Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How do you remove servos mounted with a hot glue gun from a foamie??

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

How do you remove servos mounted with a hot glue gun from a foamie??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 PM
AZTWINS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove servos mounted with a hot glue gun from a foamie??

I mounted my servoes to my foamie using a hot glue gun. Without ripping the foam apart, how does one remove servos installed this way?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: How do you remove servos mounted with a hot glue gun from a foamie??

I did not use hot glue, I used foam glue, but the hot glue should be easier to remove. I just very gently slid an exacto blade through it on all sides. Some foam came up, but you minimize the damage.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Gary Hoorn

Default RE: How do you remove servos mounted with a hot glue gun from a foamie??

I only glued servos in a plane one time. What a hassle getting them out! Was a bad move IMO. I now take some 1/32 plywood and make a small servo mount just the width of the servo mounting lugs and CA it to the foam. Adds almost no weight and makes maintenance much easier. Use the small self-tapping screws that come with the servos to mount the servos.
Gary
Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
av8torjim

I would use a heat gun/hair dryer to heat up the glue. Most of it melts at a pretty low temperature. Be careful not to heat up the foam too much. Maybe you can place aluminum foil around the servo to wick away the heat. Use an X-Acto blade to try to loosen the glue a little once it's soft. I wrap my servos in cellophane tape before I glue them in. That way I can cut the tape and get the glue off of the servos without any problem. Good luck.

Jim
Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
RickAvery

You can also heat up the xacto blade and use that to melt the glue around the sides of the servo. Good luck.
Rick
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
ntjp2005

I use hot glue to mount my servos. I put packing tape around the servo first. This is to keep the glue from sticking to the servo. When I want to remove a servo I just pull on one side of the servo at a 45 degree angle to the servo. The servos have always pulled free without pulling the foam. I have never had a problem. Sometimes it takes a bit of force and the servos just pops free all at once. I then remove the tape and re-tape to mount the servo again. I use low temp glue, might make a difference if you used high temp glue.