Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Career Opportunities

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Career Opportunities

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Career Opportunities

[link]http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=b3243517-4ebd-4f62-9007-68d5498c4699[/link]
Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 AM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Career Opportunities

Hey T.O.M.; This article is just nice and encouraging but as a professional with several years of experience on the UAV industry I have to say (and to warn) that UAVs are far from airmodels. Airmodels does not need the whole bunch of regulations that UAV needs to fly (even the smallers ones). Industry standars for designing, building and testing for a UAV are really heavy while practically they do not exist for a model airplane... a small UAV could need many months before being client-worthy, not to mention that in many cases (if not all) you'll need Government authorisations for selling or operating them. Note this also: many UAVs, are designed under specific requierements from a defense organism; those requieremnts normally are based on environmental condistions; i.e.: water resistant, harsch conditions such sand of wind; Very high g or crash proof; trasnportability... Does our models airplanes accomplish those requirements? Well, I don't hinks my pattern plane could belly land on a lake and fly again in less than two days nor I don't think that Shadow 200 uses Futaba servo (might, even though).
These are why "...Emery Riddle University is now offering a Bachelor's Degree in Unmanned Aerial Systems. You can get an excellent education with them as well..." as the article points.
I understand that the article's writer could have the scope of encouraging people to get close to UAVs (GREAT!!! they are the future of the world's aeronatic!!!) but to sum up: Modelling just helps, nad no more than that...
Anyway; I'm not writing this for dis encourage people to enter UAV world, but just the opposite, instead I'd like to encourage people to make the move forward knowing what's behid that door... it a beatifull challenge.
Hope it helps;
G.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Career Opportunities

There is considerable interest among RC modelers in obtaining employment in the UAV industry. As an experienced UAV professional I understand that desire but also understand that simply sending out a resume stating that one flies RC, either giant scale or FPV, is not going to get people to where they want to go. It can happen on extremely rare occasions but that is indeed extremely rare. The linked article was to assist in learning about the best ways to gain the knowledge and experience that is required to get to where they want to go. The military is absolutely the best way unless an applicant is an engineer with specialized skills.

Many are tinkering with toy type aircraft and video systems thinking such experience might give them a leg up. it won't because commercial UAS are much more complex and require skill and knowledge far beyond what is obtained from off the shelf hobby equipment. Then one has the focus on clean personal histories and the ability to qualify for specific clearances. The clearances themselves are expensive to obtain and cannot be done on an individual basis. Either the military or sponsoring compnay foots the bill and qualifies people accordingly, normally on a "need to know" basis.

Another way to enter the field is through a couple of colleges. The best is the University of North Dakota that now offers a course leading up to a B.S. in UAV technology. The UND course was built around systems, equipment, and direct instructions received from successful firms producing advanced commercial UAV systems. The second best is Embry Riddle.