Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Subscription notification error

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Subscription notification error

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Subscription notification error

Just a minor nuisance, but every time I receive an email notification of a reply to the "Build Your Own PBF" thread in the Fun Fly forum, the subject of the notification email never refers to title of the "Build Your Own PBF" thread. The latest reply to the "Build Your Own PBF" generated a notification that said, "RE: RE: Congratulations on your test flights!"

Again, this is a minor nuisance, but it would be nice to have it working again.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:10 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Subscription notification error

Dave,

check to see if the new posts have that subject in the subject line in the post. with every post you can change the subject with the reply. see the reply box below where you can change the subject.

if a user does this the new reply title will show on the notify. to get it back somebody must reply to the original post or reply with the original title (or type in manually).

marc
Old 02-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Dave McDonald

Marc,
I understand what you're saying about the subject line in the reply to a thread. But every other thread that I'm subscribed to generates an email reply notification that refers to the title of the main thread itsef, regardless of whether or not the subject line within the thread matches the thread title.

What makes the the "Build Your Own PBF" thread unique is that it's the only thread I'm subscribed to that seems to generate a reply notification that refers to the subject line of the reply instead of the main title of the thread.

This problem isn't new. I first noticed it after the newly overhauled RCU format came online. I've never mentioned it before because it was, and still is a minor nuisance.

I was just curious as to why the reply-to-thread notifications are different for some reason on the "Build Your Own PBF" thread.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:58 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default RE: did this thread have a different message in the notify?

I just changed the title on this one to see if it tosses you an email with the new subject I put in. I think it should
Old 02-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Dave McDonald

Default RE: You were right.......I was wrong.

Ok Marc, you win!

Yes, the reply notification email I received about this thread now refers to your subject heading, "RE: did this thread have a different message in the notify?"

Has it always worked this way? Even in the early days of RCU?
If so, then I sincerely apologize for wasting your time on this matter!
Old 02-15-2004, 09:11 PM
mvigod
Banned

the early days I think put the original thread title in the header. this one doesn't assume the original thread title since it is notifying you of a new post which the poster may have amended the title (which as you see some do which changes the notice).

I don't know which way is preferable but maybe the original only would be less confusing?
Old 03-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

I don't know which way is preferable but maybe the original only would be less confusing?

It is more likley a personal prefrence, but perhaps you could give the user an option.

(I'm really not trying to you a headache....)
Old 03-11-2004, 04:24 PM
mvigod
Banned

I think the original title is preferable. I'm looking into the code in 5 minutes to see how ugly this is.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Dave McDonald

Personally, I would prefer the original title method.

Marc, no matter what you decide to do, thanks for giving us RCU!