Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Advertisements at the page breaks??

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Advertisements at the page breaks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:17 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advertisements at the page breaks??

When I go to look at "New Posts Since Last Visit" I get an advertisement between the last post I read and the new post??

New Feature??
Old 04-20-2004, 11:51 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advertisements at the page breaks??

Yes...new feature programmed by me last night. I realized that every view of a new post bypassed the top ad completely but didn't have time to address it for MANY months until last night. Thanks for noticing! I think you are the first!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:18 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Nope, I noticed it too...

I think Chuck is the first to comment on it...
Old 04-20-2004, 12:26 PM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Yes...new feature programmed by me last night. I realized that every view of a new post bypassed the top ad completely but didn't have time to address it for MANY months until last night. Thanks for noticing! I think you are the first!
Yippee
Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably won't be long before there is an ad inserted in every individual post. Oops, I probably just planted a seed...
Old 04-20-2004, 01:14 PM
ChuckAuger

I just quit using the down arrow. Now I open the whole page and scroll down. Works for me...just not as handy as before.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:40 PM
rc247

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Probably won't be long before there is an ad inserted in every individual post. Oops, I probably just planted a seed...
Nah... I'm waiting for them to add streaming audio ads that play commercials over your speakers the entire time you are on the site.

Oops... there's another seed.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

I realized that every view of a new post bypassed the top ad completely
arrrrr what a shame
i like flicking back a few posts to see what was writen and i'm getting this useless crud in my way.[:'(]

it's hardly a handy improvement[&o] whats the point in that, looks like an advert every other post to me
Old 04-20-2004, 02:40 PM
mvigod
Banned

There is not an ad every other post. Only one above the "new post". This eliminates the issue of bypassing the banner at the top of the page.

Now for some good ideas. Dymamic html or animation on every page load with an ad. Popup ads. Audio ads. Inset video that downloads and play on each page. Advertisements in everyones signatures. Advertisements in the notify emails for new posts. Tower (i.e. super tall skyscraper) ads on the right side of the page. Animated flash ads. Removing everyones avatar and replacing it with a small block ad. Changing smilies to mini logos of companies. Full length commercials in the videos within our magazine reviews. Another ad in the header of the site at the very top instead of the pretty collage. Timed popup ads to show even when your not surfing RCU (since we can't get enough right?). Oh yeah, and the cake topper would be us allowing non-rc related advertising for all of this!

Sorry..just having some fun here but it does show you how much uncharted advertising territory has been left untapped. Don't worry it is unlikely we will ever do any of the above. For those who don't like ads (according to our last poll about 15%-20% we are playing with the idea that if you upgrade to either our platinum or power you could disable ads altogether. No decision has been made yet on this option though as we don't know what the demand is or if it is worth the programming expense/time.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Cactus.

This eliminates the issue of bypassing the banner at the top of the page.
ok fun back what was the issue???

talking of things in emails, i've noticed some of my mails i'm getitng have ***SPAM*** in the message title, at first it was spam, now it's poped up in mails from family, and even Tescos!! can't find any proof it's my end, so watch out for the "new" annoyance[:@]
Old 04-20-2004, 03:29 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: phillybaby

This eliminates the issue of bypassing the banner at the top of the page.
ok fun back what was the issue???

talking of things in emails, i've noticed some of my mails i'm getitng have ***SPAM*** in the message title, at first it was spam, now it's poped up in mails from family, and even Tescos!! can't find any proof it's my end, so watch out for the "new" annoyance[:@]

Old 04-20-2004, 03:38 PM
mvigod
Banned

hey check out the homepage. we just put up a universal search function for the site! top right of the page.

also coming are 6-7 color "themes" that you can choose to change site colors with!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Trombe

this aint cool
Old 04-21-2004, 08:26 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ChuckAuger

Yippee

Yippee???

This seems like an attempt to get those annoying adds back in the middle of the page, that everyone hated so much a few months ago.

I hated it then, and I hate it now.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:38 AM
rc247

Now for some good ideas. ..... Audio ads .................
See! Marc listens!! There's my idea right there! The only thing he missed was my suggestion a couple of months back of scrolling ads to the left of the bottom menu (PM, GALLERY, SEARCH, ETC) of each post... could probably do that with some fancy javascript.

