Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Protecting Foam Wings

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:32 AM
nasrr73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting Foam Wings

Could polyurethane be used as a coating to protect leading edges of foam wings. Specifically, Elapor.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
WhtBronco

Default RE: Protecting Foam Wings

I don't know if you could poly for protection. You could use some carbon fiber secured with epoxy though. It would also stiffen the wings a lot. Tape also works fairly well.

Best thing of course is not to hit anything with the plane. Easier said than done at times.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Fliprob17

The poly. may melt or eat the foam. I would stick to carbon fiber flat stock or rods for support, and strapping tape (with the threads in it) and packing tape. I taped up my entire foam plane with 2" clear packing tape and is is much more durable now. Plus it keeps the foam clean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46957.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	523903  
Old 09-14-2006, 03:15 PM
patnchris

Water based poly is of for foam, but it won't give you much protection. Poly and 1/2 fiberglass cloth will give you some protection, but sure would look tacky............Pat
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
soarhead-RCU

I got another hint for you. I have used Future floor wax or Mop and Glow floor wax on both depron and blue fan fold foam for the last 4yrs or so. It kind of fills in the pores of the foam and if you use the flat finish craft paints it brightens up the colors and gives them a satin type of finish It is water soluable so it has never harmed any type of foam that I have used. It also protects from some hanger rash also and doesnt add any weight as faras I can tell.. Dirt and dust wipe away eaier than on bare foam. I apply it straight from the bottle with a small foam brush used only for the stuff. Dont try to clean the brush and use it to paint as you cant get it all out and when you try to use craft paint it kind of curdles into a gunky mess for some reason. Think about it if you can walk on a vinyl floor with this stuff it must be a pretty hard finish.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 09-17-2006, 09:00 PM
m.prayad

hi
i"m technic don"t used carbon fiber i"m used opp tape coat this plans.it strong and don"t broken
all my planes&all my technics http://www.a-prayad.com/

prayad from thailand.