Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Continuing 12Z woes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuing 12Z woes...

Hi Bill/any/all...

Once again I'm at my wits end with my 12z whilst trying to setup even the most basic functions (not your fault or problem, just frustrated). Instead of flying with my buddies today, I've spent 4+ hours trying to setup a P-mix for an auxiliary channel to control throttle (via rotary knob) to allow my throttle stick to be at idle and to provide a sound card just enough input to keep the sound running without executing a shutdown sequence.

The YT video explaining this for another radio brand simply puts a p-mix with the aux as the master and throttle as the slave with 100% and as the assigned rotary knob is turned, the motor starts at the lowest rpm and the sound card begins it's start-up sequence.

I have:

Setup a linear p-mix with Aux1 as the master (link off, trim off) and throttle as the slave (link off, stk-stk off)(Fine tuning null, 0%)
Assigned the aux1 channel to knob LD.
Assigned the mix switch (on/off) to SF as I will need to turn this off so the prop doesn't turn at idle when I don't want it to.
Enabled the mix (Aux to throttle, mode = mixing, group = group)

I can see the line on the graph move when the rotary knob is turned and see the mix turn on and off with SF but nothing happens to the throttle on the plane. I don't see the line move with the throttle stick either.

I've tried every setting that I have access to in the P-mix menu to no avail.

The manual is almost hopeless and I've not found anything online to address p-mixes on the 12z let alone anything close to what I need to do. It's not rocket science but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

After 30 years of flying Futaba and loving it, I'm seriously looking at other radios to get flying again. I'm totally discouraged that there is no after market documentation/manuals or even a course I can take to learn this!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by v6goose; 08-18-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whenever a mix is used, the action of the master channel is added to the movement of the slave channel, up to the movement limit set in the End Point (ATV) screen of the Linkage Menu. For example, with any channel or hardware set as master and the throttle is slave, when the mix is 100% for both directions, that will be added to the throttle's movement. That means that when the throttle stick is at idle, and you move the master up 100%, the throttle channel will move to the midpoint. The throttle channel will follow the master exactly only when the stick is at the midpoint.

What is the product you're trying to use? What kind of interaction are you trying to achieve? Since we're not at all familiar with the product you're using, we do not know how the programming is supposed to be worked out. Is the throttle supposed to be the master and the device on the slave channel? How is the device supposed to function? A thorough understanding of how the device functions will go a long way towards getting the transmitter programmed.

Can you help us with that?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Hi Bill...

Thanks for your quick reply and the explanation of how the p-mix works, understood.

The product is a Mr RC Sound (card) and is Y'd in between the ESC and channel 3 on the receiver (foam warbird). When the throttle is advanced, a start up sound sequence runs for 30 seconds and then an engine sound whose pitch is aligned to the throttle position is played. In order to synchronize the start up sound with the motor spinning at it's minimum rpm, the manufacturer added a p-mix to his setup with an auxiliary channel & rotary knob being the master for the throttle. This solution doesn't interfere with the trim for throttle.

This was to allow him to a)set the mix so the sound begins as the motor begins and to b)stop the shut down sequence from running when the throttle was back in the idle position (I'm guessing because the aux knob is now providing a few % of throttle so the card doesn't see idle until the knob is at zero after landing).

I think this is his solution to sub-trimming the throttle to align it with the initiation point on the sound card. P-mix might not be the right tool from the 12z perspective but seemed simple enough from the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNBDzGuCOQU

I was not able to get any throttle movement from the rotary switch so I have missed a critical setting somewhere.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by v6goose; 08-18-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try using the Throttle Cut function in the Linkage Menu to activate the cutoff. I'm not sure how this would work, though. It may mess up the start sequence.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 AM

Thanks for your reply Bill.