Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Automatic Aircraft Stabilization

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Automatic Aircraft Stabilization

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM
mouthpiec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Aircraft Stabilization

Hi all,

I would like to make a project in which I would like to create a software that makes the aircraft fly level when the pilot loose orientation? The module will be triggered once the pilot returns the sticks to neutral.

Attached you can find a simple diagram that describes what I have in mind. It shows that I would like to pass the control of the right stick (in mode 2 TX) to the Level Control Box which will not make any changes on the signals given from the receiver, when when the stick is on neutral position it will be triggered and make the necessary adjustment on the Aileron and the Elevator to make the model fly level.

Regarding the Sensor unit I intend to install two small cameras sensors (one looking forward and another to one of the sides of the aircraft) that look at the horizon and through a software function will return the roll / pitch angles of the aircraft.

What is your feedback about this issue?
Will it be easy to read the signals that are produced by the receiver and fed to the servos?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49834.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1255320  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Quacker

Default RE: Automatic Aircraft Stabilization

Hi,

Developing a system like this should be fun and not too difficult, with the exception of horizon sensing itself. That is always tricky. If it is your objective to take on the challenge of finding the horizon reliably using cameras then let the games begin! But if you don't mind avoiding the sensor development so that your project can move on towards your larger goals, I suggest that you check out the FMA Copilot system. It works remarkably well, is inexpensive, and the output signals can be easily adapted for what you have in mind.

Good luck!
Q
Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
mouthpiec

thanks Quaker ..... but my intentions is to replicate the Co-Pilot system myself :-)
The problems that I am seeing are the interfaces Camera-CPU, CPU-Servo Controller and also the vibration caused by the engine that my disturb the camera.
See this vid that I took: http://www.halfarmodelflying.com/art...&title=Gallery
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
mboland

The servo control and stabilisation are pretty straight forward.
A good place to start would be having a look at the open source code of Ardupilot on DIY Drones in their version 2 software.

They are using the FMA sensors, as is nearly everyone else producing a cheap autopilot, so you might be onto something if you can do image analysis instead of using the IR sensors.
I would see that as the biggest challenge.
Although a camera in each direction would still cost a lot more than the FMA Thermopiles.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: mouthpiec
I would like to make a project in which I would like to create a software that makes the aircraft fly level when the pilot loose orientation? The module will be triggered once the pilot returns the sticks to neutral.
Regarding the Sensor unit I intend to install two small cameras sensors (one looking forward and another to one of the sides of the aircraft) that look at the horizon and through a software function will return the roll / pitch angles of the aircraft.

What is your feedback about this issue?
Will it be easy to read the signals that are produced by the receiver and fed to the servos?

how will you deal with the aircraft attitude at 90 degrees to the horizon, or inverted? From a visual perspective, how can the software tell the difference between the land and the air? that seems to be the biggest challenge.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
mouthpiec

hi,

the issue would be only when inverted.
This project was discarded due to hardware prroblems..... it is very difficult to implement the required software on a simple IC.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:58 PM
mboland

http://www.roborealm.com/ might be of some interest in this area