging way out on a wing? Also what motor, battery did you use, and what is the wing span/chord/AUW of it?

Ryan
man, i didn't think my plane would be so popular dont know how much it weighs. the wing is 30 by 5 inches. i used a rimfire from an old flatana and i'm usin a 1200 mAh electrifly li po. i love it, but it lands kinda fast, so i just catch it![sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
theradioflyer

Hey guys, the wind was low yesterday so I went to the local park and let R' rip! It had been so long sense I have been able to cut loose and not freeze to death I had to duck twice and I bumped my antenna with the plane while hovering. I also knocked the ground two times, and each I just punched it to get out. The second time didn't work so well and I ripped the counter balance and a small portion of the elevator off. Absolutely a blast with $10 worth of Depron foam, and it proved to me how a sim can keep you sharp.

Question: The hit on the counter balance was bad but it ripped right off. Is fan fold a more forgiving product to use? Will it tear and snap as easily as Depron?

Thanks Guys,

Jay
Old 03-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Pecanpatch

fan fold IMHO is more bendy.
also it tends to sort of crush and deform rather than snap like a potato chip (like Depron)
I have continued to fly some pretty dang beat-up planes made with FFF. Just hit the sub-trims and drive on......
We have also grafted on new noses, new wingtips....... whatever needs replacing....
there are those who will tell you , ah , just build a new one..... it's just as fast. NOT!
My brother and I have both grafted new noses on the flipper plane in an hour.
It might be a smidgen heavier but we dont care.

Note: I designed my Flipper to re-enforce that elevator counter-tab with a small bamboo skewer. (a least a little ways)
Good luck[8D]

Name:	Ca81051.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	897550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66351.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	897551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66690.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	897552  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:34 PM
j.m.

That design doesn't look too super strong. It seems as if it would break right in half if had a frontal collision. Pretty good idea though.

Is it stable in a hover? It looks like you'd really have to work to keep it straight.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Pecanpatch

The Flipper is absolutely the best airplane I have ever flown.
Its stable in the hover but that is about it.
Very Very aerobatic airplanes are not supposed to be real stable (especially jets)
This plane may look weak but you cant see the carbon fiber in these pics.

We've smushed the nose beyond belief........ but never knocked the motor loose or hardly broke a prop.
You have to be a very good rudder pilot to fly this plane...... the ailerons are just for rolling really.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 PM
theradioflyer

Where are you guys getting your FFF. Like you said about depron, it snaps off really easy, it would be nice to beat it up just a bit more

Thanks and God Bless!

Jay
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Pecanpatch

I get the single sided blue stuff at Loews
Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 PM
j.m.

You can find all sorts of stuff at Lowes.

They have EPS foam in 1/2" thick sheets, and this pink stuff that is just a tad stiffer than blucor, sold in 1/2'', 3/4'' and 1'' all perfect for hot wire cutting wings, and or shaping slightly bulgy fuselages. (I.E. sanding)

Pecan Pie,

I bet that plane reacts nicely to rudder and elevator changes, because you eliminated the arm between the motor and the cg. It also looks really noisy with the prop so close to the foam. (not a bad thing though)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
jumper666

REVERT: post #133 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682098
post #137 for maiden's results

Name:	Jg13985.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	900463  
Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 PM
tclaridge

I am excited about my new flat foam UDF. It was my first go at a scratch WWII airbrush job. Decals are from a Parkzone Fw-190, and panel lines were added using a Top-Flite template. It sure looks mean!! Now to see if it can fly!?!

Name:	Om33185.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	900518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49518.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	900519  
Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Pecanpatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWDRz2Q3DVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZ1v_PBtAQ

Some flipper action......... the rudder is amazing!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
jumper666

tclaridge, YES, let us know how maiden goes.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
theradioflyer

ORIGINAL: tclaridge

I am excited about my new flat foam UDF. It was my first go at a scratch WWII airbrush job. Decals are from a Parkzone Fw-190, and panel lines were added using a Top-Flite template. It sure looks mean!! Now to see if it can fly!?!

Neat Plane and great job! Good luck on your maiden!

