Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

T8J Flap programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T8J Flap programming

In this radio, is it possible to assign flap deployment to a 3-position switch and have two flap settings? Such as: position 1 = no flaps, position 2 = 10% flaps, position 3 = 25% flaps? Perhaps in one of the mixing screens?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM

Default RE: T8J Flap programming

Ken,

Have you seen that you can use the AUX-CHAN function to assign any switch to the flap receiver outputs, outputs 5,6,7 and 8. So you can assign the 3 position switch C to say, flap outputs 5 and 7. Then you get three flap positions on switch C and can apply other functions to adjust the amount of movement although I don't think you can adjust the effect of the switch middle position; it will probably have to be half the total movement. However you could assign VR instead of switch C to the two flap outputs and have a completely adjustable flap position.

Angelotti.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Angelotti,

Thanks for your resonse. I'm new to this radio so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
I'm a little confused by your suggestion to use channels 5 and 7 and assign them both to switch C. First , I think the radio would see that as a conflict and second, are you suggesting plugging the flaps servo(s) into the 5 and 7 ports on the receiver?

<strike>Assigning channel 6 (normal flap channel) to switch C doesn't seem to allow different end points for different switch positions.</strike> Wrong! End points <u>can</u> be adjusted. I think this can be done but I'll have to work on it.

I find using the VR to try to set a pre-determined flap angle during the landing approach is difficult at best.

Thanks,
Ken

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To put flaps on a 3-position switch, you only need to perform a few simple steps. First, determine which switch you want to use to activate the flaps. In our example, we're going to use Switch G on our transmitter.

Go into the Menu and then move the cursor to the third page, and to the "AUX-CHAN" function. Channels 5, 6, 7 and 8 will be displayed, and you can choose any of them. IF you are using a function such as Aileron Differential, Flaperon, or Ailevator, then you may see a channel or two lined-out. You will not be able to use them.

If you are using two flap servos, you can either select one channel to control them and use a "Y" harness in the model, or use two channels in the transmitter. In our case, we'll use two channels in the transmitter: Channel 5 and Channel 6. We moved the cursor to the Channel 5 control and set it to "SWG". We did the same for Channel 6. Now, both channels 5 and 6 are controlled by Switch G.

To actually get the flaps set up, install the servos in the model, and turn on your system. Set the flap switch (switch G in this case) to the center position. The servo should be centered, with the output arm at 90-degrees to the servo body. Adjust the flap linkages so that you have both flaps at the 1/2-flap position. Once you have that done, move the switch to the "Flaps Up" position. Go into the Menu and move to the "END POINT" function. Move the cursor to channel 5 and set the highlighted endpoint to the setting that has the flap fully-retracted. Do the same for channel 6.

To set the full, "Flaps Down" position, move the switch to the full Flaps Down position and set the highlighted endpoint so that the flaps are positioned as you want them. Do this for both channels. You're done!

Of course, if you only want to use one channel, then all of the above gets done only to the channel you want to use for flaps If you are using up channels for a variety of functions, this may be your only option. Using two channels makes it easy to get both flaps set up exactly the same. If you must use a "Y" harness, you'll have to do a lot of adjusting of the linkages to get them moving exactly together if you don't want to use something like the Futaba FUTM4155 MSA10 SERVO SYNCHRONIZER. The Servo Synchronizer allows you to use one channel to control up to four servos, and you can set centering, direction, and endpoints as well as use a separate battery pack to power those servos. A very handy device to use if you're using a lot of servos.

Hope this helps you out.

[Previous discussion deleted because this is the Futaba Direct Support Forum, and only Futaba Support Representatives are permitted to answer questions here, per RCU rules.]
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Bax,

THANK YOU! Your step-by-step is easy to follow, even for me!

Ken