Bill
Old 04-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Cactus.

ok, heres the problem with the add break!!!!

for some reason i got two updates to a thread today, dunno why doesn't matter, anyway i clicked the latest one read my new replies, went through the other threads i have and got to my first one, think might as well click it again as i didn't remember that person answering when i just read it, AH HA!!! thats because these replies were above that stupid add break so i missed them.

stupid idea unless your an advertiser, case closed, Elvis have left the building, thank you very much, ur hur hur..
Old 04-21-2004, 12:24 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

There's.. like.. three or four threads on this subject! this one, one is the club house, and one in the 'suggestions' forum. Bound to be another one in another forum!

Whanna combine them all?! Merge them all into one big happy thread?!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:41 PM
rc247

It just doesnt make sense to me...

For those people that click on a thread topic... they definitely see the top banner ad, but they may not see the bottom banner ad if they lose interest while reading the thread...

Those that click the Latest post, would probably see the bottom banner ad, but may not see the top banner ad unless they scroll up.

So now.. we're throwing an ad in the middle in case they didn't see the top ad. What about those that didn't see the bottom ad, are we going to put that ad in the middle too? How about those that went directly to a message in the middle of the thread via a link? They might not see either message if they don't scroll up or down? Are you going to insert an ad before and after that 1 message?

Just seems a bit ridiculous to me.. but then again I'm not running the forums or paying the bill.s

Bill
Old 04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dr_wogz

There's.. like.. three or four threads on this subject! this one, one is the club house, and one in the 'suggestions' forum. Bound to be another one in another forum!

Whanna combine them all?! Merge them all into one big happy thread?!

I started the one in the clubhouse, since everyone usually looks there. But, alas, it has been moved over to this forum where far fewer people will ever see it.[]
Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Mike in DC

Sorry..just having some fun here but it does show you how much uncharted advertising territory has been left untapped.
This reminds me of my visit some years ago to Hong Kong. Folks in the U.S. are always complaining about ads, whether it's in forums or on billboards or on the side of city buses. They should go to Hong Kong. I swear, every inch of space that could have an ad, did. The straps in the subway that you use if you don't get a seat have ads on them!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 PM
lord lucan

Gents ..
Just got wind of the upcoming Phase two of this " Corporate management executive policy, process refinement ..." Every 5 minutes all posts on all threads are going to "dissapear " for exactly 1 minute, while we are treated to some " messages from our sponsors"......this is the begining of the end.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Cactus.

MARC, i warned you about the SPAM thing... one of us has something!!!

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mwinf3102.me.freeserve.com (mwinf3102.me.freeserve.com)
by mwinb3106 (SMTP Server) with LMTP; Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:13:59 +0200
X-Sieve: Server Sieve 2.2
Received: by mwinf3102.me.freeserve.com (SMTP Server, from userid 1003)
id A4E70180014D; Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:13:59 +0200 (CEST)
Received: from smtp.rcuniverse.com (smtp.rcuniverse.com [69.20.56.18])
by mwinf3102.me.freeserve.com (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 7E4EA1800148
for <[email protected]>; Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:13:58 +0200 (CEST)
Received: from [192.168.1.22] by smtp.rcuniverse.com [192.168.1.20] with SmartMax MailMax for [email protected]; Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:13:56 -0400
X-SmartMax-AuthUser:
Content-type: text/html
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:57:57 -0400
Subject: *** SPAM *** New RCU ReviewsTo: [email protected]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Envelope-to: [email protected]
X-me-spamlevel: med
X-me-spamrating: 96.905440
Old 04-23-2004, 02:53 AM
mvigod
Banned

your spam filter is tagging our review email because it has html in it which raises the score on some filter algorithms. set rcuniverse.com as trusted to avoid this if possible.

one poster above confused this with our full page ads on launch. this is not a full page ad. Just an ad at the top of the page. Common internet practice to post ads at the top of the page for years now. Since new post button makes the top of the page start in the middle we just insert an ad there so the top ad is not bypassed. I'm ensuring RCU's long term survival and continued strategy of providing superior services and features to its members. Ad revenue is the lifeblood of our longevity and growth. BTW..this is done on another RC site and nobody says boo because they are used to it. All change is met with some resistance and I expect that. Give it a few weeks (or less) and I'm sure what seemed odd at first will soon seem quite normal and beneficial since the ad makes a clear demarcation between old and new.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Cactus.

it's not Mailwasher tagging the mail, RCU is a friend, and Mailwasher says so, it's the subject line itself which has ***SPAM*** written into it, nowt to do with Mailwasher.
Mailwasher has another way of telling you it might be spam, and it doesn't change the mail to do so.
can't find referance to this anywhere on the net, but it's weird.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:34 AM
mvigod
Banned

don't know. we didn't send it out with that in the subject. others have not received the notice with a different header so I still think it is the mailwasher software or something tagging it due to the html format we used on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.