Notices
FPV Beginners If you are getting started in FPV this is the place to go for help. Experienced members will help the beginners getting started in FPV, so post your questions you have.

getting started in FPV

Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 AM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting started in FPV

i see so many types of set ups.some what lost as to what i should get ?..........so this is what i am looking to do, need a plug and play type set up, not into building 100s of parts, would also like to have a set up that will not go out of date in 3 days, one i can build up as i go......would like to use goggles at one point but a laptop to start is fine (i have a new HP ) would also like to get into compass and height units or is that something you can add later..........any help would be great,,,,,,,,thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 AM
mboland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: getting started in FPV

First decision would be what frequencies you want to use.
If you fly 2.4 then not much point getting 2.4 video. If you want to buzz around fairly close (definitely line of sight) then teh 5.8 GHz would be OK but if you are after range then maybe 900MHz might be better. Make this decision early, and you won't have to change much gear as you progress.

1- for the plane : Camera and TX AND Pan/Tilt
The ability to easily fly FPV really happened with pan/tilt. You can try it with a fixed camera, but don't get discouraged, try it again with pan/tilt.
You can add OSD at any time, so just a camera, TX and pan/tilt will get you going.

2- for the ground : RX, display and head tracker.
FPV comes alive with the goggles. It places you in the cockpit to give that true virtual flight feeling.
The head tracker would not be needed if you don't use a pan/tilt, but you will if you want the experience to work for you.

So a good recipe for dissatisfaction is a fixed camera and trying to fly it on a dull computer screen. You could possibly do it, but I doubt it.

I have sourced all my gear from Range Video http://www.rangevideo.com/
Good gear and good service.