Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Zagi XS battery concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:13 PM
McGragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi XS battery concerns

First of all let me just say that I am an absolute beginner. This is my very first plane. I had a pro fly the plane for me and a freshly charged battery did not seem to have enough power. We replaced the battery with his 12v Lipo battery and were able to get it off the ground and flying. After about 10 minutes the motor burnt out on me. The kit comes with a KAN 1800mah NIMH 8 Cell Battery and the charger is a PF-12 Park Flyer AC/DC Peak Charger. The charger has a 90 minute shutoff. No matter how long I am charging, using anything between 250 to 1800, I never seem to see the peak charge lite come on. So my questions are... What am I doing wrong when charging my batteries? Shouldn't the stock batteries have plenty of power? Why would my motor have burnt out with the Lipo, is it because the motor is 6v, if so, what volts are my current batteries? What kind of light weight Lipo, or any battery for that matter, should I replace the stock ones with and do I need a different ESC?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Zagi XS battery concerns

if the charger shuts off after 90 minutes (timer) then the battery is never getting a full charge...
yes, 3 cell lipo's will burn out the stock motor quickly.. they just can't handle the voltage for long periods

I converted mine to brushless.
I use a mega 1615/4 motor with 2100mAh 3cell lipos... and it moves along quite nicely
Old 10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

except that brushless setup would be too much for a beginner. on the charger, is there a way to delay the timer? like crank it back up for another 30 min? you would have to monitor the battery to tell if its peaked. learned that when i was a kid racing rc cars. if you can, pick up a good charger. then you could be sure it will get charged, and monitor the mah going into and out of the pack.

the motor is 6v, you would need some of the higher 12v motors for it to handle a 3cell lipo. not sure how easy that would be. but a 6v on 8 cells, peaked, should fly most wings in the 35-40mph on a 5x5 or 6x3 or 4 prop. that would be best to learn on. for added stability and sacrifice some speed, place the tiplets below the tips by about 1/4- 3/8 or so of an inch. helps in slow speed manouvering.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Talon713

I would go ahead with the brushless upgrade and have more power. Doesn't mean you have to use it all--WOT--all the time but it is nice to have. I'd go with a Mega 1615-3T and a 25 amp CC esc. You'll be real pleased with the performance with lipos, and you can still run your stock packs that came with your XS. ( The stock packs are 9.6v)

Welcome to the wild world of wings!!

CB
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 PM
tekajo

You need to find a cheap peak charger and replace your stock motor. Learn to fly, then go from there.