Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer... Fly Off Water, Grass, or Snow

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer... Fly Off Water, Grass, or Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Galloping Ghost
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer... Fly Off Water, Grass, or Snow

Model Aero is very excited to bring you the Polaris seaplane parkflyer! This model, conceived by noted designer Steve Shumate (jetset44 on RC Groups), is a parkflyer adaptation of Laddie Mikulasko's beautiful North Star seaplane. It features simple sheet foam construction and excellent handling qualities, both in the air and on the water. In flight, this model is smooth, majestic, and stable, yet also very aerobatic.

The Polaris tracks straight as an arrow and takes off and lands effortlessly on water, grass, or even snow! But one of the best things about this model is the amazing speed range—with the recommended power setup the top speed approaches 70 mph, yet the model slows down well and can plop down into the water at high alpha under full control at less than 10 mph. This allows the model to be flown in very tight spaces if desired, or if you have a bigger flying site you can open it up and enjoy the speed. It handles wind and waves remarkably well, too. Touch and goes off water or grass are effortless, and will put a smile on your face every time!

The low wing loading makes the Polaris very docile, and it can be flown by anyone with some parkjet or sport flying experience. The construction is straightforward and anyone with some foamy or balsa building experience will enjoy putting this together in a few evenings.

The kit includes all laser cut 6 mm Depron foam, carbon fiber spars, pushrods and control horns, motor mount, and detailed construction guide on CD.

Whether on water or grass, the Polaris will be one of the most rewarding projects you'll ever have in your hanger!

Steve has even posted free plans [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465]Here[/link]

Scott DeTray

www.ModelAero.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76544.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1076378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52601.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1076379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39762.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1076380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65081.jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1076381  
Old 11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Fisher

Default RE: Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer... Fly Off Water, Grass, or Snow

This is a great looking hydro foam. I will be putting it on my build list. Will someone post video of this thing flying off of snow and grass. The video Steve made of it over saltwater is great. Looking forward to hearing some flight reports on it too. Or better yet a review.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465
Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Galloping Ghost

ORIGINAL: Fisher

This is a great looking hydro foam. I will be putting it on my build list. Will someone post video of this thing flying off of snow and grass. The video Steve made of it over saltwater is great. Looking forward to hearing some flight reports on it too. Or better yet a review.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465
There is a ton of info on the Polaris in the thread you linked to, along with a video of our first production kit flying off grass on post # 298.

Also, there's a review in the works on RCG. I can assure you this is one of the best flying Depron foam planes I have ever flown. I have done most of my flying off grass, and the Polaris adds a new dimension for foam planes because you can take off, land, and do touch and goes with no need for hand launching! Plus the speed range is impressive; it flies great at low speeds, but will approach 70 mph when equipped with the recommended power. Unlimited vertical? No problem!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
netjunky

im building my polaris seaplane now but have a question

they say to use 3m gift across the elevator and ailerons and rudder, but have notices that when i do this on the elevator it only alows or movement up and the tape holds it from moving down. i tried gapping it further and it seems the same the pictures on the guide show it tight against each other.

what am i doing wrong?

should it be over and under tape hinge ?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Galloping Ghost

ORIGINAL: netjunky

im building my polaris seaplane now but have a question

they say to use 3m gift across the elevator and ailerons and rudder, but have notices that when i do this on the elevator it only alows or movement up and the tape holds it from moving down. i tried gapping it further and it seems the same the pictures on the guide show it tight against each other.

what am i doing wrong?

should it be over and under tape hinge ?
You need to cut a bevel on the control surfaces to allow them to move each way.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com