Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Moving Threads Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving Threads Again

Why even have "The ClubHouse" when one of several Moderators takes it upon himself to move it. Do you consult each other at all or simply decide it does not belong and lets move it into the closet. IMHO when this is done, just close the thread since it is now no longer of any value. Its a real shame.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:24 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Moving Threads Again

get a rope...[>:]

dave
Old 03-29-2004, 03:27 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Huh? What threads?

I think they moved them cause I can't find em
Old 03-29-2004, 03:28 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We follow rules and make judgement calls in the best interest of the members and the site. Sometimes the moderators consult with dozens of moderators on a decision and if the item in question is very clear then they typically will just move it as needed.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:35 PM
GT-Power
My Feedback: (3)

i have a question about this. We have a topic going on about MIP CVD's with a design flaw. I made a post in the Rc car general forums cause this affects everyone since all of them have a problem. I linked it and he said linking isnt allowed? i am trying to help and not doing anything really wrong so why is it such a big problem?[&:]
Old 04-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Cross posting or multi-forum posting is not allowed on RCU. If we did allow it conversations would start in different forums about the same subject and RCU would be very difficult to find information. This way everything has a place and we can work to ensure it's in the proper forum.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Marc, this is really starting to tick me off, and it seems to be increasing in the last few weeks. It sure seems to me that thread moves are a lot more arbitrary and unilateral than you make it sound. I'm constantly seeing "I think this belongs in the widget forum, so I'm moving it" messages on threads, which don't really make any case for the move at all. I hear you on the need to maintain RCU as a reference, but let's be realistic - no one is going to look for information by manually wading through thread topics; they'll use the search tool (which has it's own problems, but that's another topic). Too often, I've seen the beginnings of a good thread that end with a "I'm moving this thread message".

I realize that all this is all personal judgement, and that the moderators are doing the best they can. But I also ask you to consider that if the thread is not completely, ridiculously off topic, that the original poster might also have had good reason to place it in the forum he did. We all develop a comfort and familiarity with certain forums, and tend to post everything there, because we know the others will benefit from and/or help with the information and questions presented there.

Topics commonly fit in multiple categories (i.e. one could easily be ARF, Warbird, Giant, and Scale at the same time), and the "main" topic is generally in the eye of the beholder. I would ask that you institute a move policy of restraint; unless there's a really good reason for moving a thread, trust the original poster's judgement and please leave them alone.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:14 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably as guilty as any moderator for moving threads that appear to be posted in the wrong forum. This is done to make it easier for members to find information on topics that interest them.

Lets look at this example. A thread about brand X servos is posted in the ARF forum. The question is not about a specific application in an ARF, but a general question about the servos. A few days later another member has a question about brand X servos. Instead of posting his question he decides to use the search function to see if the question has already been answered. If he searches all of RCU for threads about brand X servos, he will get a hit for every thread in which brand X servos are mentioned. Posts like, "I just finished assembling my Sig SE, it has an OS 46FX and brand X servos and weighs 4.5lbs." He will have to look through all of these casual mentions of brand X servos to find the information he wants.

On the other hand if threads about servos are posted in the Radios - Receivers - Servos forum then the search can be limited to only that forum, eliminating the casual mention of brand X servos in threads about other topics.

Some times it might make more sense to post a servo question in a forum other than Radios. A question about what servo to use in a jet might be a better fit in the Jets forum. I think all the moderators give some latitude with these type posts.

When I move a thread, if there have been any replies, I always leave a link in the forum where it was originally posted so it is easy for those participating in the thread to find it. When threads are moved it is not done to hide them, or as a public flogging of the original poster, but to keep RCU organized so information is easy to find.

Eric