Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

9C - UltraStick 60 - Crow and Full Span Ailerons - I’m confused.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 06:39 PM
moses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C - UltraStick 60 - Crow and Full Span Ailerons - I’m confused.

Hi AnnMarie,

I have the new 9C radio and I am setting up an UltraStick 60 with ailerons and flaps. The 9C is my first computer radio. The manual and the FAQ are very helpful but this is a complicated radio and my brain can only absorb things slowly. I just want to make sure I understand what is going on before I complete the set-up and fly the plane.

I followed the instructions in the FAQ and hooked the servos up as specified:
1=Right Aileron, 6= Left Aileron
2=Elevator
3=Throttle
4=Rudder
5=Blank
7=Left Flap, 8=Right Flap

In setting up operation of the flap servos, the FAQ says “remember to adjust your linkage and servo geometry so [left] slider all the way up is 0 flap and [left] slider all the way down is 100% down flap”.

If I want to use full span ailerons, don’t I need to center the flap servos, and accordingly, set the left slider to:
slider all the way up = 100% up flap (spoiler ?)
slider in the middle = 0% flap
slider all the way down = 100% down flap

This is how I set my plane up. I centered the left slider (so that the flap servos were centered), and installed the flap linkages so that there is 0 flap. This leaves full throws - up and down - for when the flap servos are used as ailerons. The way I figure it, if the slider all the way up is 0 flap, than the radio will be unable to drive the flaps above the wing surface and full span ailerons will not work.

With my current set-up Crow (AirBrake) and elevator-to-flaperon are working as expected. I figure that all I need to do now is mix ch 1 to ch 8 +100% and ch 1 to ch 7 -100% and assign the mix to a switch to have full span ailerons.

Does this sound OK. What am I missing here?

Thanks
Moses
Old 08-19-2002, 08:46 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, Moses!

You're right on the money. the FAQ doesn't set up for full span ailerons. that's one more level of complexity, and it isn't taken into account in this setup, which was meant to be as easy as possible for someone just learning the radio/etc. You've obviously got a great handle on your radio's logic already!
Old 08-20-2002, 02:02 AM
moses

Thanks for the fast reply AnnMarie. I was hoping I was on the right track. I just added two more mixes for full span ailerons and everything is working - crow (AirBrake), elevator-to-flaperon and full span ailerons. I actually put in a rudder-to-elevator mix and a rudder-to-aileron mix but I left them inhibited for now. I am really looking forward to trying out all these mixes.

Regards,
Moses
Old 08-20-2002, 12:20 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Congrats, MOses! You sure picked it up quickly! Happy flying!