Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Easy Star brushless .... stop twisting

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Easy Star brushless .... stop twisting

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM
SuburbanSoarer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Star brushless .... stop twisting

Hi. I recently installed a high power brushless in-runner(3900Kv) in my EasyStar Foamy. First I tried double sided tape... worked great for 5 minutes or so until the motor heated up and semi-melted the tape... motor spun. Same with the duct tape. So, finally I glued it in with some CA. I also added a little foam shim to tighten up the fit. It seemed bomber, but I had my doubts... It heated up and popped just as I suspected. Now I'm headed to the hobby store to pick some type of in-runner motor mount. I figure I can just mount it to the outside of the stock motor mount? Any suggestions.

P.S. I know its over powered, hence the over-heating motor. I'm thinking about raising the motor to spin a bigger prop also. Should help keep the revs down. Any positive feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Easy Star brushless .... stop twisting

Yep, it is overpowered.. You know that...Can you put a 2 cell LIPO in instead of the 3 cell that you might be using? That would bring her down. rich
Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
skinnerfam95

Check out the mount on the wing dragon brushless (pictures at the bottom)... The original wing dragon came with a brushless, pusher motor that was contained in the fuse... may be an idea of how to modify the easy glider.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wing-dragon-hl.htm
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 PM
SuburbanSoarer

Thanks for the replies. It turns out I fried that motor so now I need to get a new one. I guess a 6x5.5 was too big of a prop for direct drive? Or too small maybe? Don't have a watt meter... yet. What do you folks recommend? I have a Castle Thunderbird 54 speed controller and a 3 cell 20c 2500mah battery? I liked the performance of the Ammo 28-35-3900kv motor. It climbed vertical out of sight! The new motor does not have to be so overpowered however... I was thinking about the Ammo 28-35-2700 or the HiMax 2815-3000kx. Basically, I would like to run a 6x4APC and get excessive climbing power.

As for my original post... The excessive heat caused the tape to soften and hence the motor twisting in it hole. I ended up using a combat wing motor mount (stainless) mounted to a 1" tall block of basswood glued to where the old motor pod was. (I cut it off) It works well and looks clean.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: SuburbanSoarer

Thanks for the replies. It turns out I fried that motor so now I need to get a new one. I guess a 6x5.5 was too big of a prop for direct drive? Or too small maybe? Don't have a watt meter... yet. What do you folks recommend? I have a Castle Thunderbird 54 speed controller and a 3 cell 20c 2500mah battery? I liked the performance of the Ammo 28-35-3900kv motor. It climbed vertical out of sight! The new motor does not have to be so overpowered however... I was thinking about the Ammo 28-35-2700 or the HiMax 2815-3000kx. Basically, I would like to run a 6x4APC and get excessive climbing power.

As for my original post... The excessive heat caused the tape to soften and hence the motor twisting in it hole. I ended up using a combat wing motor mount (stainless) mounted to a 1" tall block of basswood glued to where the old motor pod was. (I cut it off) It works well and looks clean.

3900Kv or 3700Kv is ridiculously high for direct drive on 3s - even a 4.1x4.1 is going to draw over 50A! Your 6x5.5 was such a load on the motor it probably couldn't spin it effectively - you put a LOT of power in, but got only a small percentage of it out (enough to make your plane a rocket ship, but hopelessly inefficient!) - hence the heat. That 28-35-3900 is rated for 22A/244W (and that, like all Ammo/Rimfire motors, is probably optimistic)!

There is no way an Ammo 28-35-2700 (15A max!) nor a Himaxx 2815-3000 will survive a 6x4. The Himaxx chart shows that the motor's 30A max is exceeded with a 6x4 at only 7.5v! On 3s you'd need to be using a 5x4.5 or smaller prop.

Before buying another motor - please buy a Wattmeter!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
SuburbanSoarer

Thanks. I will get a watt meter today. As far as the new motor goes... I have been looking at the Medusa 28-32-2800kv with a 4.75x4.75 or 5x4 prop. Or the 28-32-2400kv. The 2400kv would allow more prop options (according to Medusa's "motor calculator"). The guy at the Hobby store suggested a Hi-Max 3000kv, but I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I guess I learned the hard way. Apparently, I should have done more research before going brushless. I trusted the guy at the hobby store's advice, bought everything he suggested (everything he supposedly did to his EasyStar).... and learned the hard way! Ouch.

Again, thanks for your continued advice.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
SuburbanSoarer

I ended up ordering a Medusa 28-40-2500. According to Medusa's motor calculator it should spin a 6x4 nicely. I also ordered the Medusa Power Analyzer. I think I finally got everything under control. It sure sucks learning the hard way. Thanks for the input.