Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

New foamy advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
pooka2hot4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New foamy advice

HI, I'm new to this RC thing and looking to try out RC aircraft. Thought a foamy would be a good place to start.
I'm looking for some advice on a good RTF plane. I want it to be around the $40 range.

Also, it seems that alot of these planes don't have working elevators and ailerons. How do you control them?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
jumper666

Default RE: New foamy advice

Finding an acft for around $40 that you would want after you have it will be a CHALLENGE. A controllable acft (not free flight) will have at least a controllable elevator + rudder or elevator + aileron.

If you can step to 3X$40, you might want to consider:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1003
Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Fisher

Get a Mini XPV from Walmart or TRU. They are under $40, provide good flight time on each charge, are two channel, fly well and are indestructible. If you get one that does not fly well out of the box return it for another. If you want something more than a 2 channel plane you will need to spend more $.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Swift427

If you get one that does not fly well out of the box return it for another.
When first opening package do a bench test to see that both motors/props free spin the same length of time before coming to a rest after throttling down? If one stops noticeable sooner than the other exchange it for another. Also, check for same change in sound pitch when activating a left turn and a right turn.

Apply a light coat of 3-1 oil on each motor's shaft bearing as its spinning during your bench test.

Be sure to immediately remove any fine dried weed strings that may get wrapped around the motor's shaft from landing in brush, weeds, grass, etc.

Also, available at ToysRUs for $30.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 AM
pooka2hot4u

Thanks alot for the help you guys.
I'm really trying to decide whether to get a plane or heli. I really don't have much room indoors or out to fly, and its very inconvenient for me to go to flying fields.
I like the ease to customize a plane. Just take a block of foam, and as long as your idea atleast sort of resembles a plane, it will probably fly.
But I guess the extra things you can do with a hely, and being able to fly them almost anywhere will really allow me to enjoy this hobby.

Decisions decisions
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
playntraffic

Try the Airhogs line of airplanes and helicopters. That sounds like what you are looking for. They are around $40 at Toys R Us and similiar. They are easy and fun to fly. Just enough to help you decide if you wish to invest more.

If you want to spend more than the Parkzone Etomic line is nice. The Hobbyzone Super Cub is a good beginner airplane that is RTF. I never had any luck with the Aerobird and Firebird. I enjoyed the GWS line of airplanes and learned to fly with on a Slowstick.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
donandmax
My Feedback: (2)

Remember this name. "Red Crowned Crane" This is a piece of Chinese crap I bought from an outfit called "Wowsers" If you do buy it be prepared for instructions that are so bad (unless you speak chinese) you don't know where your at or can't understand what their trying to get across. Missing parts like aileron pushrod, no extension harness for the batt. and no way of matching that connector. Glue (water glue) as they call it that takes forever to dry just like the stuff in the old days. Foam fuselage that looks like it just came out of the press with pox like markings all over it, same with wings. Don't ever take this where RC folks are flying unless you want to get laughed off the field or lake.(since it comes with pontoons) A receiver that is so cheap and crappy they dont even enclose and it just hangs off the inside of the fuselage by some crummy tape. I've been in the rc hobby for 50 yrs and have never seen anything as sorry as this, I'm afraid to fly it because of doing harm to something or somebody. You certainly can't display it . The transmitter's rudder and throttle is on the right. (just opposite of other radios) Price 179.00 plus s/h And now that its put together can't return it. Man there's some crap out there !! The battery to receiver plug apparently is wrong and I just burned up the rcvr. and servos. whole thing is now in the trash and I'm out 200.00. My wife says NO MORE !!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM
sjuapseorn

IMHO
Check out the RTF deals online.. more expensive, faster results ^_^

I have this plane. also flies in baseball field or similarly sized park easily
[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bellanca.htm]Bellanca 480 rtf[/link]

If you can find someone who knows how to fly to help you set it up and get the basics down
I really believe 100% that anyone can fly with this plane..
has a realistic tx, my only fault in it is that it is 27mhz..

here's 2 bits of advice that seems pretty good also..
#1 HAVE FUN!!!
#2 If you're not ready to throw it in the trash someday, dont put it in the air
Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
joshua2

If your willing to spend some more money, i'd also go with the hobbyzone super cub. If you do get it, remember one thing: NEVER have ACT on near a large hill. I learned this the hard way.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
rcdogfighter13

i had the air hogs nanahawk but then my mom stepped on it lol.
its an indoor plane and was only like 15 dollars to fly.
i coulkd fly it in the living room and i flew it in my front yard.