Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Beaver Jet foamy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beaver Jet foamy!!!!

Alright, so quite awhile ago I came up with the idea to build asporty/fast airplane to house my unused Suppo 2212-6 motor. I figured that with 2200kV it should be enough to fly something at decent speeds, not off the charts but fun, right?

Well, that was about a month ago. Following a big battery issue I finally finished off what I christened the Beaver Jet after a nickname on another site, www.badiusownersclub.com/forum2. It flew pretty well but was plagued by balance issues that eventually killed it. The official death occured today (well, I guess yesterday now) after I totalled it twice in one day, the second proving entirely fatal.

That was just the prototype, though. I have WAY more than enough of this pink 3/4" foam on hand to build more, and I finished the new version, Beaver2, earlier today. I'll have pics of the maiden tomorrow as well as pics of the original. It's a great flyer that deserves to be tried and improved upon by others, so I'm sharing it here.

The first setup:
3/4" pink insulation foam wing/fuse
5mm foamboard stabs and elevons
1500kV outrunner drawing about 25-28A
1300mAh 3S 25C lipo
25A ESC, running at its limit
About 350W/lb, which ain't half bad for something like this.

I was getting maybe 60mph level with a 7x7 prop and a crosswind, and I probably could have gotten a little faster but I didn't want to cook my ESC. i'll have a new one hopefully soon and I'll really push it then and see what it can do. I'm thinking it'll top out at about 70mph max, so definitely not fast but certainly not slow

Pics tomorrow!