Mark, that flipper is an awesome design[8D]

God Bless!

Jay
Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: j.m.

You can find all sorts of stuff at Lowes.

They have EPS foam in 1/2" thick sheets, and this pink stuff that is just a tad stiffer than blucor, sold in 1/2'', 3/4'' and 1'' all perfect for hot wire cutting wings, and or shaping slightly bulgy fuselages. (I.E. sanding)

Pecan Pie,

I bet that plane reacts nicely to rudder and elevator changes, because you eliminated the arm between the motor and the cg. It also looks really noisy with the prop so close to the foam. (not a bad thing though)
hum, last time I was at Home Depot, all they had was EPS[>:], should try other places since I am kinda runnin lets say a little LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on depron, got a plane under construction, lol, hope to get it done soon, but then again, in true idiot style, I got a wayyy to big lipo for anything BUT a ss
Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 AM
j.m.

i went to home depot yesterday, and they had Pink "blucor" it was made out of the pink foam instead of blue, and i hear that the pink foam is a little stiffer than the other types. They sold if in the "fan fold" packages and in large sheets 3/4" thick. I got one of the big sheets because i'm working on a home biult slope glider project, and i wanted the wings to be hot wire cut.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
cubnpede82

A symmetrical wing is an "airfoil" it just produces the same drop in pressure on both top and bottom, so "lift" is then made by speed and angle of attack. AIRFOIL: An airplane surface (as a wing or rudder) that is designed to produce reaction from the air. (taken from Merriam-Webster) An AIRFOIL is simply that, a shape that "foils" LOL the air as it moves, to create a reaction from such movement.
A flat plane like a common tailsurface, is in fact an airfoil. An under camber is an airfoil, as is a flat bottom wing, and any such plane that travels through the air. Heck, your hand out the window of the car at 65MPH is an airfoil. Granted, many MFG's call their tailsurfaces "airfoils" to make the plane sound better, I have seen this in the case of a plane with solid, flat, tail surfaces, just that the leading edge had been rounded. Some shapes of airfoils are more suited to certain types of flight, thick flat bottom, lots of lift, bad for speed. thin sleek semi-semetrical, good for aerobatics, and speed, and range, That's how the P-51 could go all the way to Berlin, and back.

just my $.02, but what can you buy for that now days?
Laters all,
Isaiah [email protected] ( drop me a line)
Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
j.m.

Why? i believe that discussion was already over. And this is the wrong forum, but whatever, you probably wont make another post here again.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
cubnpede82

J.M.
was that meant for me? Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't been on the DIY Foamie threads for a while, but I do follow this and any other thread I can find.
N-E-Ways, I am making progress on my WWI biplane look alike. It's kinda an SE5a, I am using Elmers board as it was easy to get here, and it's my first project. I recently spent a whole Saturday at the field with a guy who pretty much only flies home made depron 3D planes and he turned me onto rcfoam.com, has anyone used them to get foam?
Please suggest any other good sources of flat foam and CF bits.

Thanks all for a great bit of info.

Isaiah
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Atzanik

ORIGINAL: cubnpede82

J.M.
was that meant for me? Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't been on the DIY Foamie threads for a while, but I do follow this and any other thread I can find.
N-E-Ways, I am making progress on my WWI biplane look alike. It's kinda an SE5a, I am using Elmers board as it was easy to get here, and it's my first project. I recently spent a whole Saturday at the field with a guy who pretty much only flies home made depron 3D planes and he turned me onto rcfoam.com, has anyone used them to get foam?
Please suggest any other good sources of flat foam and CF bits.

Thanks all for a great bit of info.

Isaiah
Hi Isaiah,

I've used rcfoam.com once (order #19135)... and will look for alternatives next time I have to order. I only ordered in stock product, and it took them over a month to actually ship the order, and only after a few emails asking wth was going on. However I will say that it was packaged well, and the product was in excellent shape when it arrived.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 PM
j.m.

Go to your local Home depot or Lowes, and they WILL have foam that you can use. It will be either blue or pink, and it is usually referred to as "fan fold foam". It comes in 50' lengths for about $25. I think the sheets are 3 or 4 feet wide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.