Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Newest twin boom foamy design

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newest twin boom foamy design

Here's a few pictures of my latest scratch build from blue fan-fold faom. Its a twin boom design like the last one, only a little larger (see my gallery). I'm trying an inverted V-tail for kicks. It has a 40 inch wingspan. I'm using a TowerPro 2408 brushless to start with a GWS 9x5 prop. The booms are made from 5/16 dia. carbon fiber arrow shafts the local archery shops saves for me from broken arrows he gets. It will have 4 ch control with a V-tail mixer built into the Futaba 8S radio.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81310.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	852357   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44371.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	852358  
Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Stick40

Default RE: Newest twin boom foamy design

Looks nice, hows it fly?

Stick 40
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 PM
wings 540

Ya, what he said^^^ what size motor are you useing? do you have any pdf plans?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM
jmupilot

No plans yet its still in the building stage. I'll wait and see how it flys then maybe work on the plans, The little one uses E-Max CF2812 1530Kv brushless on 11.1v Li-Po at 16oz. This one is using a TowerPro 2410-12 1084 Kv brushless. It pulled my 75%Northstar prety good and it weighed 34oz. RTF. This one is at 15 oz with out the servos and Rx and linkages.

Pete
Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Flyin C

Just had to say, Very cool !
Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Bigdog399

Whats with the reverse V tail. It doesn't seem like it would give you any advantage over a standard V tail or a
T tail. Is it just for looks.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
jmupilot

Just for looks but it would be hard to do a V-tail with twin booms the other way. I'll mix it the same as a convetional V-tail. Hey isnt that what these foamys are for to experiment and have fun? Shouldnt be any different flying. The novelty of it is worth the learning curves.

Pete
Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Bigdog399

Foam is fun to mess around with. I love making planes with EPS foam from lowes. But you are losing a little bit of control from the v-tail being out of the propeller wash. It really shouldn't effect how it works too much though. Let me know how it flies.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:08 PM
3DSAVAGE

i looked at that plane and thought to myself, I should make one like that, so i drew up a small drawing of what it would look like, and i cut out the parts yesterday, and i am building it right now. thanks for the inspiration! i was out of ideas...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
coolbean

I noticed you have a straight wing with an inverted v-tail and as of yet have no ailerons..... I hope that works out for you, but I would highly suggest adding ailerons or adding dihedral or polyhedral to your wings. I'm afraid you may find your bird just yawing flat instead of turning. Or worse yet, rolling inversely to rudder input.

Good looking build though.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 AM
jmupilot

Oh it will have ailerons, the pics are of the model when first hatched. I have another earlier smaller version that has a different style tail (see gallery pics) with ailerons, elevator and no rudder. It is a great fllyer but is sloppy in the turns at veryslow speeds. I have lots of differential aileron, but still dont like the way it wallows in a turn at slow speed. This one is a little larger and I wanted rudder so I did the inverted V-tail thingy. Its the only option for twin boom designs. I'm not sure how the spad type folded foam wing will perform, but it is very light. Only weighs 18 oz. as seen in the pics that's with the battery,servos Rx, all installed. I only have to cover and install the moving surfaces. I'll post the finished pics in a couple days its still on the design/building board.

Pete
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
jmupilot

Dang I had forgotten I had started this post. I've flown the twin boomer now for about 15 flights and its flys great. Not a bad flying quirk in any of the flights. Slow flight is great. and with the larger wing its not a speed demon but moves along very nicely. The Inverted V-tail works just like a convetional tail, rudders have good athourity and the elevators make loops with little effort. Ill try to get a club member to grab some in flight vids/photos as its kinda hard to fly and take pics at the same time.

Pete