Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Questions about turbines

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Questions about turbines

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 PM
InigoMontoya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about turbines

Yes, this is my first post to these forums. Not finding too much info on another forum I went to but they refered me here so that's good, I suppose. The other forum is relevant, however, as I figured I would just cut/past my question from there. So....

Originally Posted by InigoMontoya
First, in the name of disclosure I should probably point out that I am not an RC aircraft hobbyist nor do I have any intention of becoming such. What I am is an aerospace engineer who's interested in building a scale model of a concept from the office. It's one of those, "there's no funding for it" concepts but we think that funding may appear if we fly a proof of concept. In other words, a subscale model. Mind you, the model need not do everything the "real" aircraft will do. It doesn't even need to come close. It just needs to prove that our idea isn't bat****e crazy.

Towards that end, it occurs to us that a small turbine engine as seen in model aircraft may be perfect for our needs. Small. Cheap. Commercially off the shelf. What's not to love?

Alas, none of us know jack about what's available. Thus, I come to you.
  • More thrust is obviously better as it allows our model to be closer to full scale.
  • Simple operation would be great as we're not hobbyists. We'll have lots of details to worry about with respect to the big picture. We can't be sitting there on the flight line babying an uncooperative engine.
  • Price? I'll make a guess and say that we're willing to spend up to $10k on the engine.

With all that said... Does anybody have any recommendations? Vendors? A webpage that lists the attributes of various makes/models? Any words of wisdom at all?

If you're still reading, thank you for your time.
More ramblings...

I've learned SOME since that original post, but not much. I tried to contact JetCat but the first guy I talked to was largely clueless (no offense, I was asking some odd questions!) and he tried to refer me to a Bob Wilcox...Who apparently doesn't get into the office until way past the time I've left my office for the field (and I work in an area where cell phones are verbotten). I see Wilcox is a poster in another forum here, I'll have to try that!

I'm looking for a motor probably in the 200-400 N class but I'm flexible. Basically I'm thinking in terms of a vehicle mass on the order of 100-150 pounds. Faster is better. Unmanned, obviously.

Air starting is a must as we're talking a boosted launch. Towards that end I was wondering about going with a 2-fuel motor but replacing the normal propane starting gas with silane. Thoughts on that?

Do any of the hobby vendors allow ECU/FADECs to be programmable by the user?

Meh... This ought to be enough to get a conversation started, I hope.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Quacker

Default RE: Questions about turbines

I'm sure there will be others that have their favorites, but here is a place to start. I've never owned a turbine, but I've been intrigued by them for years.

http://wrenturbines.co.uk/usa/
Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 AM
molo_30

ORIGINAL: InigoMontoya

Yes, this is my first post to these forums. Not finding too much info on another forum I went to but they refered me here so that's good, I suppose. The other forum is relevant, however, as I figured I would just cut/past my question from there. So....

Originally Posted by InigoMontoya
First, in the name of disclosure I should probably point out that I am not an RC aircraft hobbyist nor do I have any intention of becoming such. What I am is an aerospace engineer who's interested in building a scale model of a concept from the office. It's one of those, ''there's no funding for it'' concepts but we think that funding may appear if we fly a proof of concept. In other words, a subscale model. Mind you, the model need not do everything the ''real'' aircraft will do. It doesn't even need to come close. It just needs to prove that our idea isn't bat****e crazy.

Towards that end, it occurs to us that a small turbine engine as seen in model aircraft may be perfect for our needs. Small. Cheap. Commercially off the shelf. What's not to love?

Alas, none of us know jack about what's available. Thus, I come to you.
  • More thrust is obviously better as it allows our model to be closer to full scale.
  • Simple operation would be great as we're not hobbyists. We'll have lots of details to worry about with respect to the big picture. We can't be sitting there on the flight line babying an uncooperative engine.
  • Price? I'll make a guess and say that we're willing to spend up to $10k on the engine.

With all that said... Does anybody have any recommendations? Vendors? A webpage that lists the attributes of various makes/models? Any words of wisdom at all?

If you're still reading, thank you for your time.
More ramblings...

I've learned SOME since that original post, but not much. I tried to contact JetCat but the first guy I talked to was largely clueless (no offense, I was asking some odd questions!) and he tried to refer me to a Bob Wilcox...Who apparently doesn't get into the office until way past the time I've left my office for the field (and I work in an area where cell phones are verbotten). I see Wilcox is a poster in another forum here, I'll have to try that!

I'm looking for a motor probably in the 200-400 N class but I'm flexible. Basically I'm thinking in terms of a vehicle mass on the order of 100-150 pounds. Faster is better. Unmanned, obviously.

Air starting is a must as we're talking a boosted launch. Towards that end I was wondering about going with a 2-fuel motor but replacing the normal propane starting gas with silane. Thoughts on that?

Do any of the hobby vendors allow ECU/FADECs to be programmable by the user?

Meh... This ought to be enough to get a conversation started, I hope.

Hi there, first off, a off the shelf turbine for rc aircraft in the 40-80lbs thrust class is possible. 80lbs is where the current line of mainstream engines top out.

Could you pm me with more info and I will see what info I can get for you.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM
spectre drone

Hello Montoya, I am also building a large scale prototype drone specifically for the Allison 250 B 17.
Engineered by a few ofthe best.Presently I have a completed rolling airframe in need of a turbine. Just for the record my design speed is 400 mph, empty weight 1750#, pay load over 1500#, range 1600 miles +.
The wing isa high lift lamiter flow type wing some where between 26' and 32' depending on performance. This does not mean that the wing couldn't be longer for other uses.
Your best bet is to find anold run out turbine. $10,000 good luck.
Worry about cooling the hot section if you use the pusher configuration.

Rick

Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 AM
MITFREAK

Check with Modellbau USA [email protected]we purchased 2 turbines from them 1 was 80lb of thrust and the other 150lb of thrust. very good engines