Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Computer/posting help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Mitek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer/posting help

I'm pretty sure this isn't a new idea, but I haven't found any forum that adresses this
Moderator, If this is in a wrong spot, Sorry, please feel free to move this.
Now I know that all of us are not computer geniuses, and I know some of RCU members would need some technology help. I also know that some of the best and most experienced flyers grew up in the times where there were no computers, and now I know it is very hard to change. So if you have any questions about computer use to enhance your experience on RCU pr any problems that you may have about you're computer not let you thoroughly enjoy RCU (These things we call computers do try to humiliate us as often as they can) please post it here, and If you possess computer knowledge, please answer the questions. This forum is not meant to replace the RCU support forums, it is just meant to enhance them by giving computer knowledge to those that do not possess it. Now that my speech is over, Let the questions begin!
Old 12-31-2003, 07:35 AM
aimmaintenance

Default RE: Computer/posting help

Ya I gotta question.
How can ya make RCU "auto refresh"?
Me being on a dialup connection means I need to save internet pages to speed up my surfing but here on RCU I spend alot of time hitting the refresh button to make sure I'm seeing the latest posts etc. Is there a way to make just this site automatically show the latest pages etc.?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:14 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to pick on your thread here but this is exactly what "Learjet" is talking about. This thread has nothing to do with R/C and should be closed according to the rules but it remains open. Thing is this is a perfect example in support of a "Lounge Forum." This guy has a problem with his computer and one of us may have an answer. I may have a problem with a camera or vidieo thing which i may use to take pictures of planes and such and these guys may have answers. We are full of information which can be indirectly related to R/C and i feel RCU should support that.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would tend to disagree with Cyclic Hardover. I know that computer questions aren't directly RC related, but they are asking for help in viewing RCU. I think that should be answered here. Since the leadership of RCU has taken this to the point that they are trying to make money off of it (i.e. make a profit) they are going to want to be able to have as many people on here as possible. With that in mind there needs to be someplace where people can get some help in RCU related problems. If these people can't get help they will probably get frustrated with RCU, frustrated means they don't come to RCU anymore, not coming to RCU anymore means no viewers for ads on RCU, no viewers for ads means advertisers go elsewhere to advertise, which means no money for RCU. Pretty simple if you are in business.

IMHO if RCU isn't going to help people with computer/RCU related topics I would feel that the leadership of RCU doesn't care about us viewers.

I know firsthand that people get very frustrated when computers are concerned. My wife and I own a computer/networking shop and we see first hand how frustrated/mad people can get when their PC's aren't working properly.

Ok, I'll climb down off of my soapbox now.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:53 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

I am moving this to Forum Questions or Problems. If you have a specific question it would be better to start a new thread so the administrators will be more likely to see it. Many topics are covered in the FAQ forum. Here is a link to the FAQ. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/RCUn...umid_73/tt.htm

Eric
Old 12-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Mitek

If you have a specific question it would be better to start a new thread so the administrators will be more likely to see it. Many topics are covered in the FAQ forum
I understand, but this thread addresses specific problems that may be related to a user having a problem with a specific computer, internet connection or hardware, and I think having the opinions of people who may have solved these specific problems would greatly help them. Or in other words, this thread may help users with non-RCU Website problems. One example I have seen on one of the forums that I was participating in was that a user didn't know how to save pictures from the internet (Sorry Steve)Am I making any sense? I'm sorry but I love to ramble on
Thanks for moving my forum. I knew it wasn't in the right place.
Ya I gotta question.
How can ya make RCU "auto refresh"?
Me being on a dialup connection means I need to save internet pages to speed up my surfing but here on RCU I spend alot of time hitting the refresh button to make sure I'm seeing the latest posts etc. Is there a way to make just this site automatically show the latest pages etc.?
Well one option is that if you're subscribed to forums, I believe there is an option in the opening forum to see subscribed forums with new posts. Also you can get an email that says someone posted on a forum you're participating on. Also, there is a button called New Posts in the toolbar that shows new posts, but that is from the whole RCU. I hope this answers your question.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Mitek

I have a question for you guys
I have internet explorer 5.50, and when I press postwhen I'm posting, sometimes it tells me that an error has occures and then asks me if I want to send an error report, and then closes the browser down, but makes the post. Anybody have this problem?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Mitek

Default RE: <span class=

Yoo-hoo
is anybody home?
Where d'yall go?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:23 PM
mvigod
Banned

mitek,

I have on occasion seen that error. make sure your posting preference is set to inline posting and NOT popup posting style. also upgrade to IE 6.0 for better compatibility and more speed.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Mitek

Thanks
I think its the IE. I think I need to upgrade it.
Here's a question for ya
Sometimes I see that in the quote window, thsres a "originally from" line, with the member name there. Is that done amnually or somehow automatically?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:33 PM
mvigod
Banned

to quote another user you can click the quote link under their post or if you hit reply there is a quote button you can click after the fact which is right above the posting window. You must click the reply button though on the actual users post you want to quote if using the quote button. The fastest way is to just click "quote" which you will see right below my post here to the bottom right.